Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity costs for a small business

Options
  • 01-09-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

At the moment I’m trying to project costs for a new business. One of my main concerns is the annual cost of electricity. I’m basically looking to find out how i would go about estimating the annual cost.
    I could list out all of the appliances that will be running and for roughly how long but the figure could end up being way too vague... It may also be possible for me to find out the meter reading for one whole week on the same building the business would be running out of. The usage would be very similar and this could possibly be the ideal way for me to estimate the cost. Although actually getting a reading is a whole other issue.
    Outside of the above options all I can think of is seeing an electricity bill from a similar business.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Edit sorry mistype should have been 1 not 10
    Impossible to guess its like asking how long is a piece of string. If I were to guess I would estimate it at 1% of turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

ESB have a couple of calculators that *might* help you on their site:
    https://www.esb.ie/main/energy_business/index.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

what is the nature of the business?

if its retail orientated I may be able to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

kmick wrote: »
    Impossible to guess its like asking how long is a piece of string. If I were to guess I would estimate it at 10% of turnover.

10% :eek:

It depends on the business, but 10% would be extremely steep methinks, I would have estimated 1% if I had to nominate a %

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I used to work in a golf driving range which had a large retail store with interior lights on 78 hours per week, plus high intensity flood lights and outdoor lighting on from 5pm to 9pm during the shorter days, so our ESB bill would be much higher than any retail store (with the exception of large retail park units/supermarkets etc.), and electricity represented about 1% of our turnover on the P&L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I could list out all of the appliances that will be running and for roughly how long but the figure could end up being way too vague...

Do this and I can give you a cost.

It may also be possible for me to find out the meter reading for one whole week on the same building the business would be running out of.

Do this and I can give you a cost.

There's no comparison with other businesses, bar possibly franchises, as something such as a water heater could double running costs of a customer who needs lighting and till only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 phi1ip

First of all, thanks for the comments guys.

Its a relatively small retail business but also acts as a sports pavillion. Its daylight opening hours year round. So hot water for showers, bathrooms, two small kitchens with a microwave, large fridge and freezer, electric oven and a dishwasher. One medium sized drinks fridge (coke and such), a TV, couple of PC's, one till, a radio, and lots of indoor lights with a couple outside on all night. Heating on only during the cold winter days. For 4-6 months of the year there would also be a couple of golf buggies charging over night. I wont get into detailing all of the items that use electricity yet as im increasingly hopefull of a meter reading soon. Really is the best way for a fairly accurate estimation.

Another question for anyone who may be able to help. With the fairly substantial increases in ESB charges on the horizon id say its worth looking into other electricity providers. How are the likes of Airtricity to deal with? Or even any other recommendations are more than welcome.

Again, thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

Maybe try Energia, always need to be careful what we say on the world wide web but some one in the industry pointed me in their direction.

I found them honest on the phone, they told me no real point in moving my business to them if it was to save money. I run an insurance brokers office and the largest part of my bill was night storage so cheap ESB rates anyway.

Did you maybe think of phoning someone else in the industry, obviously not a local competitor. I know a little cheaky but hey what's the worst they can say, no?

Best of luck,

Michael

Advertisement