Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic coach Neil Lennon left needing hospital treatment after attack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ha! The trouble I've got from bouncers in Glasgow cos of my accent!

All the spotty teenage Shels fans on here are gas, do any of them actually remember their "home" game against the huns in Tranmere???

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ha! The trouble I've got from bouncers in Glasgow cos of my accent!

All the spotty teenage Shels fans on here are gas, do any of them actually remember their "home" game against the huns in Tranmere???

Idiots.

......:rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well on other forums it says that Lennon is known a s a bit of a prat around Glasgow. I'm certainly not condoning what happened but the people saying that are quite in the know up there. 'No smoke...' and all that.

EDIT - For example (NOT MY WORDS) -

Official Celtic FC statement:

FOLLOWING reports of an assault on Celtic first-team coach Neil Lennon last night (Sunday, August 31), a spokesperson for Celtic Football Club said: “We can confirm that while walking home alone last night, Neil Lennon was the victim of a serious assault by two men. The assault came after Neil was subjected to sectarian abuse.

"It is understood that during the course of the attack Neil lost consciousness. He was then taken by ambulance to hospital where his injuries were treated and he was later released.

"Strathclyde Police are carrying out an investigation into the assault, and clearly Neil will be fully co-operating with this.”

Anyway, please quote the vindictive quotes from Shels fans in this thread about Neil Lennon, or is it possible that you just can't leave the typical Celtic victim sensitivity complex for the actual Celtic thread? I doubt there are many Shels fans who would be in any way happy about what happened.

DSB wrote: »

Shels fans are disgusted that Irish people won't support them.

In showing their disgust they are siding with the most anti-Irish sporting institution that exists.

Me and about 15 mates were going to go to Celtic U-21 team against Shels a few weeks back, I showed some of them the posts on here and they refused to go as a result.

Celtic are not the reason why attendances are ****e at Tolka Park.

Shels fans are disgusted that Irish people won't support them.

In showing their disgust they are siding with the most anti-Irish sporting institution that exists.

Me and about 15 mates were going to go to Celtic U-21 team against Shels a few weeks back, I showed some of them the posts on here and they refused to go as a result.

Celtic are not the reason why attendances are ****e at Tolka Park.

What the hell does any of this have to do with Neil Lennon being attacked?

Anyway, please quote the vindictive quotes from Shels fans in this thread about Neil Lennon, or is it possible that you just can't leave the typical Celtic victim sensitivity complex for the actual Celtic thread? I doubt there are many Shels fans who would be in any way happy about what happened.

I'm sorry if you're one of the decent Shels fans getting caught here pal, I actually have a few friends that go to all Shels games who are sound.

None of the Shels fans that are abusing me or sharing my personal details have posted on this thread so far.

I'm sorry if you're one of the decent Shels fans getting caught here pal, I actually have a few friends that go to all Shels games who are sound.

None of the Shels fans that are abusing me or sharing my personal details have posted on this thread so far.

Well, I do dislike Celtic, thats pretty much been revealed in the other thread. But I don't condone anyone getting beaten up while walking home, whether he coaches Celtic, Rangers or no1 at all. This really isn't the thread for anti-Shels fan discussion anyway.

And if someone is abusing you or sharing your details, I'd report it. I didn't see those posts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Is it me or has this thread gone surreal in a short space of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Back on topic somewhat, I'm sure we can all remeber the exact reason for Lennon retiring from international football.
    The guy has had to put up with this his whole life, and I find he idea of him being blamed a bit disconcerting to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Well, I do dislike Celtic, thats pretty much been revealed in the other thread. But I don't condone anyone getting beaten up while walking home, whether he coaches Celtic, Rangers or no1 at all. This really isn't the thread for anti-Shels fan discussion anyway.

And if someone is abusing you or sharing your details, I'd report it. I didn't see those posts though.

Well thats big of you. :rolleyes: Would you perhaps go as far as to condemn it?

Lennon was a fiery player for Celtic, and is a republican. This is why he is regularly targetted by sectarian goons who are so-called supporters of Rangers FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Lennon was a fiery player for Celtic, and is a republican. This is why he is regularly targetted by sectarian goons who are so-called supporters of Rangers FC.

Exactly, has Barry Ferguson ever been subjected to similar assaults? No

Eh yeah i think I had like the second post in the thread doing so:confused:
    Jesus christ, Celtic fans on here are a sensitive bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This thread and others relating to these Glasgow clubs is why i hate Celtic and Rangers and the two faced, hypocritical, paranoid sh!te that goes with them. Football is hardly mentioned when it comes to these two clubs. Basic, moronic, neanderthal stuff!

monkey9 wrote: »
    This thread and others relating to these Glasgow clubs is why i hate Celtic and Rangers and the two faced, hypocritical, paranoid sh!te that goes with them. Football is hardly mentioned when it comes to these two clubs. Basic, moronic, neanderthal stuff!

