Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berbatov to whoever thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

eZe^ wrote: »
    Refusing to play is unprofessional

That was never confirmed by any reliable source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Although I think Berbatov's action were shi*ty aswell, he's an unprofessional git to be honest. 37 million euro for a player who will sulk every now and then if he isn't getting his way. You'd swear he was Zizou and was stuck at Swindon Town with his actions. Fair enough if you want to play for a bigger club, but go about it in a professional way you t*sser, refusing to play is unprofessional and well.... Sh*t. Should be an interesting season ahead anyway!

Don't remember hearing he refused to play. :confused:
    Ramos didn't play him saying he wasn't in the right frame of mind and blamed their poor start to the season on him. Immediately after that Woodgate said "What because we've lost a couple of games it's Berba's fault? No, that's a load of bull. We've lost the two games because we haven't played well. It's got nothing to do with him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Are you for real? Real just ousted a money hungering Brazilian from the team for 42 million euro. They were having problems with Robinho before the Ronaldo saga because he was demanding three times his current wages, with Real only offering twice that amount. When they refused to let him go to Chelsea, he threw a hissy fit, calling his own private press conference. In the end Real sold him for MORE than they were asking from Chelsea. Real are laughing all the way to the bank mate.

It was an excellent piece of business for both sides. Now City have one of the most balanced and strong first XI's in the EPL, and Real have pocketed cash that they will inevitably spend on Villa/ Huntelaar/ C. Ronaldo.

Real can never be seen as a selling club. It's a massive loss of face. United were having problems with Ronaldo but he's still there.

Oh God, why am I arguing with someone who uses the term EPL?

Real can never be seen as a selling club. It's a massive loss of face. United were having problems with Ronaldo but he's still there.

Exactly. Furthermore, I'd rather have the players rather than money in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

most players are unprofessional about moves to big clubs. Its fiar enough they hear utd or chelsea want them and they move but it happens at every club big teams like sunderland and brum make moves for players and suddenly that player has always dreamed of a move to that club so u cant realy blame berb for wanting to move to utd. I think utd went about there business to best help them and thats what every club does. Saying utd went about it the wrong way is ok but lets face it every club does. thats just football.

and yes i did refer to brum as a big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

"he wasn't in the right frame of mind."

I wouldn't blame their defeats on him. But not in the right frame of mind is the biggest cop out ever, if you want to join a big club, go out and prove it in your last games at the club that your a professional who will give your all for the team. Berbatov has a history of being a sulky moody c*nt for Spurs on occasion, despite all his immense talents and forte's, professionalism is doesn't seem to be his strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Huh? What's wrong with calling it that?

I wouldn't blame their defeats on him. But not in the right frame of mind is the biggest cop out ever, if you want to join a big club, go out and prove it in your last games at the club that your a professional who will give your all for the team. Berbatov has a history of being a sulky moody c*nt for Spurs on occasion, despite all his immense talents and forte's, professionalism is doesn't seem to be his strong point.

Not what his manager said but maybe you know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

PHB wrote: »
    IMO he should have left last year.

Stay for a year at Spurs!? Then you'd have to question his loyalty!

• Advertisement

Loss of face? Again, stop talking sh*t, if you knew the situation you'd understand. You are aware that 83% of Madrid fans went from wanting to keep Robinho, to 83% wanting to ship him off as quickly as possibly within a week. If Madrid KEPT him it would have been bad for their team situation from a team unity perspective. Madrid for the past two seasons have been parading the fact that they have a unified team spirit in Barca's face. They have also quoted by saying 'they would never keep a player against his will'.

They would have let Chelsea buy Robinho if Chelsea met the valuation that they set on him. Instead they got a BETTER offer than they were ever expecting from a team that are not a direct rival. They offloaded an unhappy, money hungering child, who was so desperate to leave the club he accepted an offer from a city he has never even visited. Madrid have definitely come off the best in this situation. Calderon with an excellent piece of business.

