Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helen Mirren admits she used to take cocaine.

• 01-09-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Jaysus. Just saw this on the BBC.

Article is below. For for anyone too lazy to read it, she used to 'love' taking coke at parties up until the early 80s, when she stopped because she realised where the money was going to (i.e. not very nice drug barons). Didn't like marijuana though.

I think she's great for being so open about things (she talks about being date-raped in the same article). Pity celebs always wait ten or twenty years before talking about the drugs and alcohol that they took though!
    Oscar-winning actress Dame Helen Mirren has admitted that she used to "love" taking cocaine.

The actress, 63, told GQ Magazine she used the Class A drug "just a little bit at parties" until the early 1980s.

She said she gave up the drug after learning that Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie had been making money from the drug in South America.

That had revealed to her the "full horrifying structure of what brings coke to our parties", she added.

She said: "I loved coke. I never did a lot, just a little bit at parties."

She said that, after reading a newspaper article about Klaus Barbie, "all the cards fell into place and I saw how my little sniff of cocaine at a party had an absolute direct route" to him.

"And from that day I never touched cocaine again," she added.

Dame Helen also told GQ she had used marijuana in the past.

"I hated it," she said.

"Dope always made me feel miserable and paranoid and unhappy.

"And I woke up one day and thought, 'no more of that, thank you'."

Dame Helen has previously spoken about a bad experience she had after taking LSD in her early 20s.

In her interview with former national newspaper editor Piers Morgan in the October edition of GQ, Dame Helen also spoke about being date-raped as a student - something she first revealed in a 2003 interview.

She told GQ: "I was [date-raped], yes. A couple of times.

"Not with excessive violence, or being hit, but rather being locked in a room and made to have sex against my will."

Dame Helen said it was rape if a couple engaged in sexual activity but the woman said "no" at the last second.

However, she said: "I don't think she can have that man into court under those circumstances."

She said she had not reported her own experiences to police because "you couldn't do that in those days".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Talking openly about using drink and drugs isn't something that will get actors more work. It would be a nightmare having someone drunk/coked off their face on set although I'm sure it happens quite a bit! I'd say she wanted to appear cool, less hard then she sometimes can be to the readers of the magazine. She looks great though for her age, in that bikini!!!

(I've heard of bad things she did to an up and coming actor which has left me with a bad impression of her. I think she's a witch in disguise!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

She said she gave up the drug after learning that Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie had been making money from the drug in South America
    Jezus, him and about every gangster on the planet , never mind the fact that it's illigal .Suppose that never crossed her coked out mind whan she was snorting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

she said she did something, and she not ashamed of it, so ive got alot of respect for helen mirren for doing that today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 phoebeclark

She's brave to admit it now. And she has nothing to loose, really, in terms of her career. Maybe she needed to let this out in the open now in order to have some sort of peace with herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Larianne wrote: »
    (I've heard of bad things she did to an up and coming actor which has left me with a bad impression of her. I think she's a witch in disguise!)

Do tell(?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

G.I.L.F tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was thinking about posting this story after I read it in work earlier on (bizarrely I do a news keyword search for the CEO every morning and this article appeared during that search - I work in an insurance company so god knows why this appeared!). Boo-urns stargal!

I'm quite impressed with her being so open about it. It's an interesting reason not to do drugs any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Source The Mirror
    Dame Helen Mirren doesn't believe boxer Mike Tyson, jailed for raping beauty pageant contestant Desiree Washington in a hotel room, was guilty.
    Moreover, she says, women who claim they're raped after willingly going to bed with a man can't expect their attackers to be charged.
    Hallelujah! At last someone with the balls to take on the army of hardline feminists determined to make men culpable every time a woman embarks on an ill-advised sexual encounter.
    Could the actress, who told GQ magazine she was date-raped twice when she was young, have guessed what a storm of controversy she's created?
    I suspect it was as well thought out as her stunning red carpet designer outfits.

We should know now that Miss Mirren doesn't do anodyne or simpering and, even at the risk of gambling her "national treasure" status, is prepared to put her money where her mouth is.
    Her view - that if a woman voluntarily ends up in a man's bedroom, takes her clothes off and he forces himself on her she doesn't have the right, in those circumstances, to take that man to court - has already been condemned as 'dangerous'.
    Why? Because according to Solicitor General Vera Baird: "It casts doubt at the edges of what she thinks might not be rape."
    Thanks for the reminder, but I doubt there's a woman in Britain who doesn't understand what rape means.
    Though in recent years we've become confused by the endless court cases where rape charges are totally demeaned by scorned, ruthless women seeking revenge against men.

It's these women crying wolf, Miss Baird, who "cast doubt at the edges of what might not be rape". Time and again common sense is thrown out of the window to make way for the politically correct view that the word of an alleged female rape victim cannot be doubted - even in drink.
    In future, new legislation will force men to prove that sex was consensual even if the woman was three sheets to the wind, naked and swinging from the chandeliers.
    This surely paves the way for more injustice, not less.
    Nor does it exactly encourage women to be responsible for their own actions, or indeed, stupidity.
    Thousands of women have woken up with an ugly stranger who, through a cocktail-induced haze, resembled Superman.
    The sensible ones write it off as a terrible mistake and move on.
    While others, encouraged by Desiree Washington and reluctant to blame themselves, seek so-called justice aided and abetted by baying feminists.
    As DCI Jane Tennison, her character in the hard-hitting TV series Prime Suspect, Helen was asked, more than once, to portray the emotions of a cop dealing with victims of brutal rape.
    I think she probably understands there's a vast emotional chasm between a woman who's been degraded, violated and raped at knifepoint and someone prevaricating over whether to say "no" in a man's bed.
    Isn't it time our justice system recognised that too?

she is creating alot of controversy with her past stories and theories

Advertisement