Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering cancelling our private health insurance - advice?

• 01-09-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    Our health insurance is up for renewal this month and I am seriously considering cancelling it because I really do not see the benefit of it. We pay out over €80 a month on it and times are a bit tight. Have had it for a few years now and have only ever made small claims on it as we don't go over the excess. We have a policy that covers day to day expenses but these don't go over the cost of the policy. We are expecting a baby but going public for that because it is so expensive to go private.

Am I mad to think of cancelling it? Can anyone advise, I've mentioned it to a few people in passing and they say 'You're better to have it - just in case'. However, am I wrong to presume that if you do get seriously ill then you will still get looked after?

Any opinions from people? Don't currently have a medical card but going to see if we are entitled to one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

If you are in the territory of qualifying for a medical card then PHI is probably outside your reach in the first place, IMO.

It is INSURANCE though. Of course its entirely optional, but you do hear some awful stories of people waiting 6-9 months for consultant appointments when they go public, but get an appointment within a few weeks when going private. There are situations when speedy treatment may not be a life saving intervention, but it can make life a lot less painful/stressful/worrying.

A guy I know needed an operation for a brain tumour - his operation kept getting put back.

If you can afford it, keep it, would be my advice. If you have to cancel, just be aware of any waiting periods the insurance companies may apply if you decide to rejoin in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Why don't you shop around? Also, why not get rid of the day to day cover and just hold on to the core hospital cover? That alone would save you a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I tend to agree with Slice, go for basic cover, Plan A or B without options or Hibernian Health or Quinn equivalent. This will provide you with piece of mind yet access to consultants if needed.

Advertisement