Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt

Options
  • 01-09-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I left my Seat Leon into the advance pitstop on the Naas Rd this morning for a service - guy has just rang me to say the timing belt needs to be replaced as mileage on the car has just exceeded 120000 miles - problem is it's €510 including changing the fan belt and I just can't afford it at the moment.

Can I get this done cheaper elsewhere?

As it is the bill is €450 as front brake disks and pads need to be replaced - this is €250.

Also there is a light on on the dash in the car and I asked them to check this out also - see attachment. He "thinks" it's to do with the temperature of the cololant and would need to get this from a Seat dealer. Anybody else got any thoughs on this?

Thanks.

EireEV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

timng belt was last changed when?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume thats a "check engine" warning light. How did he come up with the coolant being at fault?

As for the timing belt, these should be changed at regular intervals. If it snaps (it could go today or may never go!) it will presumably require a new engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

my thoughts exactly kbannon - who knows? Any ideas on what it could be?

I'm not sure when the timing belt was changed last but bought the car with 60000 miles on it so have done another 60000 without having it changed.
    Are there any tell-tale signs to indicate that the belt is about to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

EireEV wrote: »

60000 miles without a change is a good sign that it's about to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I
    Can I get this done cheaper elsewhere?

As it is the bill is €450 as front brake disks and pads need to be replaced - this is €250.
    Don't even think of getting it done "cheaper" Your timing belt is critically over due and has passed its shelf life. Contact your main dealer
    and get a quote from them, that’s the bottom line on the job. Main Dealers have all the correct tools for this job, they replace all worn parts not just the belt, will check water pump etc It may cost more but at least you have peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are no signs that one can be sure of.
    I drove an old Mk III Fiesta up to about 150K and never had it replaced (great little car in fairness). But on the other hand, I remember marshaling in Mondello a number of years ago and Dermot Carnegie parked his focus beside us - timing belt had snapped and it was a relatively new engine (I know its not as relevant but my point was that it can go at any time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

my thoughts exactly kbannon - who knows? Any ideas on what it could be?

I'm not sure when the timing belt was changed last but bought the car with 60000 miles on it so have done another 60000 without having it changed.
    Have a look at the engine. Sometimes mechanics write it on a part of the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Unfortuately the timing belt should have being changed at 60000mls on the leon so if it wasn't done it really needs to be. Its an expense you should just cough up for unfortuately.
    It sucks sending it in for one thing and them finding another thing wrong with it around €500 for timing belt seems ok imo, no?

The engine light could be anything. Usually its the lambda sensor. But it could be anything. You'll need to bring it to seat to get it properly checked out im afraid. Unless you know a mechanic with the proper equipment.

Sorry to here about the timing belt. but it'll cost you more if you need to get a new car/engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Think of getting mine done, its last change was, 65K KM . I am now at 99K KM..

Should I get it done?

Sorry for thread robbing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

msg11 wrote: »

Should I get it done?

Depends on what the car is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OP, get your timing belt done immediately. It went on a friend of mine's car and cost mucho dinero to get fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

AudiChris wrote: »
    OP, get your timing belt done immediately.

+1

I would get it done at a main dealers though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

kbannon wrote: »
    There are no signs that one can be sure of.
    I drove an old Mk III Fiesta up to about 150K and never had it replaced (great little car in fairness).

well if your Fiesta was 1.3, then it was probably that old 1.3 pushrod engine = no timing belt that needs changed at all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭brundle

msg11 wrote: »

Should I get it done?

Thats 2 timing belts for 60,000 miles and only 20,000 miles or so since last belt so not due yet im sure

How much will it cost to get this done at a Seat dealer including labour and how long would it take to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ring up and ask.

Not your ornery onager

rang main Seat dealer and quote inclusive of labour is €585 - good or bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sounds in the ballpark to me.

I don't know if it applies to this particular car, but it's often a good idea to do other stuff like water pumps, tensioner pulleys, thermostats, etc, during a timing belt job.

Anyone know the specifics for this car, and whether the OP should see about getting other stuff done at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

ya you should get the water pump and tensioners done with the belt

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

AudiChris wrote: »
    OP, get your timing belt done immediately. It went on a friend of mine's car and cost mucho dinero to get fixed.

+1

OP, i bought a car which the timing belt hadn't been done on, and i put it off for three weeks and it snapped on me. The total cost to be fixing it was
    €900 for parts (alot of which i got discounted etc. through the trade)
    Also two days labour, of which i only paid in cups of coffee and biscuits, but if it were to happen you, and you have no mechanical experience i can see it costing definitly €1250++ as it's not an easy job.

If you haven't the money to do the belt, imagine if you hadn't money to rebuild the engine and be without a car.

I know i come on a bit harsh but it's just something that you have to do. Get it out of the way.

Here's the thread
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055314135&highlight=timing+belt+snapped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 dainius

the timing belt cost me 250. If you shop around you find garages that dont charge a fortune.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i got my timing belt and water coolant tank replaced for €400.00 on a Seat Ibzia.

You should ring around

Advertisement