Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft or hardwood for entrance gates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

ennisjim wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've read some postings on this but can't see much opinions. I am interested in peoples experience of soft and hardwood for entrance gates. I am thinking of getting something like this http://www.leinstertimbergatesanddoors.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=48
    Thanks
    James

I have both: I made the softwood ones in red deal: 2 by 8' by 3', sheeted both sides with TGV timber.
    Before I assembled them, got the prepared timber pressure treated industrially: 25 yr g/tee:) sadolins used as the finish

Got the hardwood ones made, they are teak and treated with sadolins also

v easy to maintain, no scraping off etc just a quick rub of sand paper.

I am happy with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

My experience with soft wood gates is that the are ok in a sheltered area, if you live on the side of a hill like we do where you open to all the elements I would recommend hard woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

hi ennisjim use hardwood but not sapelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Where can good side gates be bought of the shelf and what types would be the better ones. I am looking to replace a woodies/atlantic pine type side gate which has warped and swelled. Has it done this because its made from pine/white deal. Would it have made any difference if the gate had of been treated or is this just the wrong type of wood to use for an outside gate?

Cheers

Advertisement