Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A1 Rated concrete house being built in Co Westmeath by Irish Concrete Federation

• 01-09-2008 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Sitting in the doctors office this morning, I came across an article in the current issue of Engineers Journal on the above.

Some details can be found on www.irishconcrete.ie

The essential features I recall are :
    Raft foundations are built on suitable insulation material.

The walls are 4" solids on flat [ Sinnerboy smiling here:) ] , giving a 215 solid wall with 300 mm external insulation and wet plaster inside for air-tightness.
    The first floor is 100 mm hollow core with 100mm screed.

What struck me most about the project was that the house is L shaped and not the dull box types that are sometimes associated with energy efficient houses.

Will see if I can source the article.

There are also some free publications on the above website relating to thermal mass and other matters.

[Move if not in right section.]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I'm always smiling :D . Keep healthy , a chara .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

topcatcbr wrote: »

No, I have been in touch with the Concrete Federation and have asked for the article to be pdf'ed and posted on that site, I will be back when it is done.
    In the interim if anyone wants to PM me I can tell u who is doing the insulation and the render.
    Keep well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Interesting ircoha,
    as an aside, I did a prelim BER on a concrete house recently.

standard 310 cavity wall with 60mm insulation,
    floors and roofs to Part L 2007 min standard,
    solar to provide at least 10 KWh (6m came in at 11KWh)
    gas boiler etc,

came in at a very low B1, minor adjustment in roof, A3 (Barely above part L min)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anyone know where in Westmeath the build is? I'm in Mullingar, if it's not too far I would pop around and get some photos.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Do-more wrote: »
    Anyone know where in Westmeath the build is? I'm in Mullingar, if it's not too far I would pop around and get some photos.

Its a private house that is being built as opposed to a show house so.....

Update 2/09/08:
    A video is being made of the whole build so ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

You have to do a lot more to your build than just insulation to get an A1 rating.
    Doesn't matter if its conc or timber frame or straw bale :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

ircoha wrote: »
    Raft foundations are built on suitable insulation material
    What insulative material can be placed underneath the raft?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eurorunner wrote: »

high strength / density structural polystyrene.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    high strength / density structural polystyrene.
    How cost effective is this relative to the u value benefits?
    How much space does it take up?
    I take it this doesnt replace the regular insulation that goes in before finished floor goes in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

It doesn't NEED to be UNDER the raft - just minimize the thermal btidge at the floor junction to 0.01 - it's not that difficult to do with any wall type - just increasing insulation thickness/overlap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

How cost effective is this relative to the u value benefits?
    How much space does it take up?
    I take it this doesnt replace the regular insulation that goes in before finished floor goes in?

It really only makes financial sense if you are building a passive house and can offset the additional cost of the raft against the heating system you won't be putting in.

In a passive house it can replace the insulation that goes in before the finished floor goes in.

ardara1 wrote: »
    It doesn't NEED to be UNDER the raft - just minimize the thermal btidge at the floor junction to 0.01 - it's not that difficult to do with any wall type - just increasing insulation thickness/overlap
    So basically, when putting in rigid insulation underneath floor screed, pay particular attention around the edges - and increase thickness around the edges. Thats what your saying right?

So basically, when putting in rigid insulation underneath floor screed, pay particular attention around the edges - and increase thickness around the edges. Thats what your saying right?

The difference between the 'under raft' insulation and the standard irish situation is that the under raft type gives you a complete insulation envelope, completely uninterrupted. The standard situation has the insulation envelope punctured at every location a blockwall rises from the foundations. there is no real way to counteract this, all you can do is minimse the resultant impact by adhering to good practise such as beginning the cavity insulation 225mm below the finish floor level and increasing the insulation around the edges of the block walls.

see best practises here, page 2:
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/masonry_cavity_wall_insulation_illustrations.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Here's some info on insulated foundation systems.

Insulated foundation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭conor2949

Hi Ircoha,

could you pm the details of who is doing the external render?

thanks
    conor2949

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

conor2949 wrote: »
    Hi Ircoha,

could you pm the details of who is doing the external render?

thanks
    conor2949
    Ircoha has been site banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    Ircoha has been site banned.
    And I would hasten to add that it had nothing whatsoever to do with this forum before anyone asks.

Draging up an old thread. I have a friend (civil eng) who would like to build a passive house but doesnt like timber frame. What are the alternatives. Has anyone got details of a conc built passive house. what are the design criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

1st PHI certified passive house in Ireland- Mosart house (google it ) - ext wall spec is 215 solid block + 300 EPS ext ins + render . U value 0.1

• Advertisement

great idea however im not a fan of the looks. It looks a bit like a big shed.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    great idea however im not a fan of the looks. It looks a bit like a big shed.

basic principles of passive is to have the least 'envelope' to floor area ratio, also as few wall, floor and roof types as possible.

but saying that, passive houses can be very well designed, depending on the talent of the architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 onanist

I am interested in building an earthshore house , but have recently been left without a site!! Surely this would be the ideal way to reduce exposure to the elements and hills are always good for wind turbines. Can I canvass opinion on what other low carbon principles/ products would be most cost effective on an elevated site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 memal

Do-more wrote: »
    I know where that house is but it is not open to public yet until july of this year and by appointment only.It is off the road so photos are not possible and acess is impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 memal

i seen that house in a couple of mags now and i got a chance to visit it .but only by appointment.

Advertisement