Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic coach Neil Lennon left needing hospital treatment after attack

• 01-09-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭

CELTIC coach Neil Lennon was treated in hospital last night after being attacked by three thugs.

The controversial former Hoops star was drinking in the trendy Ashton Lane in Glasgow's West End after his team's 4-2 defeat to arch rivals Rangers.

It is believed he was goaded by drunken Rangers fans before the violence broke out.

Lennon was taken to the nearby Western Infirmary, where he was treated for injuries before being released.

A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman said yesterday: "Police were called around 12.25am to a report of a 37-year-old man assaulted in Ashton Lane, Glasgow.

"The injured man was taken to hospital then discharged after treatment for minor injuries.

"He did not wish to make a complaint, however police enquiries are ongoing into the incident."

Lennon has been involved in violent scrapes in the city in the past and has been targeted by some hooligans, partly due to his combative playing style and his Northern Irish background.

The atmosphere in the city last night was charged by Celtic's earlier match with Rangers, in which they were beaten 4-2.

Utter tripe!

This is the third or fourth time Lennon has been attacked and it's got nothing to do with his "combative" playing style.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well on other forums it says that Lennon is known a s a bit of a prat around Glasgow. I'm certainly not condoning what happened but the people saying that are quite in the know up there. 'No smoke...' and all that.

EDIT - For example (NOT MY WORDS) -
    Neil Lennons also a ****. Everyman and his dog in Glasgow knows the bars he drinks in. I didnt even need to read the end of the story to know it would have been in Ashton Lane. Its the night of an old firm game in which his team was right royaly horsed so should have been keeping a low profile if not out at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Thats absolutely terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

No interest in scottish football either way but that's shocking. Hope the fella recovers OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well on other forums it says that Lennon is known a s a bit of a prat around Glasgow. I'm certainly not condoning what happened but the people saying that are quite in the know up there. 'No smoke...' and all that.

What smoke?

Guys of an Irish background associated with Celtic should hide in Glasgow when Celtic lose? It is unnaceptible to assault a player or coach full stop. He should not have to lie low to to appease the bigots.

Thats a very dangerous post Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What smoke?

Guys of an Irish background associated with Celtic should hide in Glasgow when Celtic lose? It is unnaceptible to assault a player or coach full stop. He should not have to lie low to to appease the bigots.

Dangerous how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

But Xavi, of course he's known as a prat around Glasgow by Rangers fans!

You cannot believe a word said by fans of Celtic and Rangers about their rivals. You'll see far more lies than truth.

I've always thought Lennon comes across as a nice/decent bloke. But I think he's getting a bit long in the tooth to be going out on the town after a derby game.

But Xavi, of course he's known as a prat around Glasgow by Rangers fans!

You cannot believe a word said by fans of Celtic and Rangers about their rivals. You'll see far more lies than truth.

I've always thought Lennon comes across as a nice/decent bloke. But I think he's getting a bit long in the tooth to be going out on the town after a derby game.

Who is 'lying' here? Are you saying he invented the attack?

Statement of fact. Recently Aiden McGeady and Neil Lennon have (more than once) been attacked by Rangers fans.

Statement of fact. No Rangers players or staff have suffered the same fate.

Dangerous how?

You are saying that its somehow justified because he has a 'reputation' amongst certain Rangers fans and that he should 'hide' from these thugs.

Blaming the victim is a very, very dodgy road to go down.

Who is 'lying' here? Are you saying he invented the attack?

Statement of fact. Recently Aiden McGeady and Neil Lennon have (more than once) been attacked by Rangers fans.

Statement of fact. No Rangers players or staff have suffered the same fate.

WTF are you talking about ????

I said nothing about Lennon inventing anything. Jeez Louise, catch a grip :rolleyes:

WTF are you talking about ????

I said nothing about Lennon inventing anything. Jeez Louise, catch a grip :rolleyes:

You introduced the word 'lies' into the equation..... It implied that someone was, well, lying.

If this was a coach at some English club there would be uproar. Its at Celtic, so somehow he brought it upon himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rangers are the devil.

FACT.