Why are you arguing with someone who calls it the EPL? Why am I arguing with an idiot who seems to know NOTHING about the situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

img_10_25239_1096.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=480&hei=179&rgn=0.05158730158730159,0.11838006230529595,0.9523809523809524,0.5576323987538941&cvt=jpeg

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Exactly. Furthermore, I'd rather have the players rather than money in the bank.

Keep a player who has told the manager and president that he will fly back to Brazil and never play for the team again, or pocket 42 million euro? Almost twice what Real paid for him when he was seen as the most talented youngster in world football. It's not rocket science is it...

Keep a player who has told the manager and president that he will fly back to Brazil and never play for the team again, or pocket 42 million euro? Almost twice what Real paid for him when he was seen as the most talented youngster in world football. It's not rocket science is it...

Must make you wonder though why Real couldn't hold on to their best player last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Disappointed in Spurs being a bit soft here. United were still 1.25 million short of our asking price.

Must make you wonder though why Real couldn't hold on to their best player last season.

Because he became a spoilt brat. Sure Madrids antics with using him as a bargaining chip for C. Ronaldo were sh*tty, but Robinho problems existed before that, when he was trying to snap up as much money as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Are you for real? Real just ousted a money hungering Brazilian from the team for 42 million euro. They were having problems with Robinho before the Ronaldo saga because he was demanding three times his current wages, with Real only offering twice that amount. When they refused to let him go to Chelsea, he threw a hissy fit, calling his own private press conference. In the end Real sold him for MORE than they were asking from Chelsea. Real are laughing all the way to the bank mate.

It was an excellent piece of business for both sides. Now City have one of the most balanced and strong first XI's in the EPL, and Real have pocketed cash that they will inevitably spend on Villa/ Huntelaar/ C. Ronaldo.
    Sounds like loser talk to me.
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

That was the managers reason for not playing him, not Berbatov's reason for not playing.
    But then, as other said, Ramos also said he was handling himself professionally.
    In either case, him not playing the last few matches with the club was the decision of the manger, not his refusal as you tried to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

see what i question is can a club hold on to a player these days??

berb wanted to go he got hs way so did robinho u dont have a choice as what will you do keep a player who will be underpeforming for you. Ronaldo will be poor for utd this year cause he does not want to be there. I support coventry and Mifsud has already shown his lack of enthusiasum this year cause he wanted to move at every level it affects a player so why keep someone spurs and madrid have made smart moves today. berb wil love utd robinho will be sulky at city if it was too smal a cub for anelka its too small for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Loss of face? Again, stop talking sh*t, if you knew the situation you'd understand. You are aware that 83% of Madrid fans went from wanting to keep Robinho, to 83% wanting to ship him off as quickly as possibly within a week. If Madrid KEPT him it would have been bad for their team situation from a team unity perspective. Madrid for the past two seasons have been parading the fact that they have a unified team spirit in Barca's face. They have also quoted by saying 'they would never keep a player against his will'.
    Souds like 83% of Realfans are fickle.

niallk wrote: »
    Sounds like loser talk to me.
    :cool:

Well, at the end of the day I don't really give a toss, because yesterday I knew that either way, Real Madrid wouldn't be enlisting the services of 100% Robinho next season. Whether he was going to transfer, or play and be the most unhappy player on the planet. Either way, any leeway those Madridista putas give Barca this year makes me a happier, as we'll need as much of it as possible considering our title push last year.

Footballs a fickle sport. Lets see how long it takes Utd fans to forgive Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

Statistics can be used to prove anything. 90% of people know that.

Footballs a fickle sport. Lets see how long it takes Utd fans to forgive Ronaldo.

Still burns does it? :D

Still burns does it? :D

You actually think I'm a Madridista... Hahahahahahah.

You actually think I'm a Madridista... Hahahahahahah.

