Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orton the Irrespressible....(awesome intervew inside!)..

• 01-09-2008 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭

Dunno if this was posted or not, anyways its a really good Orton interview where he discusses his injury knocking out Kenny, and his relief at being away from the same show as
    Super Hunter.:pac:
    http://www.wrestlingforum.com/raw/422867-orton-irrespressible.html
    Hey, this is an interview Orton did for UK Magazine, Powerslam. I decided to type it all out for you guys so sorry about spelling mistakes etc.

Orton The Irrepressible

Most WWE Wrestlers rarely give much away in interviews with the media. Randy Orton is the exception. Indeed, when the ‘Legend Killer’ participated in a round-table Q and A session at a press event in London on August 7, he was happy to reveal his dislike of HHH, why he KO’d Kenny Dykstra, and how it was easy for him to better his father’s achievements. Here, for the first time, is the unexpurgated transcript of that interview…

YOU BROKE YOUR collarbone when you were thrown out of the ring by Triple H at the One Night Stand pay-per-view on June 1, and have been sidelined ever since. How’s the recovery going?

The injury’s great, man. I got medically cleared last Thursday (July 31), so I’ll be back very soon. I think I’ll probably start something up at SummerSlam, but it’s not etched in stone. (Editor’s Note: This was before Orton re-injured his collarbone on August 10.) Injuries suck. Did you guys see it? I went for my finish and Triple H was supposed to toss me out to the left over the ropes. He had just used the stairs on the outside, so the stairs were upside down (at ringside). And he threw me out right where the stairs were. If I’d have landed on those, it would have cut me up. So as I’m going over (the ropes), I’m thinking, ‘Why is he throwing me this way?’ But I went with it. I saw the stairs, so I tried to move in mid-air (On my descent), my foot caught in the rope and I came crashing down. As soon as I landed, I knew I broke my collarbone. I’ll have a little knot there for the rest of my life sticking out. I don’t know if you can see it or not (Orton unbuttons his shirt to reveal a noticeable bump on his left collarbone.) It healed up pretty good. The doctor gave me this machine that I plug in and wear at night and it helps regenerate strong bone growth. It’s a bone stimulator. It’s pretty bad ass. I was supposed to be out for three months. I just did about seven weeks and he cleared me (to return to action), so it really sped up the recovery process.

John Cena recuperated remarkably quickly as well after he tore his pectoral muscle on October 1, 2007.

Yeah. He’s superhuman . . . But he’s all-natural – he’s a genetic freak. The week after the surgery, he was training, and you don’t do that: you could re-injure it. He came back quick. Crazy.

You were in the match with Edge against Triple H and Shawn Michaels at New Year’s Revolution on January 7, 2007 in which ‘The Game’ tore his quadriceps tendon. Do you have a contingency plan in place for when this sort of thing happens?

It’s funny you said that. I actually remember right after he tore his quad, there was a spot where he went for a Pedigree on Edge and I was supposed to come in and hit him in the back with a chair. So, he tore his quad. (HHH) is tough you know; he’s trying to still work (and finish the match). He gets into the position for a Pedigree, and I run in with a chair . . . I run in . . . and then I just turned around and ran out. It was really, really bad. I was, like, “F—k” I was just being a nice guy, even though it was the worst place to do it when (your heel character) is supposed to be a complete p---k. There was supposed to be a DQ and, so, Shawn just went right to the ref – bam! – hit the ref. (When someone’s injured during a match), some people scramble, like I did then, or if I’m over here and you’re over there, you just use the referee. Like I told Mike Choida, the ref when I broke my collarbone, I just said “Tell Triple H to hit me with the hammer.” Because that was the where we were eventually going (with the match) I couldn’t do anything else – I didn’t want to. There was no reason. When Cena tore his pec, he kept on going and going. I think I gave him one RKO in the ring, maybe threw him into the stairs, put him on a table and gave him another RKO on the table. And the whole time his chest was torn off the bone. Me, when I broke my collarbone, I was, like, “Hit me with the hammer (and go to the finish).” To me, there’s no sense in possibly (exacerbating an injury and being (Sidelined) longer because you stayed an extra minute. So, that’s what we do when someone is injured in a match: just kind of play it by ear.

Have you been keeping track of WWE story line developments during your absence?

