Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Definitive answers?

• 01-09-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭

After reading through C&P for quiet some time the one thing that strikes me the most is that there is no such thing as a definitive answer. Every poster seems to have their own opinion or agenda and that always seems to distort the facts that they choose to protray. Is there such a thing in the construction industry as a definitive answer or are the people behind the answers blinded by whatever sales pitch worked on them

For example. If you ask anyone on boards "what is the best source of heat supply for a domestic dwelling?" you will inevitably get some very varied answers, all backed up with valid reasons. Now I know a heat source is as unique as the house, but surely there has to be one leading source that seems to lead out against the rest. It seems whoever you talk to they seem to favour one particular source and have a list a mile long of problems with every other.

I find that this isn't just evident with heat sources, but also with insulation techniques and providers, Timber construction v Concrete, Dormer v Storey and a half, Two storey v Bungalow etc etc. Is the construction itself built on foundations of opinions, or is there a structure of fact that can maybe offer us some 'Definitive Answers'?

P.S I'm sorry mods if you think this thread is too philosophical for the C&P forum but i'm just interested in reading others responses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Very interesting question.

I suppose people are different and so are their preferences and opinions.

I hope people post here with honest opinions. I don't think people are trying to confuse you or mislead you. Maybe its a case of differing opinions - "Doctors differ, patients die".

People contribute to this page voluntarily. I personally have nothing to gain by posting, yet I do freely to help, if I can. I inturn ask questions on other topics that I require advice.

Each house design is different, each design and budget is a factor.

I bet if you asked whats the best family car? or Which is better Plasma or LCD ? You'll get very varying opinions from lots of different people. Each contributor believing they are right.

Its very hard to be specific with individual posts, where you don't know the site history, design, budget or person.

At the end of the day its free advice. It up to you to decide for yourself what material to use / buy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

i might be able to give a definitive answer . Maybe . It depends :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I think the answer is there is no definitave answer for most construction problems. There is more than one way to skin a cat and though there may be no one right way there are more wrong ways of doing it than right ones. If there was only one variable for a situation then there would be no need to send people to collage to learn the different aspects of construction. all we would need is a haynes manual to cover everything.

We are not trying to be vague every solution is tailor made for a particular situation.
    It is what makes the job interesting and worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I want to buy a car, Whats the best car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seems like you and RKQ have both used my idea for a reply ;)

In response to the OP you will normally find that most people post here looking for advice and not necessarily hard facts. They seek advice, opinions and examples. We do get the odd spammer and shill here but leaving that aside everyone contributes voluntarily and offer their thoughts and opinions and advice and then leave it for the person to decide themselves. A lot of these issues are debated in full and none of the regulars have a hidden agenda.

Everyone who posts a reply to a query do so with the best of intentions based on their own experiences with a particular product or method. The same can be said in the examples quoted - ie. what is the best car?

if you post here and ask what size a standard concrete block is then you will get all replies the same. If you post here and ask what size you can extend your house by without having to get planning permission then every reply will be the same. But if you ask questions like the following: is timber framed better than concrete build? Is precast flooring better than timber flooring? Is rockwool insulation better than aeroboard? Is a 2 storey house cheaper to build and heat than a single storey? you will get a variety of replies as these issues are down to individual opinions.

Am I a good moderator or a real bastard?

Anyone answering yes to the latter will be banned :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Quick ... lock the thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Quick ... lock the thread :D

Ditto....;)

Whew! Just Made it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

if you post here and ask what size a standard concrete block is then you will get all replies the same

I quote Muffler above and have to disagree. Concrete blocks vary in dimensions from one manufacturer to another. This I presume has to do with shrinkage rate for stone from different quarry.
    That's just an opinion based on experience. For a definitive answer you may need scientific analysis. :o

if you post here and ask what size a standard concrete block is then you will get all replies the same

I quote Muffler above and have to disagree. Concrete blocks vary in dimensions from one manufacturer to another. This I presume has to do with shrinkage rate for stone from different quarry.
    That's just an opinion based on experience. For a definitive answer you may need scientific analysis. :o
    I would disagree based on the fact that the coefficient of linear expansion of varying stone type is negligible and also that some of the older manufacturers have imperial sized moulds with the new kids on the block (Jesus I just love the puns :D) going the metric route.

So if a user posted a query regarding a standard sized block we would have to analyse the response required (imperial or metric) and then reply accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Retro-Fit

Is there a definitive question?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

After reading through C&P for quiet some time the one thing that strikes me the most is that there is no such thing as a definitive answer.
    Its the nature of the business
    Every poster seems to have their own opinion or agenda and that always seems to distort the facts that they choose to portray.