Wasn't the first thing that came to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They offloaded an unhappy, money hungering child, who was so desperate to leave the club he accepted an offer from a city he has never even visited. Madrid have definitely come off the best in this situation. Calderon with an excellent piece of business.
    So what do you call Berbatov then? And have Spurs done excellent business as well?

eagle eye wrote: »
    So what do you call Berbatov then? And have Spurs done excellent business as well?

Of course spurs have done excellent business! Again, it's the same situation, it's good for both clubs involved. Symbiosis.

Of course spurs have done excellent business! Again, it's the same situation, it's good for both clubs involved. Symbiosis.
    And what do you call Berbatov, the guy who kicked and screamed and ranted and caused uproar to get his transfer very similarly to Robinho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good signing for United and exactly what was required. We had you worried though didn't we?! :D

FWIW I don't honestly believe we were ever going to sign him, it was merely a PR gig to signal our intent for the future. Quite happy with our bit of business though!

And what do you call Berbatov, the guy who kicked and screamed and ranted and caused uproar to get his transfer?

Well, I do think Berbatov conducted himself better than Robinho. Robinho called a private press conference when his team was playing their opening game of the season. The thing with Berbatov is, I can understand his motives for wanting to play in the big time. It's fair enough. I just feel he should have went about it a little differently at times, at times the transfer seemed a little unprofessional, but as people will say, what big transfers aren't in todays market. That's where Robinho and Berbatov differ. Berbatov wasn't looking solely for a big money move, Robinho was.

They would have let Chelsea buy Robinho if Chelsea met the valuation that they set on him. Instead they got a BETTER offer than they were ever expecting from a team that are not a direct rival. They offloaded an unhappy, money hungering child, who was so desperate to leave the club he accepted an offer from a city he has never even visited. Madrid have definitely come off the best in this situation. Calderon with an excellent piece of business.

Why are you arguing with someone who calls it the EPL? Why am I arguing with an idiot who seems to know NOTHING about the situation?

Of course I'm aware of that. Surely everyone reads daily polls on what Real Madrid fans think? No?

(Read my sig).

Real tried to buy Ronaldo and couldn't. Robinho wanted to leave and did.

Loss of face.

And maybe you should read Calderon's statement before you spout any more sh1te.

• Advertisement

What is the point in arguing with someone who thinks that facts are meaningless. If I knew that a few minutes ago I could have saved my breath. Whatever, believe what you want to believe... Clueless.

Well, I do think Berbatov conducted himself better than Robinho. Robinho called a private press conference when his team was playing their opening game of the season. The thing with Berbatov is, I can understand his motives for wanting to play in the big time. It's fair enough. I just feel he should have went about it a little differently at times, at times the transfer seemed a little unprofessional, but as people will say, what big transfers aren't in todays market. That's where Robinho and Berbatov differ. Berbatov wasn't looking solely for a big money move, Robinho was.
    You could also say though that Robinho was looking at this long term both financially and success wise.
    I don't think there is much difference here at all, one happened a lot quicker than the other but Robinho has been at Real a couple of years now and there was nothing like this from him, it came out of the blue. He was the best player for Real Madrid last year. There was something else wrong there or he would not be acting that way.

What is the point in arguing with someone who thinks that facts are meaningless. If I knew that a few minutes ago I could have saved my breath. Whatever, believe what you want to believe... Clueless.

I see irony is lost on you.

You could also say though that Robinho was looking at this long term both financially and success wise.
    I don't think there is much difference here at all, one happened a lot quicker than the other but Robinho has been at Real a couple of years now and there was nothing like this from him, it came out of the blue. He was the best player for Real Madrid last year. There was something else wrong there or he would not be acting that way.

Come on man, sucess wise? He won back to back Liga titles... Financial wise? Madrid were only willing to pay him double his current contract wages (can't remember the exact figure, but I think he was on 2.8 million before tax). This is when he started to get a little greedy, he was demaning triple his current wages from the club. He used the whole 'I want to be the best player in the world, that's why I must leave to go to Chelsea' as a facade tbh. Look at it this way, if you wanted to become the best player in the world, would you play for a team in a city you've never visited, that aren't in the CL, that won't challenge for a league title immediately and who you heard are offering you a contract 6 hours before the window closes.