Very much agreed. Definitely my least favourite derby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

So a Celtic coach gets attacked walking home and you hate Celtic more because of it.

Thanks for sharing that with us. :confused:
    Very much agreed. Definitely my least favourite derby.

So why bother wasting everyones time posting on Celtic threads then?

I generally don't. I posted first after a Celtic match against my club Shelbourne, then again the other night when I saw the silly criticism of Shels fans. I think you'll find I generally have better things to do than wind up Celtic fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why are rangers fans called "Neds" or the "Hun"?

Why are rangers fans called "Neds" or the "Hun"?

Neds is a generic term for burberry wearing scrotes.

Huns was originally coined by journo Brian Glanville when Rangers thrashed Seville and desecrated its Cathederal - he wrote that they behaved like 'marauding huns' and it stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

So a Celtic coach gets attacked walking home and you hate Celtic more because of it.

Thanks for sharing that with us. :confused:

Oh my good god.. have you ever in your life come to a correct conclusion? I am completely unbiased so flame me and I'll tell you where to go. I think it's a disgrace that Neil Lennon was attacked, it's clear that so does everyone else.

You keep warning everyone about what they're saying, you have taken almost every post up wrong. Stop picking and choosing bits of what people say and using it against them, he dislikes the whole scene, Celtic AND Rangers - because it's not about football, it's all f**king drama and it's exactly why I wouldn't even watch Celtic or Rangers in my back garden.

I hope a moderator locks this thread because there is nothing being achieved here. Hope Neil Lennon is alright also.

/rant

• Advertisement

I generally don't. I posted first after a Celtic match against my club Shelbourne, then again the other night when I saw the silly criticism of Shels fans. I think you'll find I generally have better things to do than wind up Celtic fans.

Its not silly criticism. If you chose to involve yourselves in the Celtic Rangers bitterness by singing racist anti-Irish songs, you open yourselves up to legitimate comment from Celtic fans.

You got your reaction. Deal with it.

Craziness.

If all Celtic fans supported tham for purely football reasons they would get more sympathy. As for Rangers fans, if it was Liverpool they would have been thrown out of europe by now, but everyone loves the good for a laugh, jovial Tartan Army don't they.:rolleyes:

Maybe they should start up a league, of only two teams and play all matches in the outer hebredes.

Craziness.

If all Celtic fans supported tham for purely football reasons they would get more sympathy. As for Rangers fans, if it was Liverpool they would have been thrown out of europe by now, but everyone loves the good for a laugh, jovial Tartan Army don't they.:rolleyes:

Maybe they should start up a league, of only two teams and play all matches in the outer hebredes.

And you, of course, chose Pompey for 'purely football reasons'?

And you, of course, chose Pompey for 'purely football reasons'?

No, I chose them because, despite never having been to Portsmouth, I object to Martian rule in saturn, you see, I'm a Jedi republican and portsmouth were set up by jedi republican workers. The fact they play football is irrelevant as i much prefer Aussue rules football, but wearing their shirt makes a statement about who I am and what i believe.

or maybe it is because i was born there.

any other daft statements?

No, I chose them because, despite never having been to Portsmouth, I object to Martian rule in saturn, you see, I'm a Jedi republican and portsmouth were set up by jedi republican workers. The fact they play football is irrelevant as i much prefer Aussue rules football, but wearing their shirt makes a statement about who I am and what i believe.

or maybe it is because i was born there.

any other daft statements?

So, in other words, not for footballing reasons....

So, in other words, not for footballing reasons....

Are you havin a laugh? you know exactly what i mean.

srfron250207.jpg

Are you havin a laugh? you know exactly what i mean.

Yes I do. But if you are going to badmouth Celtic fans for not picking their side "purely for football reasons" and then admit in your next mail that you didn't pick your football team "purely for football reasons" (albeit the right ones), you are going to look as silly as you do now....

The rules seem to bend when it comes to Celtic on here...

Its not silly criticism. If you chose to involve yourselves in the Celtic Rangers bitterness by singing racist anti-Irish songs, you open yourselves up to legitimate comment from Celtic fans.

You got your reaction. Deal with it.

I didn't sing any racist anti-Irish songs, can you make any posts that do not generalise groups of fans together?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Your problem is that you are judging the Celtic/Rangers rivalry based purely on this forum. Football is often 2nd place to discussions about sectarianism etc. on here I'll agree, but that's not the case in general.

