Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

60km/hr speed limit on sections of the M50

Options
  • 01-09-2008 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

I've been traveling along the M50 between the Red Cow and the Sandyford exit a few times over the past few months. Many of you will know there is a 60km per hour limit on some sections of that road.

The last few times I've obeyed the speed limit exactly ... always slowing to 60 when that limit applies. I am ALWAYS the slowest person on that road!!! It looks like everyone is going faster that me because I always get passed out ... there is rarely anyone who stays behind me all the way.

Anyway, not sure why I felt the need to post this ... just wanted to say I'm a little surprised that so many people break the limit on that particular stretch of road, and there never seems to be anything done about it by the Guards etc.

/end_(semi)rant/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's an EU regulation that the speed limit must be 60kmph due to the proximity of the works. However, if the speed limit was obeyed, there would be chaos wit hamssive tailbacks. Perhaps it's a case of following EU legislation but turning a blind eye to it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

You're probably never on that section of the road so when I'm on it! I travel it every day and I'm always doing 60 km / hr and everybody overtakes me. It wrecks my head! And then I'll get overtaken by a big truck just around the Dun Laoghaire exit (and the speed limit goes up to 120 shortly after) so I end up just overtaking the truck then again when the limit goes up! *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

From Blanchardstown to the M1 there is also a 60km/h limit.

Over the past few weeks I've been behind Garda cars, in rush hour traffic, doing around 70 - 75 km/h, with the Gardai pulling away from me. No lights on and obviously in no rush.

Without the Gardai traffic will usually go around 80km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭blackbox

Heroditas wrote: »
    It's an EU regulation that the speed limit must be 60kmph due to the proximity of the works. However, if the speed limit was obeyed, there would be chaos wit hamssive tailbacks. Perhaps it's a case of following EU legislation but turning a blind eye to it? :confused:

RUBBISH

This is not EU legislation - in no other country in Europe have I seen such low speed limits at motorway roadworks.

Its so easy to blame the EU.

Advertisement