Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hummer VRT / US import?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 matikala@gmail.

to turn H2 to commercial - must to be done in US before buy or I can do it later,when I have it in Ireland? Does it save VAT or other custom fees or only VRT?

What custom money we talking about if I can bring it over as commercial ?
    Lets talk total value approx. 20 000 euro shipped.
    I really dont bother myself about fuel or road tax really.Hopefully it does not need parts eather ( still jeep , must to be strong )

• Registered Users Posts: 68,922 ✭✭✭✭L1011

PaulKK wrote: »
    I would guess they can do it as their limits are in mph....

Cars with mph on the speedos also have km/h, which means you still know what speed your doing in the appropriate denomination.

It doesn't work the other way around as there are just km on our cars.

Obviously all us enthusiasts know what the equivalent is in one or the other, but I would guess a lot of the motoring public may not ;).

My point was I've seen an MPH only speedo on a US import before (Lincoln something or other IIRC), however there may be no rules against it, just a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hopefully it does not need parts eather ( still jeep , must to be strong )

I'd expect an 80s Lada to have better build quality as per Limerick-man's report.

To be honest, most cars made by a US car-maker mainly for the domestic market are badly put together and not all that great to drive....

That said. I've never driven one, so will reserve judgment:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

A trip to the all american motor show next Sunday 6th in Kilbeggen Co. Westmeath is a must. There will be hundreds of people there who will have all the answers. There are always a few vehicles for sale there also. There could very well be a hummer for sale and save yourself the hassle of importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi matikala@gmail

If you would like to talk to and see some Hummer and American car owners come to our American show on Sunday 7th Sept in Kilbeggan.
    I have imported a few cars and trucks from the states and currently drive a Dodge ram 1500 5.7lt V8 as my daily and mileage is about 17-20mpg my other one is a Dodge ram 3500 5.9lt diesel does 16-18mpg http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Dodge/Ram/3500/478803/
    Drop me a pm if you want to chat about any aspect of bringing in a vehicle from the states or parts and servicing american autos
    hope this helps
    cheers
    joe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

siralfalot wrote: »
    yep, and pop them back in once its DOE'd ;):D

actually, would one of the Pickup crewcab type bodied hummers not be considered commercial anyway?
    Do you really think that the revenue are not aware of this scam?
    Trust me they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kbannon wrote: »
    Do you really think that the revenue are not aware of this scam?
    Trust me they are!

Has been done and fully legal with the Amazon's. Just needs an extra box welded underneath the booth the make the space to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Has been done and fully legal with the Amazon's. Just needs an extra box welded underneath the booth the make the space to qualify.

What do you mean? It is illegal to change back a commercial to a passanger without declaring it and paying the vrt.

Also to the OP no you can have the conversion done here, I used a palce in swords who did a great job for 1600. If you are self employed and need it for your business you can claim the vat back and also write 95% of the expense including import duty off against your business along with all the fuel, insurance, tax and servicing costs ect. (5% is BIK)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

its absolutely not legal to put seats back in and you will be found out as your insurance disk will say commercial,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

of course its not legal to replace the seats! :rolleyes:
    doesn't mean that chancers all over the country are not doing it, I see them every day of the week.

Are crew cab pickups still classified as commercial?

• Advertisement

sentenel wrote: »
    .... Hi matikala@gmail
    Drop me a pm if you want to chat about any aspect of bringing in a vehicle from the states or parts and servicing american autos
    hope this helps
    cheers
    joe

Hi Joe!

Will contact for sure,cheers!
    Can't make it 7.09 ( annual family trip aboard )
    Hopefully somebody will film it and put up to Youtube or something..

Thanks again!

** what is the story about turning H2 to commercial - must it to be done in US before buy or can I do it after I have it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

doesn't mean that chancers all over the country are not doing it, I see them every day of the week.

There are people all over the country selling drugs, they may well never get caught but if they do, just like vrt dodgers they will be screwed.

Before the vrt change to emissions crewcabs had a special 13.5% rate, don't know if it changed since then?

Both my Crewcabs are classed as commercial
    cheers
    joe

Hi Joe!

Will contact for sure,cheers!
    Can't make it 7.09 ( annual family trip aboard )
    Hopefully somebody will film it and put up to Youtube or something..

Thanks again!

** what is the story about turning H2 to commercial - must it to be done in US before buy or can I do it after I have it here?

Hi Matikala

As you have to VRT a vehicle the next working day after it lands in the country it would have to be done in the states, but some people don't stick to this timetable:eek:;) and make their modifications here before the vehicle is VRTed.

cheers
    joe

Thanks Joe!

Yep,it makes sense.. Couple of days shut be enough to remove seats and show it as commercial to VRT guys. Unless they dont read out something from registration documents ..

So it comes from US as Commercial Ill pay only something like 50 euro VRT ?

Correct me if Im wrong:

H2 (2003)what Im looking for cost 13000
    plus shipping - approx...................2000
    plus 10%...................................16500
    plus 21%...................................19965

and now depence - Commercial or Private?

Interesting,do US guys have same system as IRL that You can change private car to be 4 commercial .As far I know in some european countries You can not modify car ( I think finland and sweden,but I can be wrong).

Mickk wrote: »
    What do you mean? It is illegal to change back a commercial to a passanger without declaring it and paying the vrt.

Lol, what i meant was, which i didn't clearly state, is you can change it to commercial crew cab,(which will keep the five seats, but must have a certain storage space in the back, hence the extra box added in) and pay the lower vrt bracket. Have it classified as a commericial.

What everyone else is thinking about is taking out the seats, declaring it as a commercial and putting the seats back in. Which is illegal and which should not be done.

I saw a local dealer lately advertising a jeep as a 7 seater commercial, i rang him out of curiosity and he said "It has seven seats, but it is commercial taxed." I soon told him the problems he could face and the add was rectified and the seats have now been taken out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What everyone else is thinking about is taking out the seats, declaring it as a commercial and putting the seats back in. Which is illegal and which should not be done.
    The DOE centre I use has official orders from the County Council/Dept of Environment/whoever to check that the redundant seatbelt mounts in the rear of these vehicles are permanently disabled.
    This means 'welded up', as far as the powers that be are concerned.

Rovi wrote: »
    The DOE centre I use has official orders from the County Council/Dept of Environment/whoever to check that the redundant seatbelt mounts in the rear of these vehicles are permanently disabled.
    This means 'welded up', as far as the powers that be are concerned.

I don't think they have to be "welded up". It's just a case that it's out of view. A fella i know got away with taking the seat's out, welding the screws for the seats only, and putting the seat belt's behind the plastics. Also no tint or window covering. This is a rare case as normally a box etc. is put in, windows covered the whole lot.

Advertisement