Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Expenses PRSI Reclaimable?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend is due to give birth at the end of the month and we've opted to go for semi-private care. She's currently on social welfare so I'll be paying the hospital expenses. Does anyone know if I'll be able to claim some of this back under the medical expenses scheme?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Tbh I am not sure you will have to ring and ask them.
    As far as I am aware if you are not married you can't claim back prsi or tax for another adult.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

med1 is the name of the form you would need.
    As it is in your interest I am pretty sure you can claim it back but check on the revenue.ie website.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

All hospital expenses can be claimed, but since your not married your girlfriend is the one who should be doing the claiming, as you technically haven't incurred the expense for your own medical needs. Just make sure the receipts etc. are in her name.

This can all be done online as well, so you don't need to fill out any paperwork.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

She is on Social welfare therefore not paying Prsi so she can't claim back what she is not paying.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Ah yes, my bad, I forgot about the whole PRSI thing :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

But .... would the fact that he is paying medical expenses for his child not mean he can claim on the Med1 form? Or will the fact that they are not married effect that.

The medical expense for a birth and the bill are in the mother's name, he can not claim a rebate on her medical bills as they are not married.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

But .... would the fact that he is paying medical expenses for his child not mean he can claim on the Med1 form? Or will the fact that they are not married effect that.

Welcome to the depressing world of unmarried parenthood in Ireland. If you're a single income family you're screwed basically until you tie the know, tax wise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Thanks for all the advice guys.

A little depressing maybe nesf but I'm sure bumpette will be worth it when she arrives!

nesf wrote: »
    Welcome to the depressing world of unmarried parenthood in Ireland. If you're a single income family you're screwed basically until you tie the know, tax wise anyway.

and for claiming of prsi.

If one spouse is a stay at home parent and the couple is married the stay at home can claim against the working spouses prsi for dental ect if they are not married they can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

I'd check this with revenue as I'm fairly sure that I got advice some time ago, that if someone paid their elderly father's medical expenses they were able to claim it back on Med 1.

If the receipts are in the payer's name, then they should be able to claim them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will need to check, but AFAIK it is the person who pays the bill is the one who can claim.

Advertisement