Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had a fall

Options
  • 01-09-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Cycling home the usual route from work about an hour ago, I fell off coming down the big hill across the river from Church St. Didn't hit anything, was signalling to change lanes and just lost my balance. Went over the handlebars and came down pretty hard on my left side. Just some scratches to me and my bike but we'll be fine. Hurt my pride more than anything.
    Thanks to all the kind people who came over to check on me.
    Be careful out there. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

spokeyjoestabsip8.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

:D nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

littlejp wrote: »
    Cycling home the usual route from work about an hour ago, I fell off coming down the big hill across the river from Church St. Didn't hit anything, was signalling to change lanes and just lost my balance. Went over the handlebars and came down pretty hard on my left side. Just some scratches to me and my bike but we'll be fine. Hurt my pride more than anything.
    Thanks to all the kind people who came over to check on me.
    Be careful out there. :o

Sorry to hear about that, a nasty fall. Don't let it deter you. Speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Great old hill that.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

that's some hill to come off. did you slide far? traffic bearing down on you?

good to hear yer up and about again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

Took our bikes on holidays recently. Spend a full first week telling my kids to slow, down, be careful, stay close to the edge, watch our for this and that. Then got up on my own bike, and within 30 seconds, had hit a pothole and come off, straight into a tree, for my first fall in about 15 years. Don't know which hurt more either - the grazed leg or the pride!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

sorry to hear about that

in what town is church st.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I fell off my bike a few weeks ago - on wet polished concrete. Got the fright of my life, bounced then skidded. A few bruises and scratches, and a nice friction burn too.

When I woke up the next morning, I could hardly get out of bed. Every joint was aching.

I'm still not back on the bike 100%, have no confidence at all. I'm cycling like an 'ould wan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Glowing wrote: »
    I fell off my bike a few weeks ago - on wet polished concrete. Got the fright of my life, bounced then skidded. A few bruises and scratches, and a nice friction burn too.

When I woke up the next morning, I could hardly get out of bed. Every joint was aching.

I'm still not back on the bike 100%, have no confidence at all. I'm cycling like an 'ould wan :(

Fell off my bike a few months ago on the "back" road to Tramore in Co. Waterford. Combination of speed ( stupid of me) , loose chippings , wet road and sharp bend . Tore all down right hand side , cut badly from my thigh down and knuckle injuries . Slid for ten yards along the ground until I hit a wooden fence that stopped me .
    Embarrassment that it happenened it full view of a chap on an early morning walk turned to anger as he simply ignored my plight , put his head down and continued on his walk . Couldn't believe it , wasn't looking for a lift home or anything , I was able to fix the bent handlebar on the spot , but a simple "are ye alright boy??" would have done it . Left me like a dog there on the ground .
    Have fully recovered now ,..... "Glowing" get back on that bike as quickly as possible ....as painful as it was I was back on it the day after , and confidence will not be an issue , just be careful not to be as stupid as I was ...........
    Never seen yer man after , hope he's never in a situation where he is in a bit of bother and I'm in the vicinity ( have his face imprinted on my brain)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jaysus that sounds rough. I would be a bit shook up if I took a tumble like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Fell off my bike a few months ago on the "back" road to Tramore in Co. Waterford. Combination of speed ( stupid of me) , loose chippings , wet road and sharp bend . Tore all down right hand side , cut badly from my thigh down and knuckle injuries . Slid for ten yards along the ground until I hit a wooden fence that stopped me .
    Embarrassment that it happenened it full view of a chap on an early morning walk turned to anger as he simply ignored my plight , put his head down and continued on his walk . Couldn't believe it , wasn't looking for a lift home or anything , I was able to fix the bent handlebar on the spot , but a simple "are ye alright boy??" would have done it . Left me like a dog there on the ground .
    Have fully recovered now ,..... "Glowing" get back on that bike as quickly as possible ....as painful as it was I was back on it the day after , and confidence will not be an issue , just be careful not to be as stupid as I was ...........
    Never seen yer man after , hope he's never in a situation where he is in a bit of bother and I'm in the vicinity ( have his face imprinted on my brain)

Sorry to hear about that. Nasty. Luckily for you no car was approaching or something. You're not a member of the Comeragh CC by any chance are you?

shapez wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that. Nasty. Luckily for you no car was approaching or something. You're not a member of the Comeragh CC by any chance are you?