This site is full of people who are happy to knock Celtic at every opportunity, that's the problem. I don't mind real Rangers fans and other SPL fans having a go after a derby, in fact I enjoy it. But the EL arseholes that pile in and talk ****e about having a soft spot for Rangers and hating Celtic is just as pathetic as the Celtic tracksuit clad knacker they ridicule.

Look through any of these threads and you'll generally find some arsehole who couldn't care less about Scottish football thrown in some daft comment about how he hates Celtic etc. that starts the whole downward spiral of non-footie related posts.

Yes I do. But if you are going to badmouth Celtic fans for not picking their side "purely for football reasons" and then admit in your next mail that you didn't pick your football team "purely for football reasons" (albeit the right ones), you are going to look as silly as you do now....

so there are no Celtic fans who wear their shirts for political reasons.

I stand corrected then.:rolleyes:

I don't dislike Cetic, far from it, but wilst I am as horrified by what has happened to Lennon as the next person, I do find the "Holier than thou" attitude of celtic fans a bit rich tbh.

Racist abuse within a football ground is a criminal offence in England, not sure about scotland. Maybe they should introduce it and clamp down harder on this sort of thing and get it out of the game entirely.

Football should be about football, nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

That post makes me feel like I'm drunk. :confused::confused:

I didn't sing any racist anti-Irish songs, can you make any posts that do not generalise groups of fans together?

What? You, by your own admission, jumped in to defend Shels as a group, now want Shels not treated as a group? Which is it? If you had nothing to do with it, why defend it?

What? You, by your own admission, jumped in to defend Shels as a group, now want Shels not treated as a group? Which is it? If you had nothing to do with it, why defend it?

Clearly because I don't agree with Shels fans being treated as a group. Or any group of fans at that. Most collective groups of fans share completely different views on almost everything. Celtic fans on boards seem to be the exception but sure never mind. But I'll defend the name of the club no problem. I don't understand what you think makes Celtic exempt from people disliking the club, just because. I don't need 100 years of political reason, to decide that I just don't like Celtic. They're my least favourite side in Scotland, I don't need complex reasons to justify that. I have no affection to Rangers, if they're playing Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen I'll probably hope they get beat. They're probably my 2nd least favourite Scottish side. People dislike Man United just because, people dislike Liverpool just because. I've always disliked Tottenham, I don't need complex reasons to do so. I just do.

But the fact that Celtic fans get ridiculously defensive when confronted with the fact that a number of Irish people don't like them, just strengthens the argument that there is an expectation that if you're Irish, you support Celtic. Which is probably at the heart of most people disliking them in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Neil Lennon!!!!!!!!

Just thought I'd remind people what this threads about!

Clearly because I don't agree with Shels fans being treated as a group. Or any group of fans at that. Most collective groups of fans share completely different views on almost everything. Celtic fans on boards seem to be the exception but sure never mind. But I'll defend the name of the club no problem.

You object to Shels fans being treated as a group yet defend them as a group. Right. :confused:

Do you condemn Shels fans for singing the famine song?
    I don't understand what you think makes Celtic exempt from people disliking the club, just because. I don't need 100 years of political reason, to decide that I just don't like Celtic. They're my least favourite side in Scotland, I don't need complex reasons to justify that. I have no affection to Rangers, if they're playing Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen I'll probably hope they get beat. They're probably my 2nd least favourite Scottish side. People dislike Man United just because, people dislike Liverpool just because. I've always disliked Tottenham, I don't need complex reasons to do so. I just do.

But do you claim to be an Arsenal fan and learn their (now not sung) anti-semetic songs to wind Tottenham fans up?

Disliking a team is one thing. Actively supporting their main rivals becasue of this is quite another.
    But the fact that Celtic fans get ridiculously defensive when confronted with the fact that a number of Irish people don't like them, just strengthens the argument that there is an expectation that if you're Irish, you support Celtic. Which is probably at the heart of most people disliking them in the first place.

You are putting words in peoples mouths here and fundamentally missing the point. I certainly don't care if you like Celtic or not. The question is why Irish people would chose to support Rangers, or in Shels case, sing racist songs about themselves? Is it just for a reaction or is there something deeper going on? All BS81 was trying to establish is what is the group dynamic at Shels that sees this anti-Irish bile from teenage Irishmen.

It's an entirely different debate to the one you are trying to present.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    That post makes me feel like I'm drunk. :confused::confused:

have you anything to contribute to this thread?

