Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddel height,what affect on speed?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

This last weekend I had to lower my saddle a fair bit to allow my achilles to rest. How much affect would this have on your bike speed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

How's your saddle going to affect my speed ? (BOOM BOOM)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Sorry. A real answer would be you will have to make a greater effort to go at the same speed as you usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

amjon wrote: »
    This last weekend I had to lower my saddle a fair bit to allow my achilles to rest. How much affect would this have on your bike speed?

it shouldn't really, but it depends on how much you lowered your saddle as your bike position is different,

But thinkin of speed when you have a injury shouldnt be your main concern, keepin a low resistance / high-ish cadence (90-100) is better as it doesnt give to much pressure on your achilles

but your better off stayin off the bike until it heals up tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Within limits, a higher saddle enables more force to be applied and a lower saddle enables faster spinning. Being related to the product of the two, your power output (and therefore speed) will be optimised somewhere between the two extremes. As it was explained to me though, the saddle height that feels most comfortable is often quite a bit lower than the height that is actually most efficient. So you've got to trade comfort for speed.

Advertisement