Madrid were trying to eradicate the Galactico mentality from the team. Robinho seemed to be taking a leaf out of Brazils current money grabbing trend.

Come on man, sucess wise? He won back to back Liga titles... Financial wise? Madrid were only willing to pay him double his current contract wages (can't remember the exact figure, but I think he was on 2.8 million before tax). This is when he started to get a little greedy, he was demaning triple his current wages from the club. He used the whole 'I want to be the best player in the world, that's why I must leave to go to Chelsea' as a facade tbh. Look at it this way, if you wanted to become the best player in the world, would you play for a team in a city you've never visited, that aren't in the CL, that won't challenge for a league title immediately and who you heard are offering you a contract 6 hours before the window closes.

Madrid were trying to eradicate the Galactico mentality from the team. Robinho seemed to be taking a leaf out of Brazils current money grabbing trend.
    You give all the Robinho arguments yet again. He spent three years with Real Madrid and then demanded a transfer suddenly. I am not saying its not about money, I was just saying that you could take that line.
    But Berbatov is just the same imo. He only spent a year at spurs, and he did well in that year, but then comes out and acts with a total lack of respect as if they had treated him badly or something. I have no more respect for his attitude than Robinho's.
    I am not favouring one over the other by the way, I just think they are both prima donnas and neither would get respect as a person from me. Footballing wise is a totally different thing. I rate both players very highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

This all confirms, as if confirmation was needed, that soccer is sh1te.

Gone are the days when a player would commit to a team for a while. Try to work with the team towards improvement. It is just a big f*cking soap opera.

1. I hope that Man U get a huge fine and points penalty for tapping up to f*ck.

2. I never wish injury upon a player so I hope that Berbatov fails to settle and it turns out to be a fantastic waste of money.

It's just a f*cking joke to see fools on the stands cheering like their life depended on it. Damn fools. If Payvluchenkyo does well for Spurs this season he will be robbed from us as well once commission orientated agents get a smell of the scent. What is the point really? My interest in soccer is steadily becoming a passing interest, and anyone who retains an interest beyond that is of stunted mental development.

Look at GAA, where players play for their county apart from the few that go to Aussie Rules. Look at Irish Rugby. How many homegrown players switch between provinces or transfer. Some but not many.

By signing Ronaldo.

By signing Ronaldo.

I said trying. They will always have that certain Galactico factor in their team. Always.

I said trying. They will always have that certain Galactico factor in their team. Always.

WTF are you talking about?

They're trying to eliminate the Galactico element from the team so they waste half the summer trying to sign the ultimate pin up boy?

And engage in an endless media campaign to highlight their quest for the ultimate Galactico?

And totally fcuk it up having unsettled most of the squad.

And say Robinho isn't leaving.

And lose him to Manchester City? Man City ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Delighted to see Berbatov at Utd...

He'll slot in beautifully and with the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes and Tevez feeding you - i think it's fair to say he'll enjoy his football more at Old Trafford :pac:

Robinho is a gamble. He's had a couple of good seasons for Brazil (in copa america) and Madrid but coming to the EPL is a different ball game.

You have to question his state of mind by signing for Man City... personally, i think City just fired in a few bids to make it look like the new owners meant business.. i don't actually think they believed they could get anyone Chelsea or Utd were after :D

By signing for City, he's now put himself under serious pressure to be top dog and live up to all the hype. At least with Chelsea he'd be 'just another' big name and would have more time to settle in.

smemon wrote: »

He'll slot in beautifully and with the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes and Tevez feeding you - i think it's fair to say he'll enjoy his football more at Old Trafford :pac:

Robinho is a gamble. He's had a couple of good seasons for Brazil (in copa america) and Madrid but coming to the EPL is a different ball game.