Disliking a team is one thing. Actively supporting their main rivals becasue of this is quite another.

forgive me, but as an Englishman reading that written by an Irishman I find it somewhat ironic. :D

forgive me, but as an Englishman reading that written by an Irishman I find it somewhat ironic. :D

Point well made :D

But there is a difference between cheering for whoever perfidious albion is playing and learning their national anthem, so to speak.

He makes a valid point though. Shels players and fans were treated disgracefully by Rangers in Ibrox and Liverpool, yet a group of you still decide to 'cheer' for them and learn their racist songbook.

Its completly baffling, and points to what fans of other clubs have been saying for years - you have a young and foolish support base.

No doubt one of the immature Shels fans objected to that post, explaining BS81's ban?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I don't think a like or dislike of Celtic is the issue. I certainly don't care who likes Celtic and who doesn't, regardless if they are Irish or not. I certainly don't mind Irish people who choose to support Rangers. That's not to say I can understand the attraction of Rangers to an Irish person, but I don't care either way who supports who.

What Celtic fans get defensive about is people jumping on the Rangers bandwagon in some sort of attempt to annoy Celtic fans. It would be like me getting behind Linfield just to give the "up yours" to Pats fans. Why would I do that? It's pathetic.

There is no expectation of any Celtic fan on here that you should support Celtic over Rangers if you are Irish. If you believe that it's your own opinion - don't be pushing it onto Celtic fans as their problem.

Anyway, back on topic, hope Neil is ok. I have a bad feeling he may take this opportunity to step down though. :(

PauloMN wrote: »
    I don't think a like or dislike of Celtic is the issue. I certainly don't care who likes Celtic and who doesn't, regardless if they are Irish or not. I certainly don't mind Irish people who choose to support Rangers. That's not to say I can understand the attraction of Rangers to an Irish person, but I don't care either way who supports who.

What Celtic fans get defensive about is people jumping on the Rangers bandwagon in some sort of attempt to annoy Celtic fans. It would be like me getting behind Linfield just to give the "up yours" to Pats fans. Why would I do that? It's pathetic.

There is no expectation of any Celtic fan on here that you should support Celtic over Rangers if you are Irish. If you believe that it's your own opinion - don't be pushing it onto Celtic fans as their problem.

Anyway, back on topic, hope Neil is ok. I have a bad feeling he may take this opportunity to step down though. :(

What Rangers bandwagon has been jumped on? Most of said people will be against Rangers if they are playing any other club. People just dislike Celtic the most for various reasons, same as with any club, and obviously hope other teams beat them as a result. Personally, I don't care if its Rangers, Hibs, Heart or even a revived Gretna beating Celtic, it just so happens Rangers tend to do it most frequently.

What Rangers bandwagon has been jumped on? Most of said people will be against Rangers if they are playing any other club. People just dislike Celtic the most for various reasons, same as with any club, and obviously hope other teams beat them as a result. Personally, I don't care if its Rangers, Hibs, Heart or even a revived Gretna beating Celtic, it just so happens Rangers tend to do it most frequently.

Have you read ANYTHING posted on this thread by others?

Its simply rude at this point.

Have you read ANYTHING posted on this thread by others?

Its simply rude at this point.

Find me more than one person in this thread who has actually said they support Rangers, as opposed to just preferring them to Celtic.

Find me more than one person in this thread who has actually said they support Rangers, as opposed to just preferring them to Celtic.

We are discussing Shels fans singing the famine song and the reasons why.

If you had the common decency to read the thread as opposed to trying to put words in peoples mouths you would know that

We are discussing Shels fans singing the famine song and the reasons why.

If you had the common decency to read the thread as opposed to trying to put words in peoples mouths you would know that

Theres been alot more discussion than that. Sorry for not being so black and white about it. However if you're asking about that in particular, I'd stress that you'd be referring to a fairly small section of the Shels support. I neither condone nor condemn because I really don't care about that particular issue, but regardless, I didn't even hear the song myself so I doubt it was sang by many for long. On the other hand, the Celtic fans were singing about Sinn Fein and the IRA. I'd consider the latter to be equally offensive to be honest.

However, most of the people at the game in Tolka were Irish Celtic fans, or just neutrals interested in the game, I'd imagine most of the fans from Glasgow weren't interested in going to see the reserves, so regardless of whether the people singing were trying to provoke a response, they hardly hit many soft spots in there.

• Advertisement

What Rangers bandwagon has been jumped on? Most of said people will be against Rangers if they are playing any other club.

So they're only for them when they're playing Celtic? Isn't that jumping on the bandwagon?

