Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston next Summer

• 01-09-2008 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi,
    Myself and my friend are looking at heading to Boston next Summer for 3 months. We're not planning to work while over there. I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice on anything at all like what documentation we need (Holdiay Visa) and where to stay? Is our best option to rent an apartment for 3 months?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

lint316 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Myself and my friend are looking at heading to Boston next Summer for 3 months. We're not planning to work while over there. I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice on anything at all like what documentation we need (Holdiay Visa) and where to stay? Is our best option to rent an apartment for 3 months?

Cheers

Boston is a small city, about Dublin size, what would you do for 3 months ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Enjoy the sun, enjoy not working, Drink loads, visit New York and Cape Cod....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

lint316 wrote: »
    Enjoy the sun, enjoy not working, Drink loads, visit New York and Cape Cod....

Hope you are over 21, you will not get a drink in Boston or Cape Cod other wise.

Oh and cape cod is overrated, Newport R.I. is much better, but expensive

Make sure you have plenty of money, you will see your money go fairly fast over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Yeah I'm 23. I've been to Cape Cod before I thought it was great. That was a good few years ago though. I wouldnt know much about the nightlife there. You cant go wrong for a weekend all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

have to agree boston is a bit dry to be honest not much to do esp if ur not workin- if ur still in coll get the j1 visa best option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bunnyfox7

I spent 4 months in Boston last summer, went with a small group of friends. Had possibly one of the best summers of my life. Was 22 going over, and there was only 2 of us over 21...they are pretty strict with the over 21 rule, so me and my friend had to buy the drinks all of the time. Me and 3 of the group ended up working down at Boston Harbour in what I believe is called the Boston Pushcart, and 2 of the others were working in an ice cream shop. The jobs were mostly crap but good fun to work in & we got to meet lots of people, irish & american(obviously!!). Boston is pretty decently sized but you will see all of it in little time..so if your going don't do everything the first week! The shopping there is fantastic...and the ice cream shops are amazing!! :p A bunch of us knew some people from Providence in Rhode Island which was handy cuz we got to visit them a few times (Rhode Island is beautiful, but not much public transport, our friends there had cars)... We also headed to New York on a 4 day trip which was pretty cool, bus-ed it there and stayed in good hostel accommodation...thumbs up anyway! If you want to ask further questions I'd be glad to help you out, so you can just mail me. All in all, it was a great trip, and to be honest I actually shed some tears leaving the place cuz it's like a home away from home really. It's a great place to head while your in college just for the experience alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

my sister just got back from boston, she went for two months and didnt work but she was with her friends who were on a J1, have to say she wasnt very impressed, weather wasnt that good and there wasnt a huge amount to do. Night life wasn't up too much even for over 21's but thats just what she said!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i was in maine this past summer and spent about 10 days in total in boston, i stayed in north end if you can afford it its defo worth it its like temple bar in dublin right in the center of everything

i loved boston thought it was way nicer than new york(although i like ny too) and there is loads of places to go at night

however i wouldnt go for 3 months and not work its not a cheap city and while you wont get bored probably you will be doing the same things as far as night life goes over again

the weather in mass/maine/newhampshire can be stormy at times during the summer but should mainly be sunny and hot and humid

if you do decide to go anyway i would recommend going to www.skydivenewengland.com and doing a jump(ill be working there next summer again) and going to millinocket to this place for whitewater rafting http://www.jumpnraft.com/outpost.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I also spent 2 months in Boston this summer, stayed in Brighton Ave and loved it.. we normally stayed in Brighton/Brookline area drinking, met lots of cool people and had a great laugh.. I am actually on two pool teams over there, one in Dorchester and one in Brighton, I'll resume next year then head to Vegas with the team. The people are so relaxed and easy going, the Boston accent is also one of the best american accents you'll find. Downtown Boston isn't huge so visit south Boston and the surrounding towns and cities, you'll have plenty to do in the 3 months.

Alot of students sublet their apartments for the Summer so they can keep them for the college year. I would definitely recommend getting an apartment, Brighton is a nice place to live and 20 mins on the T to Govt Centre. Any questions feel free to PM me because I'm probably leaving plenty out.

Definitely go to NY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 soloparadox

Best places to live are either the Allston/Brighton area or Cambridge. The red line (Cambridge) is really efficient so if you live near this you will be sorted for transportation. The Green lines (Allston/Brighton) differ in efficiency, stay away from the B line, the C is ok and the D is the best. In terms of accommodation the closer you can get to a T (the tram subway line) station the better. I wouldn't bother living anywhere other than west Boston. I guarantee you will find someplace that looks great in Dorchester or some other South Boston neighborhood but the area is no where near as fun imo. Accommodation will be pretty tough to get but try on the net and don't despair if you have nothing on arrival, you might have a rough week or two finding a place in Brighton but it will be well worth it.

I have had some of the best nights out of my life in Boston. The Allston/Brighton area is hopping throughout the college year, you will find plenty of good offers in terms of drinks too. Rogies on comm ave do $1 drinks most nights and Kells do the same offer on Wednesdays. Don't make the mistake so many j1ers do and limit yourself to the Brighton area. There are some great nights out to be had in the city, Lansdown st across from fenway has some cool bars and clubs, the Boylston area is a great laugh as well particularly the liquor store club (they serve drinks as you would in a liquor store right down to the 40's in brown paper bags). I found Faneuil Hall which was touted to me as the epicenter of the Boston nightlife to be pretty bare in comparison to the other 2 central locations but still well worth a look especially if you are there for 3 months. There are some great bars and clubs in Cambridge too unfortunately i didn't get to go out there very often but when i did i had a great time.

The weather is good overall but you will see some rain and lots of thunder storms. Don't worry though these usually only last for a few hours and then the sun will be back out again. Boston doesn't have the best beaches in the world (revere is a joke don't even bother checking it out), not to worry though just hop in the commuter rail (which is cheap and attached to some T stations ie. North Station) and there is a great choice of (sort of) nearby beaches. Singer Beach in Manchester (40 mins away) was my favorite. If you live in Boston you will see that it is a much bigger place than you might first assume, while the city centre is about Dublin size the metro area is over 3 times the size of Dublin's equivalent and there is a ridiculous amount of nearby cities to visit. The best advice i could give you is if you are going for 3 months try and make it April/May/June rather than June/July/August the college crowd>>>>>>>>>>>the summer crowd by so much.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rachelgordon

me and 4 friends are headin over to the cape for the summer on a J1 visa. any1 have any info on jobs, accomodation etc?!!

Advertisement