You have to question his state of mind by signing for Man City... personally, i think City just fired in a few bids to make it look like the new owners meant business.. i don't actually think they believed they could get anyone Chelsea or Utd were after :D

By signing for City, he's now put himself under serious pressure to be top dog and live up to all the hype. At least with Chelsea he'd be 'just another' big name and would have more time to settle in.

But are you actually delighted? Do you feel "delight"? Do you not recognise it as yet another nail in the coffin of top level soccer? Where big money talks. A game that I loved as a child is no longer worth a damn. Yet you'll all continue discussing soccer and transfers like it matters. I will consider whether my toaster takes exactly twice as long to toast bread to level 4 as it does to level 2 to be of more importance.

I do really love football, but this is not the game that Lineker, Beardsley, Dalglish and Gascoigne played.

Dave! wrote: »
    img_10_25239_1096.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=480&hei=179&rgn=0.05158730158730159,0.11838006230529595,0.9523809523809524,0.5576323987538941&cvt=jpeg

May your career meet with every imaginable snag, fault and failure until you are 33 and then you can f*ck to MLS. Bye now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Jigsaw wrote: »
    May your career meet with every imaginable snag, fault and failure until you are 33 and then you can f*ck to MLS. Bye now.
    Not very nice, Bye now

CHD wrote: »
    Not very nice, Bye now

Please understand the frustration of seeing players using your team as a convenient entry route towards something else. Why not stay with a club, watch it strengthen and make it something bigger? If that way of thinking is lost then soccer is very badly lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Please understand the frustration of seeing players using your team as a convenient entry route towards something else. Why not stay with a club, watch it strengthen and make it something bigger? If that way of thinking is lost then soccer is very badly lost.

Lol..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

But are you actually delighted? Do you feel "delight"? Do you not recognise it as yet another nail in the coffin of top level soccer? Where big money talks. A game that I loved as a child is no longer worth a damn. Yet you'll all continue discussing soccer and transfers like it matters. I will consider whether my toaster takes exactly twice as long to toast bread to level 4 as it does to level 2 to be of more importance.

I do really love football, but this is not the game that Lineker, Beardsley, Dalglish and Gascoigne played.

Bleh bleh bleh, move on with your life and stop pestering others. Somehow I'm guessing that if the shoe was on the other foot that you wouldn't be posting this drama queen stuff...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For Man City it's a fantastic deal. For Robinho it's strange and contradicts everything he's said leaving you with the only logical assumption that it's about money.
    Until I hear otherwise I'll go with that assumption.

I don't agree at all. At Man City, Robinho will get playing time each week, which he probably wouldn't at Chelsea or Real and will be the big man on campus (compared to SWP at least!). Realistically the only way to become a great player is to be playing all the time.

So, who's taking bets on which of Berbatov and Robinho scores the most goals this season? His new club being Man City, I hope the wee Brazilian escapes a season-long injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

PHB wrote: »
    Spurs dropping the complaint doesn't mean guilt. Their complaint had no basis in reality once they sold him to us. Also we didn't contribute to charity ala Liverpool.
    United always staunchly denied it, Spurs were asked for more info which was not forthcoming, imo United didn't actually do anything wrong this season with Berbatov [unlike past events :)]

If they had done nothing wrong, why then ask for the complaint to be dropped?

The only difference between this and the Real saga is that Real didn't get their man.

Bigger clubs operating outside the rules with impunity is another of the things killing club football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

smemon wrote: »

I bet he's another Saha, remember him? The jumping for joy when he was tapped. The few months of promise and the decline to mediocrity. I hope they get what they deserve out of him, but I doubt they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Originally Posted by KevIRL
    Frazier Campbell wont be allowed play against United as part of the deal

Skud wrote: »
    that can only work in a loan deal... nobody knows the fee/deal terms

Looks like I was right on that one then....

• Advertisement
Advertisement