Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very hard water in Drogheda - solutions??

Options
  • 01-09-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

A friend of mine hase lived in Drogheda for a number of years so is well used to the hard water - however, he has recently moved to the beamore road are (meadowview, millmount abbey, rosevale, ard ri area). The shower head needs to be descaled once a day. If you take off the shower head and run cold water thru the shower, the shower tray is full of sandy gritty bits. Is this a case of extremely hard water in this area of Drogheda? If so, is the only solution to install an expensive water softener?

Any views, opinions from residents of these areas in Drogheda???

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thst's madness. Have you got on to the council about it? I doubt a water softner could do much to tackle that sort of problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ellokittee

I'm up the Dublin Road Grange Rath area and its the same here as well. Can only use bottled water in the kettles, I don't even want to think about what our washer insides look like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

The kettles are the same - if you boil the tap water the kettle is full of limescale after one boil.....

They are using Calgon in the washing machine but sure if the water is that hard it probably wont do any good!

Is there any solution to this - I'm sure if they went to the expense of a water softener, they would want to know it worked.

Any residents in these areas have any experience of water softeners??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Any residents in these areas have any experience of water softeners??

Yes! My folks got one in years ago because of the problem with the limescale and it works really well as far as I know. They're away at the mo but will ask them what sort of one they have etc. in a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I got one in about 3 months ago and there's a noticeable difference. Also I've a guy who delivers the salt and he's cheaper than the retailers. It cost around €800 fitted outside as far as I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Soak your shower head in vinegar. It will get rid of the limescale and is a lot cheaper than paying €800 for some fancy gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I live in Ardee and we've the EXACT same problem. Every night befor eI shower I have to open the shower head and clean out the grit in side. It destroys it! Now the dishwasher isn't cleaning our dishes properly, its leaving loads of salty bits on the glasses.

I think the water has got worse in the past couple of months, its terrible now. But the only solution I've heard is to unfortunately get the expensive water softener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Soak your shower head in vinegar. It will get rid of the limescale and is a lot cheaper than paying €800 for some fancy gadget.

you can buy descaling stuff in a supermarket for descaling showerheads too, its only a few euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

A water softner is not a fancy gadget - in hardwater areas its essential. Installed cost about €750 to €800 - runnnig costs varies but i live in as hardwater area and my softner will use a bag of salt every 6 weeks there abouts - and a bag is approx €7.

It a investment. Otherwise, the whole water system in your house will be rendered useless eventually including your central heating if not protected. Your hot water cylinder will have to be changed regularily costing hundreds at a time, shower heads will have to be changed all the time and your shower itself will undoubtly pack up too - costing you loads and loads.
    Plus you no longer have scummy tea and you'll have soft skin and scalp too - hardwater wrecks your skin.

A softner is your only solution and is an INVESTMENT!
    Also, beware of where you but one and the brand and warranty.
    I've been through this - pm me for any info or help.

Advertisement