Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How hot can i keep my QX9650 at before its dangerous

• 01-09-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

I want to know how far i can push this chip before causing damage to it.
    At the moment the idel temps are around 31c on all cores.
    Im using a Thermalright 120 Extreme heatsink on it. And i dont even have a cooling fan straped to the heat sink. Must say the heat sink is great but also is my Antec 900 case.. Has this nice 200mm fan blowing at low speeds just above my heatsink which i think helps keep it very cool.

So whats safe temp to run it 24/7 ?

At the moment i have it clocked at 3840mhz. But have not stressed all 4 cores at the same time yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

BadCharlie wrote: »
    I want to know how far i can push this chip before causing damage to it.
    At the moment the idel temps are around 31c on all cores.
    Im using a Thermalright 120 Extreme heatsink on it. And i dont even have a cooling fan straped to the heat sink. Must say the heat sink is great but also is my Antec 900 case.. Has this nice 200mm fan blowing at low speeds just above my heatsink which i think helps keep it very cool.

So whats safe temp to run it 24/7 ?

At the moment i have it clocked at 3840mhz. But have not stressed all 4 cores at the same time yet.

I would only start getting worried around the 70 degree mark.

My B3 stepping Q6600 regularly idles in the 40 degree range and can hit over 60 degrees when the weather is hot @stock/2.7GHZ

Clocked up to 3GHz it gets messy.

Thats using the same cooler as yourself :eek:. It used to hit over 70 degrees with a Arctic cooling Freezer7 cooler @stock....

I prob could lap the cpu and the base of the cpu cooler but I really couldn't be arsed.

Might do at some stage if I get bored.
    (boredom and pcs:never a good mix :D)

Advertisement