(please note that the use of the word "fact" above, along with the "caps" and "fullstop" that makes any statement preceeding it as being undeniably the truth. Arguments will not be tolerated)

You introduced the word 'lies' into the equation..... It implied that someone was, well, lying.

If this was a coach at some English club there would be uproar. Its at Celtic, so somehow he brought it upon himself.
    I don't know if its reading or comprehension thats you're problem. But its one or the other. Maybe you should start again at the top.

I don't know if its reading or comprehension thats you're problem. But its one or the other. Maybe you should start again at the top.

A Celtic fan reports Neil Lennon gets attacked.

You start in about how Celtic and Rangers fans lie about each other.

Please explain how I'm misreading or miscomprehending what you were trying to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Darren O'Dea was arrested a couple of weeks ago for defending McGeady outside a nightclub. McGeady has been involved in a few incidents. I wonder why.

You nearly have it there.
    Try reading from the top a third time.

Slowly and carefully. And note who replies to who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Please explain how I'm misreading or miscomprehending what you were trying to say?

I think it's pretty obvious to most that he was referring to the opinion given of Lennon posted by Xavi. Keep up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Bad year for rangers fans.

Not that it's anything out of the order, but because of the UEFA final, it's more public this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Glasgow seems like a horrid place to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If this happened at an English club, it would be "Another examples of English thugs". as its Scotland, its only the Rangers fans that get the abuse.

Lets face it, they all wear skirts and eat deep fried mars bars. they are all flippin mad up there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Darren O'Dea was arrested a couple of weeks ago for defending McGeady outside a nightclub. McGeady has been involved in a few incidents. I wonder why.

Darren O'Dea actually got charged for that and fined £40 for breach of the peace!

• Advertisement

well he was fighting outside a nightclub!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Glasgow seems like a horrid place to live in.

It's not.
    I've lived there.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    well he was fighting outside a nightclub!?

There's a difference between fighting and getting attacked.

There's a difference between fighting and getting attacked.

And considering he was charged I'm sure the authorities believed it to be the former.

DSB wrote: »
    And considering he was charged I'm sure the authorities believed it to be the former.

The penalty for fighting outside a Glasgow nightclub - especially if there is a sectarian element to it, is not £40.

He was charged with breach of the peace, not assault or affray. You should be more careful.

He was actually arrested for asking why the cops weren't arresting the guys who had assaulted McGeady and refused to stop when ordered to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

He was actually arrested for asking why the cops weren't arresting the guys who had assaulted McGeady and refused to stop when ordered to.

And the hun police asserted him, poor chap.

And the hun police asserted him, poor chap.

worse - the arrested him. ;)

worse - the arrested him. ;)

worse - the what arrested him? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Id say the same thing would happen after derbys all over the world if players decided to drink in certain bars.

The penalty for fighting outside a Glasgow nightclub - especially if there is a sectarian element to it, is not £40.

He was charged with breach of the peace, not assault or affray. You should be more careful.

Yup, that's what I heard too.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »
    Id say the same thing would happen after derbys all over the world if players decided to drink in certain bars.

Happened to a coach though, not a player.

A coach that has received an extraordinary amount of physical and verbal abuse throughout his career for having the temerity to consider himself Irish... but hey it's all down to his "combative" playing style although that never seemed to cause him any problems when he played in England.

bohsman wrote: »

Probably true, but the west end wine bar he was in was not one of those 'certain bars'.

There is a very worrying trend here that its his own fault for showing his Irish face on derby day.

Probably true, but the west end wine bar he was in was not one of those 'certain bars'.

There is a very worrying trend here that its his own fault for showing his Irish face on derby day.

...or the day he was attacked whilst sitting in his car at a red light.

...or the day he was attacked whilst sitting in his car at a red light.

"....its because of the type of player he is timmy..."

maybe ONYD and BobbyS are hearing the same versions of stories because you frequent the same websites? both have friends who are very much anti rangers/pro celtic etc?

just a thought.

maybe ONYD and BobbyS are hearing the same versions of stories because you frequent the same websites? both have friends who are very much anti rangers/pro celtic etc?

just a thought.

All three stories mentioned here were widely mentioned in the media.