Oh, definitely, yeah. Not SmackDown as much. I’ve caught a few episodes. The whole Edge marriage thing . . . I don’t know: I’m not into that. But I’ll watch the matches whenever I get a chance. I’ll watch some of the guys, like Umaga and Carlito, who are good friends of mine. Triple H not so much. But still, I like to watch what’s going on. I’m interested to see (HHH’s) match with The Great Khali at Summerslam.

Were you glad when Triple H was drafted to SmackDown?

I was at the Draft (on June 23rd) after I got hurt. I was in the locker room watching the backstage monitor. I was hoping to get traded from RAW to SmackDown. Actually, it’s funny because Umaga just got traded to SmackDown. He was, like, “Man, you know what? At least I haven’t got to be around Triple H no more.” So (Umaga) goes to Smackdown and I’m like, “Yeah . . . F—k you!” The last Draft pick’s Triple H and I’m like (punches the air), “Yes! Oh, my God! Yes, yes, yes!” I went right up to Umaga and I was like, “You’ve got to deal with it now!” it was my favourite Draft pick, to be honest with you. And we got Rey Mysterio, we got Kane, Batista. I’ve got history with all those guys.

Who are you most looking forward to working with when you return to action?

I’d like to go back and work with John Cena. When Cena got hurt in the ring last year, we had a couple more ideas of what we were going to do that we didn’t get to do. It would be nice to follow through with those, to be able to continue where we left off. (Orton’s mobile phone rings. He switches it off.) Sorry about that.

Were you surprised when C.M. Punk won the World title?

I knew they wouldn’t do anything with the Money In The Bank briefcase that didn’t have an impact because it’s such a big thing. It was just a matter of when and where he was going to use it. That was a great scenario because it protected Edge: Batista beat up Edge, he was already down, and C.M. Punk did a couple of things and the GTS and there you go. I’m sure everyone watching was, like, “Oh, my God.” For me, I just got into the business because of my Dad (Bob Orton Jr.), so it was very easy for me. A lot of guys had a harder time, Punk had to work his way through being criticised, and he had to change his style once he got to the WWE. He was the ECW Champion, right? And then he lost that, came to Raw and boom! He came from the bottom and went over the top. So I bought into that. He’s a smaller guy. I’m not the biggest guy at all, but at least I’ve got a little height on people. I’m taller than Batista. Even though he’s huge, it helps me out with the visual on-screen. But Punk: he doesn’t really have any size or height to him. When Kane came down to the ring during The Great American Bash on July 20 and C.M. Punk just clotheslined him over the top rope . . . it’s hard to believe that kind of s—t. But I guess the fans have taken a liking to him. I think it’s a little hard for him to wrestle Batista, who’s a bigger babyface. So, they’re making it hard on him too, which isn’t the best way to do things. When I first won the title, they were very hard on me. I was kind of a chickens—t champ: I ran away all the time. It’s not like a meeting-guys-head-on-type of mentality.

Are you given much advance warning when you’re going to win or lose titles?

You never really know. I didn’t know I was winning at WrestleMania XXIV until ‘Mania. (The text message voting said that.) eight percent of fans thought I was going to win. Backlash (on April 27 when Orton lost the WWE Title to Triple H in a Fatal Four Way) as a good match. We got rid of JBL and John Cena early, and me and Hunter got to do the stare-down and the start back up. I thought that was a really good match – I really liked that match. I had a good run. For the last year and a half, I was always on top. That’s where the money is, and that’s where you have the most fun: you get the most leniency with the office to do what you want because you’re in control.

You mentioned that your father opened doors for you in the wrestling business. What do you think of the other second and third generation wrestlers who have joined WWE, like Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase.

It’s weird because I was the only one for so long. Now, you’ve got DH Smith, Nattie Neidhart (Natalya), Carlito . . . Rhodes and DiBiase remind me of me five years ago big-time, especially Teddy. I think they have much more potential than I did. I think they’re further along than I was at that point in my career. I think they’ll do good – but they’ve got bigger shoes to fill. Their dads were way more popular than my dad ever was. It wasn’t that hard for me to surpass my dad and his status. Not taking anything away from him: he was one of the best heels in the business of that era. But Dusty Rhodes and The Million Dollar Man: it’s hard to fill those shoes.

When you captured the World title aged 24, at Summerslam 2004, you became the youngest ever holder of a major WWF/WWE Singles title. Do you think any of the newcomers will beat your record?