No shapez ,
    Have been cycling on my own now for the past 2 years , I'm a cyclist in my late 40's going through a mid-life crisis (haha) .. I actually have started to think of joining up with some sort of club alright 'cause I do good mileage in a week and enjoyed my first cycle in a group in the Sean Kelly cycle last week , but I'm a bit anxious about the age thing .
    Yeah, you're right luckily nothing was coming the opposite direction , happened early on a Sunday morning , everyone throwing up zzzzzzzzzz's in Tramore thank God ,except the good samaritan ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I just know in my waters that it's only a matter of time before I'm run over / fall off my bike

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

topper75 wrote: »
    sorry to hear about that

in what town is church st.?

Dublin
    Howitzer wrote: »
    that's some hill to come off. did you slide far? traffic bearing down on you?

good to hear yer up and about again.

Didn't slide. Just walloped straight onto the ground.
    Luckily there wasn't much traffic as usually at that time it's jammed along there, although I would have been going slower if there was traffic.
    My left side has been stiff all day. Had to get the bus to work and back. Starting to feel better tonight. Gonna cycle to work tomorrow but I'll probably be over-cautious for the next while til I get my confidence back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@Deisetrek- that is rough, must say any time I have come off in view of other people they have been very concerned to ensure that I was all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I came off at 6am in the middle of winter in the phoenix park once. Knocked myself out and when I came too (two, through?) there was a guy trying to help me. I was very lucky he wasn't some weirdo (plenty of them at that time in the park) as there was noone else around. He checked I was ok and I went on my way with the promise to go to the hospital later on.

No shapez ,
    Have been cycling on my own now for the past 2 years , I'm a cyclist in my late 40's going through a mid-life crisis (haha) .. I actually have started to think of joining up with some sort of club alright 'cause I do good mileage in a week and enjoyed my first cycle in a group in the Sean Kelly cycle last week , but I'm a bit anxious about the age thing .
    Yeah, you're right luckily nothing was coming the opposite direction , happened early on a Sunday morning , everyone throwing up zzzzzzzzzz's in Tramore thank God ,except the good samaritan ..........

Don't worry about the age thing at all. There are plenty of cyclist in the Comeragh Club over 40. You'll fit in no problem at all. If you fancy a couple of test leisure spins, we meet every Sunday morning at the Bank Of Ireland in Lisduggan at 9.30am. I won't be there myself for another week or so as I'm recovering from a broken collarbone. Logon to www.comeraghcc.com and register in the forums there.

shapez wrote: »
    Don't worry about the age thing at all. There are plenty of cyclist in the Comeragh Club over 40. You'll fit in no problem at all. If you fancy a couple of test leisure spins, we meet every Sunday morning at the Bank Of Ireland in Lisduggan at 9.30am. I won't be there myself for another week or so as I'm recovering from a broken collarbone. Logon to www.comeraghcc.com and register in the forums there.

Thanks shapez , might just do that , think I'll give it a miss this Sunday morning though , have an appointment in Dublin at some sort of sporting event up there ......now what was that anyway??? You sound like you had a spill yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Slice wrote: »
    I just know in my waters that it's only a matter of time before I'm run over / fall off my bike

Throw yourself off onto some grass then and get it out of the way!

Thanks shapez , might just do that , think I'll give it a miss this Sunday morning though , have an appointment in Dublin at some sort of sporting event up there ......now what was that anyway??? You sound like you had a spill yourself

Ah yes that sporting event alright!! I'll have my black & amber kit on that day!! :)

Yes, I came off coming down Mt. Leinster in July. Road surface was desperate. And I believe it claimed 2 more riders shortly after me. It was all nice an smooth for the Tour of Ireland though!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement