Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish courses??

• 01-09-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi!!
    Can anyone recommend an irish leaving cert course?? i live in dublin 3 area close to drumcondra, town..
    Has anyone done it in plunketts on the swords road?? if so what did u think of it?? that one would be really handy for me its only down the road and its quite cheap!!!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Hi Kelly,
    I didn't do that course, but have been in contact with someone who did.
    They got an A2!!!!
    They'd recommend it a lot.
    There was an issue last year:- there were 2 classes & the teacher of the other class quit, & another quite I think, but this person had no bother & I think felt lucky not to be in the other class.
    It's a great price. I'd defo say go for it.
    If you PM me I can try & put you in contact with the other person I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kellyt25

Thats great thanks a mill boozybabe!! im goin to apply on monday!!
    Seen as u replied i might aswell ask a few questions..what way have u gotten into primary school teaching??
    I am going into my 2nd year of a level 8 business degree!! i only have 465 points shud i apply for it through cao or try for the post grad after my degree?? i know how difficult it is to get it!!
    Also wud u recommend applying for hibernia aswell??
    What do u think??

Hi Kelly,

I'm not in teaching. YET!!!!!!
    I'm waiting for my interview with Hibernia.
    Why Hibernia? I have mortgages, bills etc, so I need an income. I cannot place all the financial burden on my partner, so I need to be able to work.
    Hibernia is every bit as good as any other post grad & graduates from there start on the same point on the payscale as anyone else.
    In saying that, it will only be possible for me to stay in my job until prob the 2nd TP, & even at that I'll need my boss to be V flexible to allow me time off for my 1st TP. After that, between the amt of time needed off, & the amount of study required, I don't think it will be possible to hold down full time employment. At that stage I'll sub.

What do you feel you should do? As I have no idea!! Do you enjoy what you're currently doing? Is it in any way related to education? Is it something you feel you'd be happy to fall back on if teaching didn't work out for you?
    Do you have enough points for teaching?
    Are you under 23?
    If you're in a dead end course which you have no interest in, have the points & are under 23, then I think I'd be edging towards going back & doing the B'Ed & getting in through the CAO, cos I think competition is even fierce in the B'Ed's for mature student places.
    If you know it's what you defo want to do, then I'd go do it.

Pity you didn't ask the questions a few months back tho!! But, better late than never.
    That's my motto anyway!!!

Im 20 and i did my leaving cert last year. im doing a business degree now and will be going into my 2nd year. The course is 3 years! i thought i wanted to do it a year ago but now i realise that its not for me and i always had teaching in the back of my mind!!

i am defo going to finish my degree because after i do irish this year then i will have another year done in business and only 1 more year to go so no point in wasting it! And then once im finished my degree im going to apply for the post grad for pats etc and also hibernia.
    Im considering applying through the CAO that year aswell!! I dont know if il have enough points though. I got 465 in my leaving and the points this year for pats were 470, marino 465 and froebel were 460. so thats likely to go up in the next 2 years. But i might aswell apply for every route.

In the mean time to heighten my chances of getting the post grad i am teaching kids camogie/hurling every sat morning in my GAA club. I will be sitting in on a junior infants class every 2nd week for a day, and then i will eventually start subbing!!
    When is ur interview??
    What kind of preparatory work do u have to do for it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

I enrolled for the hons irish course in Plunkets this evening, there are three classes this year. I hope to get into the h.dip in ed next year. How do they work out how you get in?

• Advertisement

abi2007 wrote: »
    How do they work out how you get in?

What do you mean Abi? Who is 'They'? Do you mean the HDip?
    Who are you planning on applying to?
    You apply to the college provided you meet the Entry Criteria.
    You then get interviewed in English & Irish & they then pick the most suitable for the course from that.
    Is that what you wanted to know?

I enrolled in plunketts last night too!!
    im real nervous about it..i hope i can manage it!!! how did u find it boozybabe??? Is it possible to apply through CAO, post grad and through hibernia all in the same year?? :) might aswell try every route!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 evie08

hi folks, my first post ever on boards.ie..

i went to plunketts this evening to enrol for the leaving cert irish, and there was a notice on the door saying that due to unforeseen circumstances, there would be no evening classes for september. can anyone shed any light on this please???

No way?? i have no idea i thought it was meant to start the 22nd of sept??

Crumlin college are doing honours Irish for leaving cert for €100. I just spoke to a very helpful lady called Maura Conway (4547193) in CDVEV. Enrollment is tonight (it has been on all week) 6.45 to 8.45. The course itself is going to be on Saturday mornings from 9.15 to 11.15. Happy days folks, beats paying €1,300 to IOE.

• Advertisement

guys....i feel like a right eeegit....just rang plunkett and asked what the story was with college...turns out i was at whitehall college and not plunkett ...(and here is me looking to do primary school teaching!!). Sorry if i caused any heart-attacks !

Advertisement