That’s a good question. I’m trying to think of the age of everybody. Cody and Teddy are young right? Kenny Dykstra (who’s 22) erm . . . I knocked him out in Australia, actually, one time. He was drinking and thought that he would f—k with me, and I warned him and I slapped him so hard in the temple, I knocked him out. I never liked him at all. And everyone always told him “You’re the next Randy Orton.” F—k that. Make your own name. What does that mean, anyway? I slapped the s—t out of Kenny Dykstra. And I don’t even know where he is right now. But age-wise, Cody’a 23. That’s a long way to go in a year. I got very lucky. I was wrestling Edge a lot back then. And I was over as a heel and getting a chance because I was wrestling Edge . . . They thought I was over, so they thought, ‘Let’s give this kid a run.’ Plus, Brock Lesnar had been the youngest champ and they didn’t like Lesnar (who had left the company in March 2004), so I had a lot of luck in getting the spot. I don’t know if the business is going to be ready for a Cody Rhodes as champ. I love him, I think he’s really great, he’s got his own little niche, but I don’t see him or Teddy being the heavyweight champion. I don’t know who else is of that age. D.H. Smith (who is 22)? I don’t know. Hopefully, no one because, to be honest, I don’t want anyone to break my record and I don’t think there’s any potential really right now for anyone to (do so), either.

What do you think of the British guys, like William Regal and Paul Burchill?

I get along with all of them. Me and Regal are really close. We have a lot of the same interests. He’s an evil motherf—ker. He’s got a sense of humour a lot of people don’t see unless he likes you. He’s always liked me. We got to work with each other in England (on the April 14, 2008 Raw) and he almost killed me. If you remember he dropped me on my head. Oh, my God. He felt so bad (about it afterwards). But he was really excited to work with me. He’d always told me how much he enjoyed my work because I was a little more old-school with my style. We rode together (between live events) for a little while. He likes reptiles a lot and so do I. There’s a couple of cities in the state where they have exotic animals, and we’d go hold cobras and vipers. We had lots of fun with that kind of stuff, so we always hook up when one of those places is in the area. It’s a lttile weird . . . but we get along.

Your dad acted as your manager in 2005. How did you find that arrangement?
    It was tough. I’d be wrestling Rey Mysterio, and (my father would cause me to lose) but then I would never get into it with him, I’d never get mad at him. Or he would try to do something, but trip me up instead and then Rey would beat me with the 619. It never really helped me. I think WWE Management thought that he was in better shape than he was. My dad couldn’t move like he used to, and I think when they signed him to a six-month contract, they didn’t realize that he couldn’t really go. And so he showed up at Summerslam 2005 and I felt bad for him. They gave him a hard time . . . in a good way; they didn’t disrespect him or anything. But it was fun for him to be back around the boys because that’s where he’s comfortable. He doesn’t have a lot of friends outside the business, it’s hard when you’ve been in the business so long: you think everyone’s trying to work you. He’s a truck driver now: 11 hours a day on the road, driving a big rig. He loves it.

When WWE was establishing your ‘Legend Killer’ gimmick, you had confrontations with Jake Roberts, Harley Race, Hulk Hogan and many others. Are there any highlights from that period which stand out?

Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts is definitely an odd cat. He would try and give me advice during the day, and you know Jake, right? He’d be like (does barely comprehensible growl.) “All right, kid, here’s what you’ve got to do right here.” He’d have boogers hanging out of his noise – he was very disgusting, I love him . . . I’m sorry Jake. Very Interesting. Working with Hulk Hogan (at Summerslam 2006) was pretty cool. He was so laid back, he was like “Yeah, brother we’re just going to slow down, take it easy. We don’t have to do anything.” But he was right: we didn’t. It works, he was really cool to work with. But I wish I would have won that match. I’ve got pictures of him and me when I was five. I’ve got one, on my wall autographed: “Train hard, kid. Hulk Hogan.” My dad and him were buddies with (Roddy) Piper, (Greg) Valentine, all these guys. So it was cool getting to wrestle all those guys. I got to spit in Harley’s face. He wouldn’t have let just anyone spit in his face. Him and my dad were tight, he always liked me, so he wanted to do something to help me out. The same with Jake ‘The Snake’. Who else? Mick (Foley) gave me a good start. Towards the end of 2003, I think it was the Raw before Christmas, I spit in his face. That was huge then for me to spit in Mick Foley’s face and kept walking away. That was huge. That’s the kind of s—t that veterans can do for guys that make the younger stars. That made me a huge star, it really did. So I was really lucky to work with those guys that took a liking to me or liked my dad, and because of that, helped me out. Without that, I wouldn’t be who I am right now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Orton really is a great interview. As for this...
    Injuries suck. Did you guys see it? I went for my finish and Triple H was supposed to toss me out to the left over the ropes. He had just used the stairs on the outside, so the stairs were upside down (at ringside). And he threw me out right where the stairs were. If I’d have landed on those, it would have cut me up. So as I’m going over (the ropes), I’m thinking, ‘Why is he throwing me this way?’ But I went with it. I saw the stairs, so I tried to move in mid-air (On my descent), my foot caught in the rope and I came crashing down. As soon as I landed, I knew I broke my collarbone. I’ll have a little knot there for the rest of my life sticking out.

