Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gpa question

Options
  • 01-09-2008 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

what GPA do you need to recieve a second class honours in ARTS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

A II.II or a II.I? The minimum for each is 2.48 and 3.08, respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

is a II.II a second honours degree?

Second class honours, second grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

whats the gpa for a first class honours then??

3.68 and up. How do people not know this?

• Advertisement

damn i thought it was just 3.6 ......... man i wish my second year didnt count towards it, dont think ill be reaching first class :( may just stick wi II.I

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

damn i thought it was just 3.6 ......... man i wish my second year didnt count towards it, dont think ill be reaching first class :( may just stick wi II.I

It is mathematically impossible for me to get a first class honours degree, and I even got a 2:1 in second year:mad::mad::mad:

i hav 3.28 at the moment, not a chance in hell ill be able to get a first :(

I guess it's better late than never. It's really not difficult to get a I.I. Is your degree weighted 30% for the pre-final stage and 70% for the final? Or is it 50/50? Try for a 4.2 GPA this year.

50/50 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It is mathematically impossible for me to get a first class honours degree, and I even got a 2:1 in second year:mad::mad::mad:
    Are you in a 3 yr degree, weighted 50-50?

If you got a 2.1 in 2nd year then its not mathematically impossible to get a first over all. Extremely difficult perhaps, but not mathematically impossible.

Actually if he only scraped a II.I then it is mathematically impossible. Say he got the minimum of 3.08 + 4.2 = 7.28 / 2 = 3.64 which is .04 short of a first. Anywhere from 3.08 to 3.14 (3.15 if they round down) makes it mathematically impossible.

lol it may not be MATHEMATICALLY impossible for me , but its seriously seriously unlikely!! lol gonna aim and try tho :)

Thats kind of funny. Under the system I had, if one just scraped a 2.1 there was plenty of opportunity to still come out with a 1st. (Over 80% would have done it).

I thought the only thing that had changed was outward appearence. Does this mean that the new UCD degrees are not comparable to the old ones?

Thats kind of funny. Under the system I had, if one just scraped a 2.1 there was plenty of opportunity to still come out with a 1st. (Over 80% would have done it).

I thought the only thing that had changed was outward appearence. Does this mean that the new UCD degrees are not comparable to the old ones?
    Back in the day when it was all 30/70, pre-final and final, it was possible to get a first even when someone got a II.II in pre-final year. No idea why they changed it - I believe commerce is still 30/70, though. The change to the B.A. weighting only happened recently, I believe.

Before the GPA I think it was just an average of 70% got you a first.

But its worse than that. I just checked the GPAs and the only thing that has stayed the same is the pass mark, 40%, other than that they've made the requirements for a 1st, 2.1 and 2.2 all lower. I dont understand why. It just looks like a fancy trick for yet more grade inflations.

Would it not have been more logical for the classifications to be:

Honour Weighted GPA
    1st Class: 3.8 and above
    2.I : 3.2 to 3.79 inclusive
    2.II : 2.6 to 3.19 inclusive
    Pass : 2.00 to 2.59 inclusive

Though that still makes getting a first when you got a 2.1 in 2nd year impossible :mad:

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Before the GPA I think it was just an average of 70% got you a first.

I was just using the OPs situation as an example of how it used to be possible to get a 1st if you had a 2.1 in second year.

60% in 2nd year and 80% in third year weighted 50:50 = 70% = 1st class honour. If Ive messed that up then I really shouldnt be in work right now...

I think they've tried to emphasise the continual assessment method with equal weighting for two years. The 30/70 method is better in my eyes.

Trying to maintain a minimum of 3.8 (an A-) for two years would definitely cut down I.I numbers, especially on 50/50. The figure I heard floating around was 23% achieved a I.I - on average. That's going to vary across different disciplines, of course. The average in the U.K. I heard was something like 11-13% achieving a I.I. That could be all wrong for all I know.
    Honour Weighted GPA
    1st Class 3.8 and above
    2.1 3.2 to 3.79 inclusive
    2.2 2.6 to 3.59 inclusive
    Pass 2.00 to 2.59 inclusive
    I think you meant to write '2.2: 2.6 to 3.19' :P

I've never heard of another University using 4.2 as the upper limit in GPAs. Most seem to have 4.0 as the max. The system as a whole is a bit odd really, especially the grading (77% = A+ :confused:).

Ah maybe they're right. There were far too many people coming out with firsts, and I suppose it is right that one good cram cant be enough to get a first.

Though why they didnt make them the same as other GPA systems I dont know.

The 76+ thing makes sense to me, back in my day it was just completely unheard of to get say 80%. I remember when the changes came in (there was a different GPA system tried in the first year to the one you use now) and people were getting 90s and 100% - it would have made our degrees completely incomparable.

If it lowers the numbers getting firsts then it's a positive step. You're probably right - the 77% is most likely a figure they based on average marks in classes. It is quite rare that you have people achieving 85%+ marks in modules now that I think of it.

• Advertisement

ok at the risk of sounding seriosly stupid and out of my depth here, (in my defence i was never told any of this, and really was too lazy to go looking for info like this until now!!!) but what do you mean an a+ is 77% ?
    if that is so, then what is, say, a D- ? where do they distinguish between grades?

Grade         Lower %    Upper %    GPA
    A+            76.67      100        4.2
    A             73.33      76.66      4
    A-            70         73.32      3.8
    B+            66.67      69.99      3.6
    B             63.33      67.66      3.4
    B-            60         63.32      3.2
    C+            56.67      59.99      3
    C             53.33      56.66      2.8
    C-            50         53.32      2.6
    D+            46.67      49.99      2.4
    D             43.33      46.66      2.2
    D-            40         43.32      2
    E+            36.67      39.99      1.6
    E             33.33      36.66      1.6
    E-            30         33.32      1.6
    F+            26.67      29.99      1
    FM (F)        23.33      26.66      1
    F-            20         23.32      1
    G+            16.67      19.99      0.4
    G             13.33      16.66      0.4
    G-            0.02       13.32      0.4
    NG            0.01         0

Grading guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yep I am at the lower end of a 2:1, I had a disastrous first semester (should have quit work sooner) and a good recovery in the second semester. If it was 30:70 I could recover to a first but cest la vie. I thought it was supposed to mimic the US system (the GPA system), I think it is silly to go up to 4.2 and not 4.0 as in the states.

Advertisement