• Advertisement

that O'Dea came to the defence of Mc Geady who was being attacked by Rangers fans? then was arrested himself as the fans were let off without anything being done? O'Dea was arrested for questioning with the police why the fans weren't detained?

where was that reported? links please

all i remember being reported was O'Dea being involved in a fracas outside a nightclub.

that O'Dea came to the defence of Mc Geady who was being attacked by Rangers fans? then was arrested himself as the fans were let off without anything being done? O'Dea was arrested for questioning with the police why the fans weren't detained?

all i remember being reported was O'Dea being involved in a fracas outside a nightclub.

I got my side of the story through a relative of O'Dea who was speaking to him.

he wasn't arrested for questioning, he was arrested on a breach of the peace charge. and he was the only arrest of the incident that saw McGeady assaulted.

the fact that he got a £40 fine should really indicate how 'serious' his actions were.

so after O'Dea got arrested for fighting outside a nightclub, he told his family that in actual fact it was nothing to do with him and he was trying to defend his friend who was being attacked?

thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

can i get these links please to how he was saving McGeady from the Rangers fans and how the police arrested him for asking how come the real offenders werent being arrested.

otherwise its just silly speculation from you two.

and the £40 fine i would read as just another example of a footballer getting preferential treatment in the eyes of the law

so after O'Dea got arrested for fighting outside a nightclub, he told his family that in actual fact it was nothing to do with him and he was trying to defend his friend who was being attacked?

where does it say he got arrested for fighting? be very careful what you alledge about named individuals

you do understand what breach of the peace is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

can i get these links please to how he was saving McGeady from the Rangers fans and how the police arrested him for asking how come the real offenders werent being arrested.

otherwise its just silly speculation from you two.

and the £40 fine i would read as just another example of a footballer getting preferential treatment in the eyes of the law
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/08/12/celtic-stars-scott-brown-aiden-mcgeady-and-darren-o-dea-in-2am-nightclub-brawl-86908-20693709/

Crap paper and could well be a load of rubbish but it's still a link. :)

eirebhoy wrote: »

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jMHcPzDfjV-Vzhar9mGq0MUiZnKQ

AFP. Yet again, absolutley no allegation that O'Dea was involved in an assault.

do either of those articles (as tenuous as they are) mention anything about Rangers fans being involved?

players always get in rows in nightclubs, comes from the fact that msot of em think they are the cheese and piss off lads there.

so as i said, Celtic players out, involved in a fight, O'Dea done for breach of the peace.

Yet its Rangers fault.

Lovely.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

do either of those articles (as tenuous as they are) mention anything about Rangers fans being involved?
    Police described one suspect as white, 40 to 50 years of age and of heavy build. He was wearing a light-blue shirt and a black leather jacket.

A light blue shirt? Well I never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

setanta sports and Sky sports are reporting this incident all day, and saying that he was attacked by two individuals following sectarian abuse, quoting glasgow police as the source. It is pretty damning, and while not mentioning rangers fans as being the culprits, it is pretty obvious that Rangers fans and their club are on very shaky ground in media circles in England if anything else happens in the future.

I wonder why there is not a PR blitz from Ibrox since last seasons terrible scenes.

Its lucky for them they dont have a season in europe this year, as their reputation is in the dirt, which is all their fans deserve. The 'minority of fans' rubbish that keeps coming out just is not believable anymore.

I hope it does not affect neil Lennons decision to stay in Glasgow, he seems to be a good influence around the club. Hopefully the cops get the two guys and make an example of them.

Wonder if the Dublin Loyal brigade will jump to their defence from behind emeny lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Blaming the victim is a very, very dodgy road to go down.
    You should be more careful.
    be very careful what you alledge about named individuals

Are you part of some kind of Boards.ie mafia?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Given some of the rabidly paranoid anti Celtic posts here Id hardly be shocked if the assailant was wearing a Shels jersey. ;)

Hafta say didnt get a lick of trouble off the gers when I was in Glasgow. Everyone was bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

please dont involve the daily record in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

If this happened at an English club, it would be "Another examples of English thugs". as its Scotland, its only the Rangers fans that get the abuse.
    Nah, it's just another example of British thugs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement