Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berbatov to whoever thread

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

allybhoy wrote: »
    Well thats fairly obvious, seeing as though he wouldnt even meet with them, but just because a player doesnt want to go somewhere doesnt mean he cant be sold to them.

I stopped taking you seriously then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So your telling me never in the history of football has any player been sold to a club against his will?

Because he had every chance of staying at utd and getting some starts at OT, he started the Newcastle game and looked lively and was the 3rd choice striker behind Rooney and Tevez until yesterday.

3rd choice behind Rooney and Tevez til yesterday, yeah. Then Berbatov arrived and soon Manucho and Ronaldo will be back, along with Nani coming back into the squad. Might have got a few minutes here and there, more likely to get some at spurs.

I'm sure there are a few players who have ended up at clubs they didn't want to play for, but the fact is Spurs could not force Berbatov to sign for City, they simply couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You can't sign a contract against your will, if you did, then the contract is null and void, and the player would be a free agent. This is why when signing a contract there has to be a third party of good standing to witness that the signee was not under duress.

But, cmon, whats this legal mambo jambo doing in soccer, the demons made him sign, and he will be crying like a baby every time they show him the Man City kit he has to wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So your telling me never in the history of football has any player been sold to a club against his will?

Because he had every chance of staying at utd and getting some starts at OT, he started the Newcastle game and looked lively and was the 3rd choice striker behind Rooney and Tevez until yesterday.

He had no chance of getting a game except in the Carling Cup. It's Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, and soon Manucho. If it's a choice between Berbatov and Campbell, methinks it will always be Berbatov. If we were not getting Berbatov then we'd have kept Campbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

kida wrote: »
    I stopped taking you seriously then.

?? Why's that? You think Robinho wanted to go to City and not Chelsea?

Arent you the fella that thought if utd couldnt get Berbatov then Mido would be a suitable replacement??

• Advertisement

Arent you the fella that thought if utd couldnt get Berbatov then Mido would be a suitable replacement??

Robinho wanted to go to Chelsea, but more importantly he wanted out of Real - when he was offered the money at City he accepted it gladly. He was not against signing for City, as Berbatov apparently was. So it is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Robinho went where he would be paid the most money (and not have to worry about Fwanky being the automatic top earner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

astrofool wrote: »
    Robinho went where he would be paid the most money (and not have to worry about Fwanky being the automatic top earner).

You dont know that in fairness. Nobody knows what happened behind closed doors at Madrid, he did appear to just want to leave the club and had his heart set on Chelsea, the Chelsea deal fell through and he felt like he had no option but to leave. And in fairness I cant blame him because it wouldnt have been much fun sitting on the bench for a season whilst the fans hate your guts. Imagine if Spurs didnt have to accept Berbatov's bid and didnt want to sell him to Utd, he would either be faced with a season on the bench or the City offer.

We know all that... are you trying to make a point with these posts and if so what is it in a nutshell? It feels (to me) as though you are just posting for the sake of it now! No offense meant, I just don't know what you're getting at anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

He didn't not want to go - his preferred option was Chelsea

Show me one player who signed for a club against his will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What a great deadline day. Fair play to Man City for getting Utd all in a sweat, to the extent that Ferguson has to go pick up Berbatov at the airport!! Hilarious to watch and read. It was great fun with the Utd fans backtracking and doing U-Turns over Berbatov. Yesterday morning, they were fine with him coming. suddenly City become the richer club in Manchester and put their bid in for him and by mid afternoon the Utd fans suddenly don't want Berbatov! "He's too expensive, we should walk away....etc" Midnight passes and it's backtrack time again. "Great signing........we'll win the double again......don't care how much we paid, we've got our man.
    Brilliant!

monkey9 wrote: »
    What a great deadline day. Fair play to Man City for getting Utd all in a sweat, to the extent that Ferguson has to go pick up Berbatov at the airport!! Hilarious to watch and read. It was great fun with the Utd fans backtracking and doing U-Turns over Berbatov. Yesterday morning, they were fine with him coming. suddenly City become the richer club in Manchester and put their bid in for him and by mid afternoon the Utd fans suddenly don't want Berbatov! "He's too expensive, we should walk away....etc" Midnight passes and it's backtrack time again. "Great signing........we'll win the double again......don't care how much we paid, we've got our man.
    Brilliant!
    Almost as brilliant as it will be to see Liverpool fans' tears of jubilation at signing Keane turn to tears of despair as they're looking up at Man City by the end of the season! :D I'm sure it'll have been worth it though, for United to have to pay an extra £5m for their man :D That £5m could have been useful for defending the PL and CL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

monkey9 wrote: »
    Brilliant!