I think this remark is quite disingenuous in respect of most of the regular contributors here. We don't have agendas and we don't distort. We all have a wide variety of experiences with the good the bad and the ugly of the C +P business which we are using to shape responses here. I think what separates the regular contributors out from the great unwashed is that we know what we don't know.:)

Is there such a thing in the construction industry as a definitive answer or are the people behind the answers blinded by whatever sales pitch worked on them.

As noted elsewhere, if u come up with a definitive question then we will come up with the definitive answer.
    For example. If you ask anyone on boards "what is the best source of heat supply for a domestic dwelling?" you will inevitably get some very varied answers, all backed up with valid reasons. Now I know a heat source is as unique as the house, but surely there has to be one leading source that seems to lead out against the rest. It seems whoever you talk to they seem to favour one particular source and have a list a mile long of problems with every other.

This issue is not unique to heating systems, it is a fact of life as we are all different.
    I find that this isn't just evident with heat sources, but also with insulation techniques and providers, Timber construction v Concrete, Dormer v Storey and a half, Two storey v Bungalow etc etc. Is the construction itself built on foundations of opinions, or is there a structure of fact that can maybe offer us some 'Definitive Answers'?

If you have a specific, well thought out requirement then a definitive answer is possible, but there is such variety in materials, standards of workmanship, client opinion of: visual appeal, efficiency, effectiveness, value for money, ease of maintenance, longevity, psychological feel good factors that it is a difficult process and given the costs involved, you really cant 'suck it and see'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

After reading through C&P for quiet some time the one thing that strikes me the most is that there is no such thing as a definitive answer. Every poster seems to have their own opinion or agenda and that always seems to distort the facts that they choose to protray.
    While I agree that they aren'y always definitive answers, I'd disagree with posters having their own agenda.
    While its true that a lot of posters come here to promote a product their business, they are a minority and are quickly dealt with. This normally means locking a potentially hazardous thread, if its later deamed legit it can be opened.
    Other regular posters will offer pros and cons on various options, but I am happy that this isn't an agenda, but rather tales of expierence. They have nothing to gain either way.
    muffler wrote: »
    Yes, definatly are,
    but the real question is to which one do I refer.
    . Concrete blocks vary in dimensions from one manufacturer to another
    I'd disagree,
    A standard concrete block is 440 x 215 x 102.5* mm, this is based on a 450 modulus. Any other sizes are non standard.
    *102.5 is often called 100mm, which is a rounding. 102.5 is exact to allow stacking with a 10mm joint to complete a 215 size.
    There is a set BS tolerance to expansion, as all materials will expand with temp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

some very interesting replies. It seems I was kind of misinterpreted in my OP. I think boards is an invaluable source of information and I think 99% of posters do so to try help the OP. I just find it very interesting that so many experts have such varying answers. It's clear to see from the posts of others that they really know their stuff and the fact there is so many honest debates here kind of answers my question for me. I know that every method of construction has it's pros and cons and therefore will always have it's supporters. I guess the only definitive answer is the one that suits the person who is going to live in the house!

Aren't we lucky we have such an open forum for discussion and therefore never actually truly believe we know it all. Viva la boards ;)

some very interesting replies. It seems I was kind of misinterpreted in my OP. I think boards is an invaluable source of information and I think 99% of posters do so to try help the OP. I just find it very interesting that so many experts have such varying answers. It's clear to see from the posts of others that they really know their stuff and the fact there is so many honest debates here kind of answers my question for me. I know that every method of construction has it's pros and cons and therefore will always have it's supporters. I guess the only definitive answer is the one that suits the person who is going to live in the house!

Aren't we lucky we have such an open forum for discussion and therefore never actually truly believe we know it all. Viva la boards ;)
    Im sure everyone here including myself appreciate the comments. :)

I forgot to say before that it can be a bit frustrating at times when having asked a question the thread rambles off on a tangent about associated matters and you are still left without a proper reply. Its a bit like getting an answer from a politician - everything under the sun is answered except the original question.

Believe me its just as frustrating trying to moderate this as we cant stifle debate but we dont want to see the thread going arseways either. Mostly we allow all opinions and while some of the comments may seem to be only semi-relevant to the original post others will find answers to their problems or queries contained within those semi-relevant posts.

Mellor wrote: »
    Yes, definatly are,
    but the real question is to which one do I refer.
    Give that man a pint.

Yes was the answer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote: »

Anyone answering yes to the latter will be banned :D
    Total bastard. :D

Try banning me then. :p

On topic.

OP, That's the beauty of the work we're involved in, generally there is no definitive answer. Take the planners for example. One planner in a county will grant something that another in the same county wouldn't.

smashey wrote: »
    Total bastard. :D

Try banning me then. :p
    Oh how I have tried. Nothing seems to work :D

Advertisement