Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled accommodation and a realisation

Options
  • 01-09-2008 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭

I recently stayed at a big-name hotel in the UK for the weekend. They (and every other form of accomodation) were fully booked weeks in advance, but had one disabled room available a few miles away.

Anyway, feeling somewhat guilty (is it the equivalent of taking up someone's parking space? I wondered) but mostly relieved that I finally had somewhere to stay (divorce implied :p) I settled for it.

I have to say I was expecting loads of extra room but the only difference to a regular room was the alarm beside the bed, and the bathroom - this one had a sliding door, lots of handles all over the place and low bath.

Being the incredibly curious type and wanting to know how it works, what it's like etc etc, I figured I'd give the toilet-side bars a go. I lifted up and folded down the long handle beside me and went to lift myself up. Straight away I realised that I wouldn't be able to lift myself in such a situation but worse, I could feel that something wasn't right so I just let go and sat back down.

I looked at the long handle and it had come away from the wall!! :eek: It looked like it was only screwed in (through tiles) with 4 thin 1.5-2inch long screws - not the bigger weight-supporting ones. The top two screws came out by about an inch. Luckily I was able to just sit back on the toilet and go "oops" but jaysus I couldn't help thinking that if I didn't have a fully functional or fully limbed body I'd have gone splat!

So I had a predicament, first of all I should have kept to myself and not tried the bars because I had no need to do so. If I'd reported it on checking out I might have had to pay for the damage. Then again, the damage shouldn't have happened because these things aren't there for decoration. Having looked closely at the small bar attached to the wall on the other side, I noticed that there was a set of holes as if there had previously been a larger bar, perhaps that was removed intentionally for a smaller one, or maybe it came out when it was used.

I've since provided feedback via their satisfaction form but I'd like some advice on how to word a letter to the management and Head Office to make sure that this will be investigated and rectified where the same problem exists. What's your opinion?

It is what it's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It's definitely worth following up in writing or by email and asking for a response. There was a case a few years back where Ronan Tynan, one of the Irish Tenors who is an amputee, was injured in a shower in an American hotel when the shower seat came off the wall.

See http://www.irishabroad.com/news/irishinamerica/news/tynan-settles-suit-dec1405.asp

Maybe if the previous guest had just sent that email....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Sometimes it depends on the type of wall..if its not a solid wall they have to find the beams in the wall otherwise if anyone puts any weight on the grab rail / it will come off the wall. Its really important that people use a good company for putting in grab rails as it can be highly dangerous if they´re not properly secured.

Sometimes the condition of the wall can have a bearing on whether rails etc can be put up, but in any case its the company that installs the rails responsibility not to put up a rail if its unsafe.
    Somebody could very well sue the hotel in your case ...

Advertisement