Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surely this is OTT modding?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57104968#post57104968

You have received a warning at boards.ie.

Reason:
    Breach of Forum Charter

particularly in the context of discussing access to licensed software or copyrighted material.

regards

Calina.

I never mentioned any or referred to any software. :confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"Do you use Bittorrent?" Sending a PM rather than posting publically? How does that not allude to passing a link to copyrighted software?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It looks like you were going to suggest something of the kind. Drop Calina a PM instead and explain why you were suggesting torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Meh, it's only a warning. Posters are allowed to call it 'cousins' in the tv forums. /shrug

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

"Cousins" lol

Ta for making me giggle. :D

/edit
    The "and it's not about a 450D" is an in forum joke with Freddie, anytime someone asks on the Photography forum what Camera to buy Freddie links 'em to a 450D link"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

"Do you use Bittorrent?" Sending a PM rather than posting publically? How does that not allude to passing a link to copyrighted software?
    It depends on whatever particular thought-crime you'd like to infer.

Maybe the poster didn't want to take the thread OT *shrugs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

With the benefit of dinner I have to say I am now wondering.

1) offtopic post about Bittorrent in the middle of a thread on RAW conversion software

2) oblique ontopic reference to accessing software which can legitimately be accessed without needing Bittorrent therefore bittorrent not really relevant in the context but with needing money or only 30 days use.

I'm confused. AR, care to comment? Either way it's a warning.

Nah I'll keep you sweet as I wouldn't like to spoil your late tea, I'll listen to some of my own videos.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=loOBinr8Ft4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

>_> i'd have no problem someone talking about torrents. Sure most downloaders are starting to put in a license agreement were you say you'll only download non piratey stuffs. If they said-oh hey,get such and such in by stealing it,i'd understand. I'm confused. Don't mind me.... Meow btw

Interesting edit there AnimalRights...

Nerin: I am not okay about bittorrent discussions in Photography in the context of a thread recommending access to Photoshop. Not at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some versions of the NIN new (free) album download is done by torrent depending on the file type selected.

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »

Nerin: I am not okay about bittorrent discussions in Photography in the context of a thread recommending access to Photoshop. Not at all.

Thats fair enough,i'd agree there. As i said,i just stumbled in here.I'm not having a pop at ya,and if someone on my forum said stuff like that,they'd get a rap on the knuckles. Or something :p Yup, faceman,i got the code thingy,cant remember,was it first number of fans or something? I remember i thought it was odd it was torrent,but still,i needed the code from their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

don't most people download gimp from torrents ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Are you saying that you can use something called bit torrent to get photoshop?

Sweet! Thanks Calina.

jhegarty wrote: »
    don't most people download gimp from torrents ?

I personally didn't myself when I downloaded the Gimp, no. I can't speak for anyone else though.

Truckle:....I dunno. Mine arrived on a DVD from Adobe via UPS or DHL or one of those. Fantastic customer service.

That's what the edit button is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I have a cousin who works at a large comoany in the UK, and I get kick ass prices on all that software anyway, so screw you all. :pac:

Limewire, Bittorrent, even thePirateBay are all fully legal, except when used in the wrong manner. OpenOffice, the last time I checked, could be downloaded on a Torrent, as with many other bits of software.

But,
    I have to stick it to calina here though, and go on the mod's side, warning was deserved. a ban would have been way over the top, but by issuing a warning, it meant that the topic would stay on thread, and that the issue of using bittorrent as a piracy portal was avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Indeed. So is this done? Or shall we have more pics on profiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The edit button is really there so that you can correct mistakes and add omitted information.

Changing the entire text of your post four times in a ten-minute period indicates that you would have been served better by the "reply" button instead of the edit one.

Look, warnings are generally inconsequential. You're complaining about nothing here. This isn't OTT modding. It's probably the lightest piece of modding anyone has ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah another toys out of the pram moment. We're getting a few of these at the moment eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm going to have to deny some animal its rights to make up for the time lost reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

gandalf wrote: »
    Ah another toys out of the pram moment. We're getting a few of these at the moment eh...

Sure feedback is dead these days.
    The Help Desk seems to be working out well along with the new Smodsingz.

I for one welcome our new HelpDesk Overlordies.

o/

biko wrote: »
    I'm going to have to deny some animal its rights to make up for the time lost reading this thread.

*Clubs a human* oh animal rights? Oh...*searches for a chimp*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Incidentally, aren't infractions meant to be viewable by mods only?

I can see this one and noticed one on the US elections forum the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Blowfish wrote: »

I can see this one and noticed one on the US elections forum the other day.
    Indeed it is visible. Cool. I like this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Blowfish wrote: »

I believe they can be viewed by everyone until the expire. Then only Mods can see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I believe they can be viewed by everyone until the expire. Then only Mods can see them.
    Cult put in a hack last week. Afaik, anyone can see a yellow or red card on the post when an infraction has been issued. Mods can clikc through and see infraction details until they expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

seamus wrote: »
    Cult put in a hack last week. Afaik, anyone can see a yellow or red card on the post when an infraction has been issued. Mods can clikc through and see infraction details until they expire.

Normal users can click through at the moment too btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

javaboy wrote: »
    Normal users can click through at the moment too btw.
    Not a bad idea if users can see *why* a post was carded. At least they'll learn what was wrong and avoid doing the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

gandalf wrote: »

While that may be true, you could check out Oscar bravo on the politics forums. He is rude, aggressive, in the true form of a bully he accuses other of the very vice from which he himself suffers. He is intolerant, ungenerous, seems to thrive on dischord and the general effect of his input is to impoverish the quality of debate there. He also uses his moderator position to threaten guys with whom he disagrees.

He comes across as a thoroughly unpleasant character whihc might be unfair as he may be a lovely guy in real life, but on here he seems to be something of an internet troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

auerillo wrote: »
    While that may be true, you could check out Oscar bravo on the politics forums. He is rude, aggressive, in the true form of a bully he accuses other of the very vice from which he himself suffers. He is intolerant, ungenerous, seems to thrive on dischord and the general effect of his input is to impoverish the quality of debate there. He also uses his moderator position to threaten guys with whom he disagrees.

He comes across as a thoroughly unpleasant character whihc might be unfair as he may be a lovely guy in real life, but on here he seems to be something of an internet troll.

I know him personally and that is an extremely inaccurate picture of the man in the real world.

As for bringing this up I am not sure what this has to do with a pseudo complaint from the photography forum and politics. When I made my comment I should have made it clearer that I was referring to the photography section (my bad tbh!).

I'd suggest closing this thread as it is at this stage about nothing to do with the original alleged complaint.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement