Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hummer VRT / US import?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

So...

If I want to buy Hummer from Florida (US)
    after actual cost and shipping I must to pay:

1) 10 % Custom
    2) 21 % VAT
    3) VRT - possibly 30 % from value

Am I right?

Dollar is so low at the moment so You can get Hummer like 12k-14k easy
    Allways looked - and today price to buy I can afford ,
    but
    can I afford to register it to Ireland or it makes more sense to buy it from Europe?
    Checked VRT webpage , there is no such name - Hummer
    seems to be very hard to find out total price for this car

2 Years ago when I bought Skyline from Japan ,everything was simple,prices and other fees easy to find and calculate together.All process was easy.
    Is it harder to bring car from US to IRL ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

post split off from out-of-date VRT thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So...

1) 10 % Custom
    2) 21 % VAT

Am I right?

but
    can I afford to register it to Ireland or it makes more sense to buy it from Europe?

2 Years ago when I bought Skyline from Japan ,everything was simple,prices and other fees easy to find and calculate together.All process was easy.

Phone up the nearest VRO office. give them the details. They are quite helpful if you have all the info before you call. Dont dally on the phone looking for details of the car that you dont have to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

as cheap as that?? really?? god damn you've gone and put thoughts into my head........ my eco weene neighbours love me really :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

1) 10 % Custom
    2) 21 % VAT

Pretty much. Note that VAT is over the total cost you incurred, including shipping the car over. Also VRT is 36% under the new CO2 emissions based system. And the "value" is determined by the VRO and it might be way too high or way too low compared to a realistic market value in Ireland. You could ring them, but you're unlikely to get through. Email works but it might take several weeks for a reply

Let us know on this thread how you are getting on. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

unkel wrote: »
    Pretty much. Note that VAT is over the total cost you incurred, including shipping the car over. Also VRT is 36% under the new CO2 emissions based system. And the "value" is determined by the VRO and it might be way too high or way too low compared to a realistic market value in Ireland. You could ring them, but you're unlikely to get through. Email works but it might take several weeks for a reply

Let us know on this thread how you are getting on. Good luck!

Ive phoned and got through just fine and that was only two weeks ago, They are not all bad.
    Anyway besides that, the running cost i.e insurance and most notabily Fuel are extraordinary. My mate has one , id never ever be tempted to buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,922 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You may also need some mechanical adaptions, such as lighting, to meet legal requirements here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So...

1) 10 % Custom
    2) 21 % VAT

Am I right?

but

Look, just get the penis enlargment surgery altogether.... It'll be cheaper

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Be nice TIG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 matikala@gmail.

Look, just get the penis enlargment surgery altogether.... It'll be cheaper

Hmm...seriously

why You comment like that ?

- Because You dont have money or interest to buy Hummer?
    - You have no money for Hummer and also for surgery Yourself ?

stupiest comment ever - and You can get loads of them,especially from people who drives with very loud 1litre ( modified) cars :)))

Hummer is great 4x4 and I cant afford to buy new one - thats true - but I can afford 20k -30k include. motorloan.

I know guy ( in IRELAND) who drived with helicopter to feed cows - and thats true ( might Galway people know,who'm Im talking about) so how we can call people like that ...or what kind of surgery can we recommend?
    And who are You to check my wallet anyway ?

No need larger - Im married and happy
    No need cheaper - I can afford - Can You...?

Anyway thanks for answers ;)
    What mechanical adaptions we talking about?
    Is there any speciffic points,where must to be careful
    I actually heard about this before,that lights and engine sound can be trouble to bring car over from US

Anyway thanks for answers ;)
    What mechanical adaptions we talking about?
    Is there any speciffic points,where must to be careful
    I actually heard about this before,that lights and engine sound can be trouble to bring car over from US

Rear indicators in the US are sometimes red (and/or integrated with other lights) - you need orange indicators here. Thats the biggest one I can think off of the top of my head.

If its an 05+ I *think* you must have km/h on the speedometer - but most US cars would and a replacement dial isn't that impossible to acquire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'd be more worried about fuel consumption than the rest of it and turning circle/road width.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Alkers

Surely with regards to shipping the thing over Florida would be the worst place to buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

MYOB wrote: »
    If its an 05+ I *think* you must have km/h on the speedometer - but most US cars would and a replacement dial isn't that impossible to acquire.