You realise different fans said that? You hear about these Irish people? Some of them hate United yet some of them love united. Hypocrites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dave! wrote: »
    Almost as brilliant as it will be to see Liverpool fans' tears of jubilation at signing Keane turn to tears of despair as they're looking up at Man City by the end of the season! :D I'm sure it'll have been worth it though, for United to have to pay an extra £5m for their man :D That £5m could have been useful for defending the PL and CL!
    If it happened that you lost Berbatov for the rest of the season in your next match, it would leave the club in real trouble with Campbell now at Spurs for the season. You still only have the same amount of forwards that you had this time yesterday. Yet none of you seemed worried about that anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

The reason Man U get away with this tapping up lark time and time again is because the F.A. havent got what it takes to do anything about it. Football is turning into an ugly game full of greedy little clubs who bend over to the big greedy clubs and accept "hush hush" payments to drop tapping up claims. Liverpool are no better (see Robbie Keane). Until the F.A. introduce a system to keep an eye on the situation it will continue. But why would they really want to? The premiership is the worlds biggest league and why rock the boat. It's a disservice to the fans of clubs like Spurs,West Ham,Everton who are just steamrolled by the big boys everytime they come sniffing for one of there best. This will continue in the "worlds best league" and there will never be a level playing field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Dave! wrote: »

As much as his post deserved a response like above, it is very possible that United will only be a year behind Liverpool in being superseeded.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If it happened that you lost Berbatov for the rest of the season in your next match, it would leave the club in real trouble with Campbell now at Spurs for the season. You still only have the same amount of forwards that you had this time yesterday. Yet none of you seemed worried about that anymore.

because it wasn't a numbers issue - it was a quality issue, and yeah if Berbatov was to injured we'd be screwed but same story with Liverpool if Torres gets injured; you can't have so many players that someone getting injured doesn't effect you. Unless you are Chelsea (or City...)

As much as his post deserved a response like above, it is very possible that United will only be a year behind Liverpool in being superseeded.

possibly - chelsea and arsenal could get done at the same time too - who knows, i can see the debt at United bringing us crashing down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

but it will be 18 titles by then, so meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

eagle eye wrote: »

Smartest post here. But none of this talking sense stuff here its delusions all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thats not a smart point, Utd now have 3 x 30million pound strikers?!?!??!

of course its bad news if one gets injured, but it still leaves em with 2, any 2 of which are more than capable of working with eachother.

so Liverpool have 2 class strikers in Keane and Torres, Arsenal have 2 with Ade/Van Persie and Chelsea have 2 with Drogba and Anelka, Utd have 3.

Utd fans are right to be happy, they have the strongest strike force on the league on paper and in terms of the number of world class players available. If one gets injured, of course its bad news, they are not even nearly in trouble though, in fact they are better equiped to deal with an injury to a striker than any of the other top 4

none of the three are in the same league as Torres though

Mr Alan wrote: »

none of the three are in the same league as Torres though

hardly "out of his league".............anyway.......

Ronaldo > Torres!! :pac:

slingerz wrote: »
    Smartest post here. But none of this talking sense stuff here its delusions all the way

how is it that smart though?

If Rio and Vidic got injured we'd be in trouble too - If Ronaldo was to be out for the season we'd be in trouble; as it is United have 3 top strikers in Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov, with Manucho and Welbeck as squad strikers, along with Ronaldo and Giggs able to play up front too. Seriously, who would you prefer to swap in for Tevez or Rooney - Berbatov or Campbell? As for Campbell in comparison to the other players left to take the 4th striekrs role... Welbeck has more potential than him, Manucho could be better than him and Ronaldo has a pretty good strike rate.

