Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A6 Sat nav retro-fit...

Options
  • 01-09-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone heard of an installer in the Dublin area that can fit the DVD naviagation to an A6 - has the full MMI already, so would like to fit the sat nav to finish it off. A couple of companies in Germany sell the kit, but would not be handy or brave enough to try the install myself.

Not really keen on plugging in external sat nav's if I can get away with it (but probably will go for it, if this turns out too expensive).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This is the only guy I've ever come across that does things like that. Although I've spoken to him and he seems to know what he's talking about, I've never used him to do it.

http://www.tclsatnav.com/index_003.htm

I'm not aware of anyone who'll do it in Dublin.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

there is a guy on audi-sport.net who does this kind of thing. Did in in a friends A3 for 1k when option price was 4kish. That included the brand new nav unit.

edit - think that might be his site that chris linked to. he works out of his garage near manchester, ferry over and back in the one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd think hard before doing it - a decent Garmin will be streets ahead of the Audi RNS-E, not to mention cheaper, easier, and upgradeable. If you are intent on going ahead, I think it's a relatively straight swap. There is a website i'll try to dig out that gives detailed instructions. You'll also need the use of a Ross-tech cable to set the car up afterwards - if you're anywhere near south Dublin you can use mine if you like.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd think hard before doing it - a decent Garmin will be streets ahead of the Audi RNS-E, not to mention cheaper, easier, and upgradeable. If you are intent on going ahead, I think it's a relatively straight swap. There is a website i'll try to dig out that gives detailed instructions. You'll also need the use of a Ross-tech cable to set the car up afterwards - if you're anywhere near south Dublin you can use mine if you like.

I'd be the opposite Anan1, can't beat the built in look, the integration with all the controls, including steering wheel and the little kick that helps when you come to sell on.

As the OP has all the MMI controls around the centre console it is an ideal upgrade that adds some nice features at reasonable cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd think hard before doing it - a decent Garmin will be streets ahead of the Audi RNS-E, not to mention cheaper, easier, and upgradeable.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 redbag

Cheers folks.

No question that the Garmin would have more functionality etc, but just prefer the integrated look. If things get messy I'll go for that option.

Thanks for the offer on the cable Anan - if you can get that website it would be great - I've seen one or two, but they were quite old (from 2005) and all the pics had gone.

I'll drop a note to AudiChris' guy anyhow and see what he comes back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This is a link to the site I used when I upgraded the nav on an A8: http://www.navplus.us/forums/

A6 instructions here. A bit high level.

http://www.navplus.us/forums/showthread.php?t=5918

I've managed to find a better page but in German

http://a6.stufftoread.com/wiki/index.php/Nachrüsten

the guy craigyb mentioned on the first link is the guy from audi-sport and pretty sure he is the guy from chris's link also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

copacetic wrote: »
    I'd be the opposite Anan1, can't beat the built in look, the integration with all the controls, including steering wheel and the little kick that helps when you come to sell on.

But if it doesn't successfully navigate...

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    But if it doesn't successfully navigate...

why wouldn't it? The dvds are updated every year.

Had an A6 for hire in Germany 2 years ago and Sat Nav was quite intutive and no hassles driving around, then again, the mapping in Germany may be better than here... Was out with the boss one day in his new 911 and the sat nav was shocking, so I think it very much varies by manufacturer how good/bad they are.

Have an email back from Craig - £799 - so about 1K our money...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Maybe try contacting Cartronics (www.cartronics.net). It seems like they are willing to give anything a go (offered to retro fit armrest in to a Vectra for me, if all the parts were provided).

I know OEM stuff is miles away from aftermarket electronics, but they have done great installs in the past for DVD systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It is probably possible as a DIY but you will most likely need access to a diagnosis tool to configure it.

The guys at www.vwnavi.com can be quite helpful.

I retrofitted one to a 2003 Passat, but then that didn't have the MMI aspect.

Checked out the audi price list - over 5K for the MMI Navigation System Plus ..

So spending 1K now- worth it or not come resale, not to make money back, but to make re-selling a tad easier? Or is doing the whole thing a bit mad? May give those guys at Cartronic a quick call. TCLSatNav are in the UK, so that would be more expense to ferry over and back (I've asked any chance they are over here any time soon!).

Advertisement