No it's fine with mph, the government here recently looked into it but making mph only legal for cars but that's illegal under EU law.

OP, if you want to save a fortune you can VRT it for €50 by turning it into a commercial vehicle, simply have the back seats removed, back windows blanked and seat belt anchors removed. Road tax is a reasonable €279 for commerical vehicles. I'd imagine a Hummer 5 years old or less of any roadworthy condition will be €15k plus in VRT.

How come the UK forces you to have MPH (or MPH and KMH but not KMH alone) if its against EU rules? That we're not forcing it is grand, its fairly petty and most people can figure out whats what...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    OP, if you want to save a fortune you can VRT it for €50 by turning it into a commercial vehicle, simply have the back seats removed, back windows blanked and seat belt anchors removed. Road tax is a reasonable €279 for commerical vehicles.

yep, and pop them back in once its DOE'd ;):D

actually, would one of the Pickup crewcab type bodied hummers not be considered commercial anyway?

I dont know...I never bought car from US.

Thats pretty much reason,why Im asking those questions here.
    It might be stupiest thing ever to buy but I google'd like 100 times and there is only bit info how to buy limo from US..

I tryed to find place to rent Hummer for like couple of hours,might be I even dont like it..cant find place from ireland..

Meet two Hummer owners (IRL) and it does not seems to be that expencive now:

fuel approx. 15 l per 100km
    Insurance N/A
    Road tax 1200 ( today 2000) per year

Well ... young fellows paying like over 2000 euro insurance + road taxes + loads of petrol
    I using my car normally 1-2 days per week ( 5-6 days on the road with company car) Road tax is big but insurance and petrol not so much.. I think I wouldnt spend for car annually really more than any other guy..

I think over all it matters,where and why U using it
    If You need it like every day to go work,its bad idea.

At least Im asking advise to bring it here legally not like most of the east european guys who works in factory's and drives here with them 3 litre Merzedeses without paying any road tax or high insurance fees..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Even if you drive like a grandmother, that sounds very optimistic to me.

The 2000 is only for '08 and newer cars in the highest CO2 band. Any '07 or older car in that band, like a Hummer, will pay €1491

And what Anan1 said, not a hope of 15l/100km unless all you do is intercity driving at a fairly constant 90km/h

googeled:

One H2 owner says average 18 mpg what is approx. 15l per 100km
    Some tests 12-14 mpg ( around 20l per 100km)

still not bad... for speed we must open Ferrari/Lambo VRT topic.
    I dont mind to drive 90km/h with Hummer , there will be no rush with SUV like this... :)))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hummer is great 4x4

Eh, no.

Best of luck anyway but I wouldn't be planning too much off-roading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Didn't top gear do review of the hummer and it was getting around 3 mpg...?

-- Yup...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/857890/top_gear_hummer_h1_e_h2/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Have had a bit of experience with one of these and got the pleasure of a quick spin one.
    They are big, hard to park, hard to drive, underpowered and very hard on fuel. The interior is nothing special. The one i was in had black leather which was worn very easily. The steering wheel/dash etc. looked out dated. All in all there was nothing special about the interior.

Tyre's are huge, i wouldn't like the cost of replacing them. When the jeep was idleing it was reading 10 mpg and when we put the foot down it went down to near nothing.

Got plenty of looks from people, one fella blew a kiss at us as he drove by (we being two fella's).

All in all the pro's are it's big, has a huge road presence and will get you looks.

The cons are endless. So much so i won't even start to list them. Only if you can afford to buy one, and still have plenty of bob in the bank to run it, only then would i in any way say it would be feasible.
    Best of luck with it if you do buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I dont know...I never bought car from US.

Thats pretty much reason,why Im asking those questions here.
    It might be stupiest thing ever to buy but I google'd like 100 times and there is only bit info how to buy limo from US..

I tryed to find place to rent Hummer for like couple of hours,might be I even dont like it..cant find place from ireland..

