Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipsy cake

Options
  • 01-09-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin that sells tipsy cake?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

Try Mannings on Thomas Street:

Mannings Bakery (Retail) Ltd.,
    39 Thomas St., Dublin 8.
    (01)4542114; (01)4545984

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

thanks for that.

There's also a cake shop on Phibsboro Road between Doyle'sCorner and the shopping centre. It a bit old school so they may have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Clarkes Bakery on the New Cabra Road.

Thanks for the replies, I called in to Mannings in Thomas street, they don't sell it, altough the foreign girl behind the counter might have thought I said I feel tipsy:), Clarkes in Cabra don't have it, I drop in there occasionally, the bakery in Phibsborough is called Thunders so I'll try there next. Perhaps tipsy cake has been banned under some EU regulation.:confused:
    PS: you might be right Boneless, I was thinking of the bakery along the row of shops tasty something, Clarkes is across the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They have it in the Tea Time Express beside Eason's on Talbot St. - I saw it on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

What is tipsy cake? Is it a Dublin thing?

The restaurant in the Botanic Gardens has Tipsy Cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is it the same as gur cake? *Mmmmmm, gur cake... drool*

@)
    ( ~ )

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well that clears that up. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

esel wrote: »
    Is it the same as gur cake? *Mmmmmm, gur cake... drool*

@)
    ( ~ )

Tipsy cake is made from old sponge cakes whilst gur was made from old scones,croissants and other sweeter breads. If you knew how it was made you wouldn't be suprised the EU banned it. ;)

I've seen tipsy cake sold as 'Russian Gateau'.

Whilst popular in old Ireland I'd say the Celtic Tiger led to a decrease in demand for minced up stale cake. Superguinn produced both in store in the 80's but I'd say an old small local bakery is now your best bet for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sorry to rehash an old thread but was the OP successful in their hunt for tipsy cake or has anyone seen any sold in bakeries lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

The little bakery beside Easons at the Irish Life Mall on Talbot Street in Dublin definitly sell it... I LOVE Tipsy cake!!!

Thanks for that. I shall head in during the week for a purchase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

It'll be better than you remember it... have a bucket of tea at the ready :)

Larianne wrote: »
    Sorry to rehash an old thread but was the OP successful in their hunt for tipsy cake or has anyone seen any sold in bakeries lately?
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner Larianne, my mouth was full of tipsy cake:), yes the bakery in the Irish life mall has it, thanks to everyone again for all the helpful replies.

vektarman wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner Larianne, my mouth was full of tipsy cake:), yes the bakery in the Irish life mall has it, thanks to everyone again for all the helpful replies.
    :D

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I got some in TeaTime Express a while back but I have also purchased it in the Centra beside the church on Westland Row recently. It wasn't quite as spicy as I remembered but then again we used to make it at home so nothing will come quite as close.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

The Phoenix Bakery just of the Navan Road do them and they are mighty tasty.Also saw them today Moorlands Bakery in Drogheda.yummy.Hope this is helpful.Enjoy :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I had never even heard of tipsy cake until last sunday, a friend was talking about it and mentioned he gets it in Clarks bakery on the cabra rd., I'm dyin to taste it now and see what all the fuss is about., :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 April08

superquinn lucan have tipsy cake... yummie... choice of white icing, pink icing or chocolate icing....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

any of the Thunders Bakery's should sell it.....the one in phibsborough definitely does, cause i remember one of the lads in work had a serious addiction to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Anywhere on the southside sell it?

Went to Superquin and the woman said they called it 'gur cake', didn't really know what tipsy cake was. They didn't have any.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gur cake is a different class of a beast.
    Tasty, but not in the league of old tipsy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

April08 wrote: »
    superquinn lucan have tipsy cake... yummie... choice of white icing, pink icing or chocolate icing....:D
    Superquinn Sutton used to do something called an Eccles cake.
    Anyone know if these are still available anywhere?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Right, got tipsy cake in Tesco Rathfarnham last night. Although i'm sure it's available in other ones too, as they generally have the exact same thing in each store.

It wasn't great, but still got the taste. It's labeled as 'Russian Cake' or 'Russian Slices'. Should be near the layer cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I’ve never made it but I have this recipe in Mrs Beeton’s Cookery and Household Management book. Not sure if it resembles what you were looking for but there are loads of other Tipsy Cake recipes online if anyone wants to make it. It might be easier to bake it yourself than to track down and travel to a shop that sells it.
    TIPSY CAKE
    1 sponge cake or 8 small individual cakes
    Raspberry jam
    1 glass Madeira or sherry
    1 pt. custard
    Decoration:
    Sliced Almonds
    Angelica
    Glacé cherries
    Split the cake or cakes & spread half thickly with jam.
    Sandwich together again & place in a dish.
    Pour over the wine or sherry & soak for 1 hr
    Pour the custard over, stick the sliced almonds in like a porcupine
    & decorate with cherries & angelica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Was only talking about tipsey cake today to someone. It's officially banned as it was all the old stale (or close to) cakes mashed up, soaked in sherry & iced. great stock control.

Love tipsey cake, gonna go looking in those places next week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Gurcake would have been made from 'stale' cake trimmings too. However, its not really stale, just trimmings they cut off other cakes to make them pretty, they just used up the leftover trimmings. It's not gone 'blue'. Its the old fashioned 'waste not, want not' mentality that we've all forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pennypincher

I have been looking for tipsy cake for quite a while now and haven't found anywhere in Dublin that stocks it anymore but I did find a small bakery on the main street in Ardee town, in Louth, that does the nicest tipsy cake that I've tasted in a long time. I know it's a bit of a journey from Dublin:confused: but I hope this has been some help to you.;)

Advertisement