Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caterpillar catastrophe!

Options
  • 01-09-2008 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Suddenly my sprouts plants are being savaged. Not so much on the broccolli. But there's a couple of different types, the yellow and green one from the cabbage white butterfly, and a squat, slate coloured one that hides in the folds of the leaf.

I don't want to use poison, but I need to get rid of them. What are your suggestions/experiences? Picking them is not a practical option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Picking them is not a practical option.
    If you don't want to use anything then picking them may be your only option. At the weekend I removed 17 tiny caterpillars from my cabbages. The week before I removed 47 large caterpillars, having gone tot he garden to see they had destroyed 7 cabbages and badly damaged 4 :mad:

I have also picked 34 caterpillars off my raspberry bushes. It takes a while but it's necessary. Unless you have hundreds of them it shouldn't take too long.

Next year I'll be laying fleece clotches on my cabbages as they grow, that should help keep the butterflies off. You could try removing them all by hand and covering the plants in plastic sheeting or fleece...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thanks. What I'd really like is my own army of tits!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

theres a lot to be said for hanging nuts and seeds for wild birds around your veg patch. It should attract at least a platoon of tits if not quite an army

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

.... try leinster house ......

• Advertisement
Advertisement