Meet two Hummer owners (IRL) and it does not seems to be that expencive now:

Insurance N/A

Well ... young fellows paying like over 2000 euro insurance + road taxes + loads of petrol
    I using my car normally 1-2 days per week ( 5-6 days on the road with company car) Road tax is big but insurance and petrol not so much.. I think I wouldnt spend for car annually really more than any other guy..

I think over all it matters,where and why U using it
    If You need it like every day to go work,its bad idea.

At least Im asking advise to bring it here legally not like most of the east european guys who works in factory's and drives here with them 3 litre Merzedeses without paying any road tax or high insurance fees..

Do you own an insurance company?? Otherwise you'll be loaded for 6l engine; LHD and the overall increased risk of damaging something due to it's size.

I'd say with a full licence and a full NCB, even a middle aged man could be looking at upwards of €3,000 a year.

I imagine 30l/100km is more like it than 15l/100km

Seems to be really bad idea to buy one..

Not a one good word for H2...

Looked 4x4 tests (youtube) and its seems to be like really great fun :rolleyes:

...no ,dont have insurance company..
    Interesting story about that anyway:

when I tyryed to insure my Skyline,then there was very few insurance companies,who has been agreed to insure me - like 2000 euro per year , because its seems to be not a car,but monster.
    Most of them didnt have Skyline name even in the list..
    Anyway ,Alianze Insurance insured me (windscreen,etc)online with 600 euro/year.

I think , You might get better deal than 3000 ... even to turn it to commercial can help a lot.

Im not really sure about fuel....like 3 mpg is bit .....not good enough...

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'd say with a full licence and a full NCB, even a middle aged man could be looking at upwards of €3,000 a year

I'd wager a middle aged man with a full NCB would pay less than a grand a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

MYOB wrote: »
    How come the UK forces you to have MPH (or MPH and KMH but not KMH alone) if its against EU rules? That we're not forcing it is grand, its fairly petty and most people can figure out whats what...

I would guess they can do it as their limits are in mph....

Cars with mph on the speedos also have km/h, which means you still know what speed your doing in the appropriate denomination.

It doesn't work the other way around as there are just km on our cars.

Obviously all us enthusiasts know what the equivalent is in one or the other, but I would guess a lot of the motoring public may not ;).

OP:

I would say commercial would be the only way to go for the hummer, however I would think about the suitability of the vehicle for our roads and the high probability of selling it on easily.

Also, servicing and parts costs would be astronomical, these all must be factored in, not just the cost of buying it.

Kudos for unusual choice though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

UK mountain rescue have bought a H2 as a working vehicle, a sign of its ability on tracks and mountains. Its off road credentials are not in Doubt TBH, it apparently has great off road ability. Its on road ability and practicability in Ireland are doubtful, but fair play for at least being a little different. I would'nt fancy driving it around the narrow streets of cork.

I am however a huge fan of US pickups, the ford F series and Chevy silverado I particulary like. A guy I know has a Dodge SRT-10 Ram pickup in Ireland, with the Viper engine. Subtle it isnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ninety9er wrote:
    I'd say with a full licence and a full NCB, even a middle aged man could be looking at upwards of €3,000 a year
    unkel wrote: »
    I'd wager a middle aged man with a full NCB would pay less than a grand a year.

Gentlemen, it appears we have a wager. State your terms.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

So...

1) 10 % Custom
    2) 21 % VAT

Am I right?

but

I bought a 2002 one of these in 2005 and the value the vro put on it was 78000. I turned it into a commercial to avoid the vrt. They are heavy on petrol but it never really bothered me I have always had thirsty cars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Ha 3k for insurance? I was only 23 yo on a provisional with no ncb and my insurance was 1200 a year back then, they have come down alot since then. Honestly they aren't a nice drive or nice in the interior. I bought it to advertise my business and I think it has paid dividends for me. I only get about 10 miles to the gallon but drive into town alot, in saying that I used to only get 16 miles to the gallon in a 1995 volvo 850 t5... OP if you are in dublin you can have a drive of mine some time.

Also I would not advise taking out seats and then putting them back in, during the summer often in the nice areas in dublin over the weekends there are customs checkpoints which check for this and vrt. They will take it off you for a month or two, charge you the vrt rate relating to the year it was imported and also fine you 10% of the OMSP!

Advertisement