Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mix from the weekend

Options
  • 01-09-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Here is a band (torn by tragedy) I recorded this weekend. Along the lines of Machine Head or Killswitch Engage.
    www.myspace.com/trackmixstudio

With reference to recent threads about aligning drum mics and micing guitar amps, The snare is time and phase aligned with the overheads and the room mics are shifted back a couple of cycles to make the room bigger.
    The kicks and snare are mixed about 50% with triggered samples. Toms are live mics.
    The guitars are quad tracked (with 2 different heads per side) using a blend 2 57s on different speakers through an API a2d preamp.
    The guys are tuned to drop A so it was difficult enough to get clarity on the guitars and bass. A tube screamer pedal before the guitar amp made a big difference in refining the mid range. The bass is DIed through my isa 220. It sounded sh1t through an amp because of the very low tuning.
    This is currently the only track on my myspace page because the file hoster I use for the flash player deleted all my other stuff!
    These guys can really play and it was a pleasure recording them.
    Might be a bit heavy for some tastes though ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Is that a girl singing?

.... and you're after burstin' me laptop speakers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

"Might be a bit heavy for some tastes though ;-)"
    That means you Paul:D

Indeed! Is that yer one from the Ting Tings singing?

Did you see that Rod Morgenstein video thing I posted yesterday, might be up your street?
    It's the first of a series, should be interesting ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Ha-ha!
    That's bonkers! Sounds like the right job though.
    Gonna be singing that for the rest of the day now;)

• Advertisement

http://www.myspace.com/cindersfall

Up your street Michael?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

hahaha! was playing with the cat while i was listening and thought the high pitched wailing was on the track! didnt realize it was the 'meaow!'

vocals wouldnt be my thing but instruments sound great. also, thats a super guitar riff in the chorus (i think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭hexagramer

theres someamount of power i tell ya thats for sure, the snare sounds a bit out of place, think it may need a bit of ambiance and stereo imaging, but to retain that punch and attention is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

hexagramer wrote: »
    theres someamount of power i tell ya thats for sure, the snare sounds a bit out of place, think it may need a bit of ambiance and stereo imaging, but to retain that punch and attention is another thing.

+1 have another look at the snare sample, maybe tuck it back a bit.

Advertisement