Berbatov for Campbell, i'm happy with that swap and as long as we don't pick up a horrid injury we'll be ok.

Could Liverpool manage without Torres for the season? Not to well, but they're happy with getting Keane in. Chelsea will be hoping to get Drogba back quickly and keep him in the team and fit. Arsenal will be hoping Adebayor doesn't get a horrible injury. Every team has to hope their squad numbers will do for them in terms of depth and quality.

Of course i'd love another top quality striker in the united squad, but i don't think the squad could take it. 3 top strikers, 2 with potential and two experienced players that can play up font is a good balance

hardly "out of his league".............anyway.......

Ronaldo > Torres!! :pac:

Ohhh, I smell a poll....... who is dreamier? Ronaldo or Torres?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Is Rooney really a top class striker? He has disappointed me for a few seasons.

AARRRGH wrote: »

Fine, top class forward, 18 goals last season isn't terrible though. I'm glad we've signed another striker though. Hopefully with a player for him to actually play off/with we will see more from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

slingerz wrote: »
    Sid that yesterday/this morning whatver but at the end of the day I'd prefer to be in the situation with Berbatov instead of Campbell because before if Rooney/Tevez got injured we'd be looking at Campbell to try and fill their boots and inevitably failing in trying to do so but now if one gets injured there's still two top class ones available. It's not 4 like in '99 but sure Ronaldo when he's fit is more than capable of playing a forward's role and we have plenty of cover in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Tauren wrote: »
    Ohhh, I smell a poll....... who is dreamier? Ronaldo or Torres?:D

that's not even fair.

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    that's not even fair.
    i reckon Mr. Alan is scanning in his Torres picks as we speak!

No. But thats cos he's not a striker, thats the English media being clowns again.

This whole "Rooneys best position" debate seems to be mainly fuelled by the English media who are disgruntled that he doesnt bang em in for Engerland. I think the English media are very naive when it comes to both Rooney and Steven Gerrard in that they cant seem to get it into their head that theyre not an out and out striker and central midfielder respectively.

I think they both are at their best slightly ahead of the midfiel and behind the striker(s) in "the pocket" or "the hole". They are, for me, very similar. Problem is the media seems to view Rooney as a goal poacher who is being played out of position which is frankly, bullsh1t. And same goes for Gerrard, he doesnt have the positional play to be a central midfielder in a 2 man pairing which will control a game. Simple reason Rooney doesnt do it for Engerland is that he doesnt have anyone decent to play off/interchange with which he now has in equal measures at United. Engerlands lack of a great goal poacher to profit from his great link up play is not his fault. Stupid media!! /rant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ber-Ba-Tov-tov-tov
    He told City to **** off,
    Berbatov-tov-tov,
    He showed Spurs he was the boss,
    30 Mil? We dont mind,
    Now he's wearing No.9,
    Berbatov-tov-tov, HE TOLD CITY TO **** OFF!

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ber-Ba-Tov-tov-tov
    Berbatov-tov-tov,
    30 Mil? We dont mind,
    Now he's wearing No.9,

only problem with that is its the same tune Spurs used for their Berba song. We';re better than that!!

I liked "STOP!!! Berba time" every time he touches the ball!! :pac::pac::pac:

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ber-Ba-Tov-tov-tov
    Berbatov-tov-tov,
    30 Mil? We dont mind,
    Now he's wearing No.9,
    :D

I liked "STOP!!! Berba time" every time he touches the ball!! :pac::pac::pac:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gill just said on the radio yesterday that United arranged for Berbatov's plane to Manchester.

Don't know if this is old news or not but we had him signed before 11 o'clock on deadline night, he's registered for the Champion's League and the deadline for that was 11 o'clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

PHB wrote: »
    Gill just said on the radio yesterday that United arranged for Berbatov's plane to Manchester.

Hmm, I wonder if they'd do the same for me? I wouldn't mind catching a match, but it's a bit of a trek from here.

Advertisement