Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

automatics

Options
  • 01-09-2008 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

So having put my trusty hyundai thru NCT and taxed if fora year i went and had some knee surgery. have just visited my consultant and he tells me i should get an automatic as my left knee is shot. CAN anyone help, i need to trade in and would like a diesel. any suggestions
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

john1963 wrote: »
    So having put my trusty hyundai thru NCT and taxed if fora year i went and had some knee surgery. have just visited my consultant and he tells me i should get an automatic as my left knee is shot. CAN anyone help, i need to trade in and would like a diesel. any suggestions
    thanks

Not 100% what you are looking for john, Trade your car in with a garage? Em sell it privately and go and buy an auto. Or are you looking for advice on auto's??

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

No idea of budget so I'm going to suggest a nice VW Phaeton V10 TDI
    Or perhaps a nice Audi A8 4.2TDI V8

Both are diesel and automatic which fulfils your criteria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

approx 25000. i have 2 boys so estate or hatchback would be good, and of course must be a diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's a nice budget. How about an '04 Mercedes-Benz E-class diesel estate (new model)? About the biggest estate you can get. Excellent all-round car.

Or if you want a brand new car, a Ford Mondeo diesel automatic estate. This will be just outside of your budget, even if you get a healthy discount. Maybe a nearly new one from a dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

unkel wrote: »
    That's a nice budget. How about an '04 Mercedes-Benz E-class diesel estate (new model)? About the biggest estate you can get. Excellent all-round car.

Or if you want a brand new car, a Ford Mondeo diesel automatic estate. This will be just outside of your budget, even if you get a healthy discount. Maybe a nearly new one from a dealer?

Both good options!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

-5,627 on any E-class from 03-06. Unless a) you can live with electronic glitches, or b) could stomach 7k for a replacement gearbox if it goes 'pop'............or, for auto, read 'slop' :p

Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Estate auto. 120 or 150bhp avail. Both good value compared to German stuff. 25k will get you one with full leather, climate, etc.

+1 on the Mondeo, though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Skoda Octavia

Merc could bankrupt you, Saab is a rough bugger - overpriced Opel.

Skoda best value for money, VW product at a realistic price.

• Advertisement

Fishtits wrote: »
    Skoda Octavia

Merc could bankrupt you, Saab is a rough bugger - overpriced Opel.

Skoda best value for money, VW product at a realistic price.

Skoda Octavia ok, but no need to spend 25k to get one...........

As for Saab, they don't use GM engine anymore.......the old Opel unit was a dog, I agree.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Honda Accord.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The diesel accord doesn't come with an auto option - although I think the new model that's due any day now may well have one but probably not at launch.

Stephen wrote: »
    The diesel accord doesn't come with an auto option - although I think the new model that's due any day now may well have one but probably not at launch.

for 25k? I don't think so !! I know someone who just brought in a manual 08 one from UK - cost inc VRT was 38k (ex-demo car).

I'd say you're looking at mid-40's for an auto one.........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am going to suggest the Octavia VRS DSG if you can find one, pref combi but hatch should be ok for a small family too.

Its a lot of car for the money.

Advertisement