Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my phone work in the States?

• 01-09-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

OK simple question...

I am off to the States next week, haven't been there before. I have a Nokia 6300 - the Ford Focus of phones in terms of popularity AFAIK. The spec says it's GSM.
    http://www.nokia.ie/A4288040

Don't know anything about tri-band or any of that malarky and don't care.

All I want to know is...will it work in the US?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It will work in the states once your account is setup for roaming. This is usually standard but because it's a company phone ring up and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 strjms72

I don't think that GSM works in the US. Even with roaming and everytghing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

again, you have a nokia 6300. This will work in the states provided your account has it enabled and your operator has an agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

strjms72 wrote: »

There are one or two "simless" operators in the US that you won't be able to connect to but Cingular, T-Mobile etc are GSM / EDGE based so you should be fine. I have O2 and Vodafone phones and both were fine - and my nokia is a 6310i - nearly retro at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

strjms72 wrote: »

rookie mistake!

it will work. the u.s. use the 850/1800/1900 gsm bands, europe uses 900/1800/1900 so the 6300 will work in 2/3 of the areas over there (mostly urban)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 strjms72

sorry then, i didn't think it would work, but i looked and yeah you're right

Advertisement