Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My line not good enough?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I am currently on the top Eircom plan. Was on to BT this morning about their 24mb which they have recently launched on my exhcnage in Greystones.

They said that my specific line was not able to handle anything over 8mb?

I am in a new house that was built only 3 years ago in Charlesland. They said I'd have to talk to Eircom about it as it was my line causing the problem. Do you think this is the whole estate or just my line? What a pain in the a$$!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Robertr wrote: »
    I am currently on the top Eircom plan. Was on to BT this morning about their 24mb which they have recently launched on my exhcnage in Greystones.

They said that my specific line was not able to handle anything over 8mb?

I am in a new house that was built only 3 years ago in Charlesland. They said I'd have to talk to Eircom about it as it was my line causing the problem. Do you think this is the whole estate or just my line? What a pain in the a$$!!

Attenuation can be caused by distance from the exchange. Get the line stats from your router and see if you can find out the distance from your exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Welcome to Ireland the land of privately owned state infrastructure with an owner (€ircon) that has asset stripped since its inception.

Prob just a crap section of copper somewhere along the line from you, be thankful you can actually get BB many can't due to the asset stripping and lack of investment down the years by €ircon

MC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How new your house has nothing to do with it, line quality is down to physical distance from your local exchange and the physical quality of this cable. Also could be down to poorly wired internal wiring. (again doesn't matter if its new...it could have be wired incorrectly)

Also its worth remember the cable does not go as the crow flys from your local exchange so while your excahnge might be 2km from your house in a straight line the cable may have to go 5km or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Welcome to Ireland the land of privately owned state infrastructure with an owner (€ircon) that has asset stripped since its inception.

Prob just a crap section of copper somewhere along the line from you, be thankful you can actually get BB many can't due to the asset stripping and lack of investment down the years by €ircon

:rolleyes: I'm sure the OP was thrilled with that helpful piece of nonsense.

As above, try to get the line stats. I've also heard telling Eircom that there's an intermittent noise on the line can get them to clean up the line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Irrespective of Eircom criticisms isnt it only fair to point out that due to the limitations of the dsl system that a relatively small number of lines will get the full 24Mb?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ive got a couple of mates in england and all of them are on 8meg packages, none of them can receive the full 8meg, most are 4 to 6meg. A few in London who are on 24meg packages are getting around 12 to 15meg. I reckon theres fek all difference between eircoms line quality and bt's line quality in the uk, distance is a factor that cant be helped due to dsl being a distance sensitive system, so ye cant really blame eircom or any other company for being too far away from the exchange to get full speeds. Only way to get 24meg is to literally live beside the exchange.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I'm sure the OP was thrilled with that helpful piece of nonsense.

As above, try to get the line stats. I've also heard telling Eircom that there's an intermittent noise on the line can get them to clean up the line.

Really pointless post there paulm, they will just tell you that your voice service is fine and that is the end of their USO to you, the fact they invested little to nothing in our nations infrastructure is why so many people can't get BB. At least BT in the UK will go sort the probs to get you BB, not just tell you to PFO.

MC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

At least BT in the UK will go sort the probs to get you BB, not just tell you to PFO.

MC

Yes they will, however if the BT wholesale checker says you can only get 3MB on a upto 8MB enabled exchange BT are any other ISP are not going to waste time and money trying to giver you faster then what the line is rated for.

BTW will only generally do extra work on the likes of DACS boxes and long lines for 512K (no sync/disconnection issues), but once you get 512K then there not to pushed after this :)

anyway back on topic, the op needs to post line stats before anyone can really advise here.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Where will I get the stats, here is the information from my router:?

Speed: 6144/512 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation: 43/26 dB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They told you the truth, your lines too long and will just about hit 8 megs even under the more resilient ADSL2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hmm im only gettin 5120/512 and my line attenuation is 37/18db, could eircom be holding me back a bit, think i'll give them a ring 2moro and see can i get the 6meg, i know this is about smart telecom but i feel Eircom have capped my connection instead of letting it go as high as it can for 7.6meg

Who mentioned Smart?

sry my mistake, I read wrong and thought it was about eircom to smart but the op wants to move from eircom to BT 24meg, but going on the op stats im sure now my line shud be capable of a bit more than 5120/512k at 37/18

big difference between what my router reports and what I actually get:
    316911643.png

SN Margin (dB) 14.00 8.00

Forgot these. Does that not imply an issue with the line quality?

Advertisement