When I saw this happen at the time I remarked how unsafe Triple H had been with Orton, and there were people coming on saying it was ridiculous to suggest Triple H was at fault. That I was having an unnecessary pop at Triple H etc.

Well here we have Orton saying this was the case. Enjoy the humble pie, folks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

When I saw this happen at the time I remarked how unsafe Triple H had been with Orton, and there were people coming on saying it was ridiculous to suggest Triple H was at fault. That I was having an unnecessary pop at Triple H etc.

Well here we have Orton saying this was the case. Enjoy the humble pie, folks. ;)

I wasnt involved in this when you said it MNG, but i would've agreed with you then.
    I seen it and thought it looked like there was a little malice towards orton.

But in saying that, its not like he has directly said it was hhh's fault, he just said he threw him the wrong way?

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

I wasn't involved in the initial disagreement either, but HHH (in my opinion) was not to blame. To me, Orton finds it easier to blame others for his own screw ups. I am by no means a major HHH fan, but you can't blame the guy for Orton catching his foot on the rope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

What does Orton mean he was thinking "why is he throwing me this way?"? HHH threw him in the same direction that Orton ran at him. He's hardly going to safely throw him in another direction. If Orton was that worried about the steps he shouldn't have ran towards them

Sounds like Orton really enjoys the leniency he gets :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Aboy the Orton. I like that cockyness he has. WWE need him back...Him and Edge are the future..Even though Edge is 34!!

• Advertisement

I'm no Triple H fan, but I can't agree with you. Triple H was near the center of the ring, there's no way would he have even been thinking of the stairs outside. Just one of those things that happens in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Interesting stuff alright, is he likely to get into trouble over stuff like this, either with WWE officially or from HHH himself personally when they see each other at PPV’s?
    He’s basically saying HHH is unsafe to work with and that a lot of the boys talk about him / don’t want to work with him, would have thought that sort of thing wouldn’t wash too well, even if he is a big star himself these days…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That reads like an interview some one would give if they had just left/been fired by a company. He doesnt seem to give a **** and is willing to dish the dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Orton's talked like that in other interviews too, although a lot of guys tend to reveal more when they're talking to British or other non-US media

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

He is a main event heel, guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

D-FENS wrote: »
    Interesting stuff alright, is he likely to get into trouble over stuff like this, either with WWE officially or from HHH himself personally when they see each other at PPV’s?
    He’s basically saying HHH is unsafe to work with and that a lot of the boys talk about him / don’t want to work with him, would have thought that sort of thing wouldn’t wash too well, even if he is a big star himself these days…

Orton has got a way a with a lot worse in the past so I don’t think he will be worried about any reprecussions in that interview. the stuff about Hunter is fair enough, I mean Hunter has buried him quite a bit over the years, so most understand his glee that Hunter is on a different show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He gave a great interview to The Sun there recently that I listened to a few days back. He ripped on quite a few names including Bob Holly and JBL if I recall correctly saying he didn't like their attitude.

He's probably one of the most honest interviews around. Batista has been pretty honest in interviews too.

rovert wrote: »
    He is a main event heel, guys.

Yep.

I have a feeling that he has permission to be as controversial as possible (by taking the interwebs views on Trips and then expanding on them).

I'm pretty sure that if he just went out and cut triple H down like that without warning he'd be doing.. well.. he'd be doing what Carlito is doing these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Well if that's the case fair enough, I know they like to cross the boundaries between reality and fiction as much as possible, but is playing on some people's suspicions about HHH not just as likely to make him out as a pr*ck as it is to strengthen Orton's heel status? Or do they care which effect it has?

Advertisement