But worse than that, it's people hating Celtic for no real reason that I can see. Banter with proper Rangers fans (that we sometimes get on the Celtic thread when we're not discussing sectarianism :D ) is great because they're genuine supporters, not just people who have attached themselves to Rangers for the day because of some irrational hatred for Celtic.

But all you hear on this board is people going on about hating Celtic because some imaginary figure has told them they should support Celtic because they're Irish. What a load of bollox. I've honestly never in all my life heard someone say "you should be supporting Celtic you know, 'cause you're Irish." If anyone around here preaches who should support who, it's EL fans with their "support your local team" line.

PauloMN wrote: »
    So they're only for them when they're playing Celtic? Isn't that jumping on the bandwagon?

But worse than that, it's people hating Celtic for no real reason that I can see. Banter with proper Rangers fans (that we sometimes get on the Celtic thread when we're not discussing sectarianism :D ) is great because they're genuine supporters, not just people who have attached themselves to Rangers for the day because of some irrational hatred for Celtic.

But all you hear on this board is people going on about hating Celtic because some imaginary figure has told them they should support Celtic because they're Irish. What a load of bollox. I've honestly never in all my life heard someone say "you should be supporting Celtic you know, 'cause you're Irish." If anyone around here preaches who should support who, it's EL fans with their "support your local team" line.
    I can honestly say I've had it said plenty. It isn't imaginary. But Celtic certainly aren't the only team who suffer from an ABC attitude. Man United have it too. Liverpool have it plenty, for me I'd have an anyone but Bohs attitude. Celtic fans tend to get particularly touchy about it however.

I can honestly say I've had it said plenty. It isn't imaginary. But Celtic certainly aren't the only team who suffer from an ABC attitude. Man United have it too. Liverpool have it plenty, for me I'd have an anyone but Bohs attitude. Celtic fans tend to get particularly touchy about it however.

Singing the famine song at them tends to elicit that response...

Try singing anti-semetic songs at Spurs fans and come on here and call them 'touchy' when they react and see the reaction you get.

The tolerence of the level of abuse Celtic fans are expected to take on here but no other fans are is the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

There are a multitude of stories running about Glasgow on this one.
    I have two feelings on the matter.

1. What was Lennon thinking going out to the pub the evening of a Celtic game? He's been in Glasgow long enough to know the chances he was taking.

2. Taking into account what was said above, it is still completely unacceptable. Another sign of the sad state that Glasgow finds itself in.

Interesting however given a 2 or 3 posters crusade over the past 10 days or so to educate the world about how evil and nasty the Rangers fans are in stark contrast to Celtic's poor downtrodden support that no one saw fit to report this to the board.

www.dailyrecord.co.uk
    Exclusive: Rangers star Nacho Novo under guard after threats from internet bigots
    Sep 3 2008 By Keith Jackson

RANGERS star Nacho Novo was last night under guard at his home after bigots posted his address on the web.

Police were called in by the club after someone revealed the name of his street on a website. A distraught Novo said yesterday: "This is my home, my family stay here and no one will mess with my family."

The web posting came after suggestions in internet chatrooms that Rangers players should be regarded as targets for attack.

The views came amid a backlash to the assault on Celtic coach Neil Lennon, which sparked a large debate on whether Old Firm stars should feel free to socialise in Glasgow after Old Firm games. After Rangers striker Novo's street name was published, furious Rangers security supremo Ken Scott phoned Chief Superintendent Robin Howe, of Strathclyde Police, demanding an investigation.

He also ordered security guards to patrol outside Novo's Glasgow home.

An Ibrox insider said: "Posting someone's address takes the matter into a new dimension."

A police spokeswoman said last night: "We have received a complaint in relation to posts made on the internet. Our inquiries are continuing."

Singing the famine song at them tends to elicit that response...

Try singing anti-semetic songs at Spurs fans and come on here and call them 'touchy' when they react and see the reaction you get.

The tolerence of the level of abuse Celtic fans are expected to take on here but no other fans are is the point.

I'd imagine the Jewish fans would be fairly offended alright, and the others less so more from a neutral 'thats disgraceful' point of view, in the sense that they'd feel if it was chanted at anyone. This is essentially the point I'm making really. Singing that song definitely isn't PC or anything but I'm going to warrant a guess that there weren't too many of Irish descent living in Scotland at this particular game. I'd imagine the song was sang tongue in cheek, considering half the people at the game hadn't been in Glasgow in their lives.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if this was a game where the local supporters from Glasgow who go to see Celtic every week were in attendance, the same reaction wouldn't have been given.

• Advertisement
Advertisement