Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible A340 low over Dublin

Options
  • 01-09-2008 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I saw what looked extremely like an A340 (4 engine, definitely widebody, not 747 or A380) flying very low and slow over Knocklyon about 20-25 minutes ago. Just checked dublinairport.com and I don't think there's anything scheduled with that equipment.

Can anyone shed any light or am I seeing things?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Maybe a C17 heading into Baldonnel ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I saw it too from Firhouse, low and slow. Judging from the direction I'd say it was heading straight to Baldonnel. Gear was down - couldn't make out the flaps from the viewing angle, but it appeared to me to be on final approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ZS-OSI DC8 into BAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

African International, re-supply to the troops in Chad.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

This flew directly over my house (i live Three mins away from Baldonnel)what a sight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

davidd24 wrote: »
    This flew directly over my house (i live Three mins away from Baldonnel)what a sight

Heard the noise but couldn't see it. Knew it was a large and unusual aircraft.

Wanted to grab my camera (balcony is under Baldonnel flightpath) but at the time was in bath...........guy in towel with camera taking pics may not have looked pretty..............

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

Bramble wrote: »
    Heard the noise but couldn't see it. Knew it was a large and unusual aircraft.

Wanted to grab my camera (balcony is under Baldonnel flightpath) but at the time was in bath...........guy in towel with camera taking pics may not have looked pretty..............

Ha ha ha,I should of even grabbed my phone and took some pics,It was basically on final as we saw it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hey

Was sitting in work at Citywest last evening and saw it coming in, was pretty cool to see it soooo close up. no pic, i wonder will it be a regular visitor.

B

Hey

Was sitting in work at Citywest last evening and saw it coming in, was pretty cool to see it soooo close up. no pic, i wonder will it be a regular visitor.

B

I reckon she will as long as our guys are in Chad. Now's the time for Bal to be overhauled and expanded, especially the ramp its tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Anyone got any pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

The noise from the jet was incredible. It flew almost directly over my house and it really was incredibly low. Occasionally in the past there have been XL 767 or Etihad A330 flying low and slow approaches visible from Knocklyon but I don't think I ever saw one as low as the DC-8 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

It must have been very noisy with four JT3B engines. I did work these DC8's 1988-90 in STN.
    Quite a few Irish owned, GPA and Aer Turas for example.

As far as I can remember all Irish owned DC8-60's left the hanger with CFM56 engines. A lot, lot quieter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

LiamD wrote: »
    The noise from the jet was incredible. It flew almost directly over my house and it really was incredibly low. Occasionally in the past there have been XL 767 or Etihad A330 flying low and slow approaches visible from Knocklyon but I don't think I ever saw one as low as the DC-8 yesterday.

Different airports...XL or Etihad aircraft will be going to Dublin and being further from landing, won't need to be as low as for Baldonnel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hush kit included !

Not many of these lads left

http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk/ZS-OSI_RE_081006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Here she is at Shannon during july

DC8_ZS-OSI_AFRICAN_INT%7E0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Was there great plumes of smoke behind it when taking off or landing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

DC8s are very smokey , so I imagine yes..........

Love to see this , used to love the DC8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Steyr wrote: »
    Now's the time for Bal to be overhauled and expanded, especially the ramp its tiny.

Maybe Michael O'Leary would be willing to assist. Mind you, its a bit close to Dublin, maybe Ryanair could call it Athlone Airport :D

Maybe Michael O'Leary would be willing to assist. Mind you, its a bit close to Dublin, maybe Ryanair could call it Athlone Airport :D

Greater Dublin City Airport.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A boeing 707? Were you drinking? sometimes planes can look different than they are after a few pints :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

shamwari wrote: »
    Was there great plumes of smoke behind it when taking off or landing?

Spotted it today at approx 4pm descending over Talaght/Kilnamanagh. Nice trail of smoke from engines 1 and 3. The wife asked was there something wrong with it!

Lovely to see it. Great noise from those 4 engines as it went over the car. People oalong the road were stoppoing to stare. Wait for the newspaper reports of dangerous/emergency flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

A boeing 707? Were you drinking? sometimes planes can look different than they are after a few pints :D

What did He say about 707

Advertisement