Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription Glasses

Options
  • 01-09-2008 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Here's a question for ya. Say I get a pair of glasses and I later find the the prescription lens are just not working out for me. What's my comeback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd say it would depend on the optician? Eg my mum got varifocals in Specsavers and couldn't stand them so they replaced them with 2 pairs no probs (for the 2 different perscriptions in the varifocals)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

all opticians, if reputable anyway, should give you a recheck free of charge and change the lenses free of charge if the prescription wasnt correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

can someone explain my prescription i was told im mildly shortsighted but that its nothing major,i just can make sense of the prescription.I would like to know just out of curiosity what it means and which eye is worse etc...

Distance
    right= (sph -0.25)(cyl -0.50)(axis 105)
    Left =(sph -0.25)(cyl-0.25)(axis 75)

Aided VA (dist 6/6 in Both eyes)
    (near N5 in both eyes)

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

That brings up anothe question. If they change the lens and take the old ones out, can the old ones be used again in another persons glasses?
    I don't mean, as a way to try to save/make money, etc.
    ...Just can they be used again so that the lens themselves can be put to good use and recycled?

Just wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biggins wrote: »
    That brings up anothe question. If they change the lens and take the old ones out, can the old ones be used again in another persons glasses?
    I don't mean, as a way to try to save/make money, etc.
    ...Just can they be used again so that the lens themselves can be put to good use and recycled?

Just wondering...

I suppose it would depend on the chances of someone having an identical eyesight problem, who also chooses identical frames.

As far as I'm aware, the frames are where the money is made, substantially more than the glass.

• Advertisement

no lenses are not re-used, the chances of somebody having the exact same prescription are very slim, as when it comes to the axis it can be anywhere from 1-180.

If there is such an instance in my lab i tend to keep the lenses and use them for training purposes, or for sample sunglass tints, or as thickness samples for patients.

triple-M wrote: »
    can someone explain my prescription i was told im mildly shortsighted but that its nothing major,i just can make sense of the prescription.I would like to know just out of curiosity what it means and which eye is worse etc...

Distance
    right= (sph -0.25)(cyl -0.50)(axis 105)
    Left =(sph -0.25)(cyl-0.25)(axis 75)

Aided VA (dist 6/6 in Both eyes)
    (near N5 in both eyes)

thanks

basically, your Right eye is worse than your left, as your cylinder power (CYL) is higher which means you have a very very slight astigmatism, nothing out of the ordinary at all.
    This is just to do with the shape of your eye and the refraction of light.

Your prescription is very slight, only wear your specs to ease discomfort and dont rely on them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I suppose it would depend on the chances of someone having an identical eyesight problem, who also chooses identical frames.

As far as I'm aware, the frames are where the money is made, substantially more than the glass.

Thats true up to -5 .. over that your talking big money for anything not resembling jam jars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Shamanic wrote: »
    basically, your Right eye is worse than your left, as your cylinder power (CYL) is higher which means you have a very very slight astigmatism, nothing out of the ordinary at all.
    This is just to do with the shape of your eye and the refraction of light.

Your prescription is very slight, only wear your specs to ease discomfort and dont rely on them:)
    cool,exactly what i wanted to hear,thanks A+

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Shamanic wrote: »
    no lenses are not re-used, the chances of somebody having the exact same prescription are very slim, as when it comes to the axis it can be anywhere from 1-180.

If there is such an instance in my lab i tend to keep the lenses and use them for training purposes, or for sample sunglass tints, or as thickness samples for patients.

Cheers for answering a pondering question. In these days of stuff being thrown out too quickly, I was just wondering about the above...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So what do Specsavers do with the glasses they collect? I've always brought my old ones back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So what do Specsavers do with the glasses they collect? I've always brought my old ones back to them.

I know some old glasses are sent out to 3rd World/Developing countries.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shouldn't have gone to specsavers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd say it would depend on the optician? Eg my mum got varifocals in Specsavers and couldn't stand them so they replaced them with 2 pairs no probs (for the 2 different perscriptions in the varifocals)..

From what the optician told my mother when she got varifocals, people either adjust to them or don't so pretty much any place that sells varifocals will let you change them if they're not suited to you.

Advertisement