Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Microphone to use Live

Options
  • 01-09-2008 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey All,

Oatsey here looking to invest in a new microphone for live gigs & band rehearsals etc. I’m looking for recommendations or warnings, in what would be the best microphone to buy. Price Range ≈ €200

Plus are there any special exercises I can try out to show me how good or bad a microphone is? For example feedback & doing scales from head voice to chest voice etc.

Ps I have a Baritone vocal range & sing mostly Indie/Punk/ Rock songs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

sometihng dynamic with a high spl and a cardiod type pattern shud do for live

check the frequency chart of the mic if u want see what frequencies its good for, but genreally any mic used for vocals will do the trick

you could just get the good ole reliable sm58 or for a little extra the beta 58a is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 oatsey

Cheers man ill check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭subzero12

an audix om7 is a decent mic and worth a look too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 oatsey

Been reading some great reviews about the Audix OM7

Best quality: very little feedback,
    Worst quality: you have to kiss the microphone all the time (shouldn’t really be a problem for me)

I’m also looking at reviews for the following microphones at the moment, so if anyone has any information on them id really appreciate it (bad or good experiences)

SM58, Beta58a, Sennheiser e945, EV 767

Cheers Oatsey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

http://www.sweetwater.com prob has info on everything u want

if it was my choice id pick the 58a :) ...i think ive one of those audix ones downstairs ^^^, never used it but my friend did for vocals, its aok too, i think the 58a is 160eu or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Beta 58A is an acquired taste, personally I've grown to hate the damn things.

Beta 57A I like, SM58 'will do', Beta 87 if you can afford the leap. Alternatively I'm liking the Sennheiser E900 series stuff lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

Yor best bet is to stick with the SM58 as every engineer in the country works with them, and are therefore used to the tone. Also, when you speak up close (less than 6mm) to a 58, it boosts the bass, so with a bit of practice, you can use it to good effect,.

Advertisement