Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question For Those Who Have Home Servers / Leave Machines On All Day...

Options
  • 01-09-2008 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

...won't you people please think of the polar bears?

Mods, wait! Although, we *should* be thinking about the polar bears (amongst other things) I do have a genuine question! :D

I'll probably be setting up a small home server of some kind shortly. I'm following that "Low-power home server" thread and there's some very interesting suggestions in there. However, is anyone ever concerned with sparks / overheating / fire?

I know it rarely happens as there are many safeguards between a machine and a full-blown fire (auto temp-based shutdown, plug fuses, circuit breakers, etc.) and is most likely down to the likes of faulty wiring in the rare occasion it does happen. But even still, does anyone ever consider / worry about this? A fire in a data center with an automated argon gas release system is one thing, but a fire in your home is an entirely different kettle of charred, stinky fish...

I'd be interested to hear what people's opinions on this are and if they take any particular precautions (alarms, extinguishers, keeping their servers in the garage with bare brickwork, etc.). Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I assume most would use the wake on lan function to prevent it actually being on most of the time when it's not being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Computers are designed to be left on for a long time. Most componensts run on low voltages, the mains is broken down to 12V, 5V and 3.3V by the power supply. No risk at all.

Only problem I have with leaving mine running 24/7 is the build-up of dust but I blow them out every 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tbh I don't think a desktop is a very good way to start a fire. Nothing inside is really flammable or capable of producing the heat needed to spread a fire.

I have seen quite a few power supply's go and all you get is a pop and some smoke as parts blow. Nothing that would scream panic.

Server rooms have such high standards because of the amount of power that goes through them, the proximity to other devices and the extras in the rooms like the upc units. When they blow you really see sparks fly. Its also because they can't afford to lose anything to a fire, even in the very unlikely event that one would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Yeah my sister was playing around with the sockets at the
    back of my PC (Which wasn't functioning correctly) and it
    literally blew up in her face.

She was grand, no harm done although she was extremely pissed
    off.

No fire either. Just a smell of fish. Damn stinking capacitors! :D

Advertisement