Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone cycle Anglesea Rd. D4 in the mornings? what's it like?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone know does Anglesea rd., d4, have a cycle lane inbound towards city centre?
    Outbound?

what's traffic like on that rd. in the morning and is there bike room to the left of it?

I'm thinking of changing my route to eliminate a very busy right turn.

Any info would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a narrow road without cycle lanes, not really any bike room on the left of it. Traffic is generally at a standstill so you should be able to overtake the traffic on the right easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

thanks for the update. back to the drawing board...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What's your commute?

commutedz0.th.jpg

I'm trying to eliminate the right turn on Sandford rd.
    Even though there is a filter there it is a bit mental - lots going on, can even get emerging cars (moving south west on map) crossing your path as you turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Go up to the canal and take the right there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Howitzer wrote: »
    I'm trying to eliminate the right turn on Sandford rd.
    Even though there is a filter there it is a bit mental - lots going on, can even get emerging cars (moving south west on map) crossing your path as you turn right.
    I think your current commute is fine. I make that same right turn every day onto Marlborough Road and honestly can't figure why you would think there is anything wrong with it, there is a turn lane and all you have to do is just sit in the turn box until there is a gap in the oncoming traffic or you get the filter light. What do you mean by emerging cars? (Obviously you have to yield to oncoming traffic when making a right turn.) If you have problems with that one I doubt you would much like the junction around Donnybrook church so I would advise against Anglesea Road.

I find myself stood there facing oncoming traffic for quite a while.
    You get a number of motorbikes overtaking slow traffic and then coming head on towards you. You also end up competing with cars emerging from the left further on who want the same gaps you do. Personally I find it damn busy until that light goes green.

Marlborough is lousy these days with school and bin day is a pain.

If I can cut it out I will. Maybe heading to the canal is the trick.
    cheers

You can give it a go if you like but I doubt you will find cycling through Ranelagh and then turning right onto the canal is any better (in fact I have a suspicion you can't make a right turn onto the canal, and it is a difficult junction to do an illegal one.)

EDIT: Through Ranelagh you will generally find the cycle lane blocked at some point by a parked car and the entire road will be a big traffic jam, not fun. Marginally better would be to make a illegal right on to Sallymount Avenue (more doable than the canal) or a legal right turn onto Chelmsford Road and then down Leeson Park.

Something that might be worth considering- there is a cycleable path down the other side of the river, alongside but not through Herbert Park. There is a pedestrian bridge over the river from Beaver Row just around the "A" point in
    this map
    , so you could turn off down Beaver Row, across the pedestrian bridge, avoiding the junction at Donnybrook church, across Donnybrook Road and straight down that path. Not on the map but you can cycle all the way over to just immediately opposite Shelbourne Road. You then can continue your commute as normal along Shelbourne Road, although you will have to get across three lanes of traffic in Ballsbridge into the right turning lane.

Personally I still think you are a wuss over the right turn onto Marlborough Road mind :D

Cheers for that blorg.

For the record I am not a wuss, but if anyone knows how to keep my cotton-wool suit from getting trapped in the front chain-wheel, let me know ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

if you really fear for your safety you can go almost through the junction heading for ranelagh, but pull in and then cross with the traffic lights. alternatively you could turn right one road earlier and down beaumont avenue I think it's called, just opposite the milltown college of religion or whatever, and then up along the donnybrook road. Probably equally as bad to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I used to do pretty much this exact route, but from Clonskeagh..

My checkpoints would be (don't know how to make a custom route..) Windy Arbour Luas stop (turn opposite left after the abandoned Texaco in Churchtown), across Luas tracks and onto the Mental institute (Dundrum rd.) Across Bird avenue & down Clonskeagh rd infront of UCD turn down Beaver row straight through Donnybrook junction, into Ballsbridge and continue pretty much straight down the side of the Dodder (really nice wake up apart from the pollution) and just follow it until you get to the Grand Canal Basin (your destination by the look of it).

That's the route I figured out after 20 years living in this area, it's the flattest route too, saves the horrible climb through the 9 arches! It is actually a pretty nice cycle, not too far and takes advantage of the fact you're on a bike!

Mine's just an idea, try to be creative! Try a few different routes, I always changed nearly everyday! I could ride through the park and hop the steps if I had the energy, or cruise outside along the Dodder.. So many different way, just haven't the energy to type them all out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Wez wrote: »
    I used to do pretty much this exact route, but from Clonskeagh..

My checkpoints would be (don't know how to make a custom route..) Windy Arbour Luas stop (turn opposite left after the abandoned Texaco in Churchtown), across Luas tracks and onto the Mental institute (Dundrum rd.) Across Bird avenue & down Clonskeagh rd infront of UCD turn down Beaver row straight through Donnybrook junction, into Ballsbridge and continue pretty much straight down the side of the Dodder (really nice wake up apart from the pollution) and just follow it until you get to the Grand Canal Basin (your destination by the look of it).

That's the route I figured out after 20 years living in this area, it's the flattest route too, saves the horrible climb through the 9 arches! It is actually a pretty nice cycle, not too far and takes advantage of the fact you're on a bike!

Mine's just an idea, try to be creative! Try a few different routes, I always changed nearly everyday! I could ride through the park and hop the steps if I had the energy, or cruise outside along the Dodder.. So many different way, just haven't the energy to type them all out!

There's a shortcut to Clonskeagh Village from the mental hospital, avoiding Bird Ave. Heading towards town on the Dundrum Rd., take the right hand turn just after the mental hospital (before the shops) then take the first left, first right and you'll come out beside spar in Clonskeagh Village. Save a min or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,373 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take the park from Milltown to Clonskeagh, down Beech Hill and Beaver Row, across the pedestrian bridge, behind hte petrol station, across Donnybrook Road, down the side of the Rugby Club, along the river path and back onto your current route.

In extreme situations the path in the park may flood slightly, but I've only ever seen it happen once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

After you turn right at the dropping well, take the next left up the hill (Richmond Ave South). This is possibly the only road in Dublin dedicated to cyclists only, as there is no left turn for other road users between 7-10 am. Cross over the Luas line at Cowper station, and you'll come out Merton Road onto Ranalagh. Instead of your direct right turn to Marlborough, you come out at the side of that junction, so you go right then left to get onto Marlborough.

You're right that Marlborough is a bit of a pain with all the schools traffic (including a fair number of pupils driving themselves!).

Advertisement