Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are the chances of finding a place?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭

gudday all, so im a mature student(well, im 24yr old male) starting off in dundalk this year.have to be there for this friday to register,so im heading up on wednesday to go house hunting.as im from galway,im hoping to find a place that day and move in,(as i dont drive myself so im going to load up the car with my stuff) what are the chances of me finding a suitable place on such short notice do ye reckon?
    also, are there any local newspapers that would have accomodation listings and part time/weekend jobs on offer?
    cheers for any advice guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

i'd say your chance are pretty slim. i have a house in rockfield court,really nice house,detached,if you were up for sharing with one other gimme a pm....think we're putting the deposit down today!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

papagormo wrote: »
    gudday all, so im a mature student(well, im 24yr old male) starting off in dundalk this year.have to be there for this friday to register,so im heading up on wednesday to go house hunting.as im from galway,im hoping to find a place that day and move in,(as i dont drive myself so im going to load up the car with my stuff) what are the chances of me finding a suitable place on such short notice do ye reckon?
    also, are there any local newspapers that would have accomodation listings and part time/weekend jobs on offer?
    cheers for any advice guys

Very very unlikely you will get a house available to move in on that day, most houses will have started there leases this week though so you might get lucky, I'd suggest contacting the student union and seeing if they can help you out

http://www.dkitsu.ie/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=2&Itemid=64

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

laura-can wrote: »
    i'd say your chance are pretty slim. i have a house in rockfield court,really nice house,detached,if you were up for sharing with one other gimme a pm....think we're putting the deposit down today!

cheers for the offer laura-can but iv have never shared a room before,and im prob stuck in my old ways!
    im going go up on the day and hope to get something,worst comes to worst i can B&B it for a night or two and keep looking.
    thanks also for the link there draffodx, ill get looking into it aswell.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

http://dkitsu.ie/images/stories/Copy...8-2009(12).xls

Start ringing some of those numbers now and maybe you'll get lucky...

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    http://dkitsu.ie/images/stories/Copy...8-2009(12).xls

Start ringing some of those numbers now and maybe you'll get lucky...

nice one,cheers for that.ill get onto it now:D

• Advertisement

let us know how ye get on ye?

so far as yet nothing concrete by any means, best iv managed is a viewing tomorrow for a room,its better than nothing i suppose

found a room in collge heights,happy days.da taximan told me taxi folk call the heights "the party zone"...oh lord!

yep ur fudgered!!!

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    yep ur fudgered!!!

Yeh its fairly mental on a monday and thursday night and if theres a ball on then forget about getting any sleep unless your wasted yourself!

• Advertisement

well the heights is a bit of a party zone alrite!
    but ara its all a bit of craic, feel fierce bad for the actual families living there though,imagine puttin kiddies to bed while the street outside is goin mental!ahh, id sleep through a war i reckon!

papagormo wrote: »
    well the heights is a bit of a party zone alrite!
    but ara its all a bit of craic, feel fierce bad for the actual families living there though,imagine puttin kiddies to bed while the street outside is goin mental!ahh, id sleep through a war i reckon!

its pretty well known that college heights is a no go area for family, any bit of research or even common sense would put a family off moving there, its 2 minutes walk from the college for gods sake!

so i personally have no sympathy for families that fail to do there homework and move in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭StiffLitlemicky

Yeah i hear the travelers that live on a site behind college heights are even thinking about upping caravans and moving somewhere quieter.:pac:

Yeah i hear the travelers that live on a site behind college heights are even thinking about upping caravans and moving somewhere quieter.:pac:

if only they would but that place is like a gold mine to them, the amount of houses that got robbed and tvs, laptops, microwaves stolen when i lived there was unreal.

one night they even just walked into our house and tried to pretend they were invited to our house party, they proceeded to tell us "they'd bury us where we stood" if we didn't let them stay. we kicked them out and a gang of about twenty of them form outside the front door where they grabbed and groped women walking buy until the gardai arrived with 2 paddy wagons and diffussed the whole situation.

just a warning to anyone in college heights to be carefull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

There's still a room on Campus if anyone is still looking, booked my place the other day :D

dirtydress wrote: »
    There's still a room on Campus if anyone is still looking, booked my place the other day :D

yeh sure campus is over priced and full of foreign students, its never full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

draffodx wrote: »
    yeh sure campus is over priced and full of foreign students, its never full

Firstly, no its not and secondly...wow thats a bit racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Not really. It's the truth. He didn't say it was in a derogatory tone or anything.

dirtydress wrote: »
    Firstly, no its not and secondly...wow thats a bit racist!

It is over priced compared to houses in any of the estates around the college, and there was over 20 foreign students in my class last year all of whom were in the on campus accomadation along with all there friends.

Also as Im...LOST said it was in no way a derogatory remark at all. I simply meant its usually allocated to foreigners who dont have time to search out a local house

Advertisement