Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Internet Service Provider?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

What is the best ISP in Dublin? We have BT which is always disconnected when I need it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

UPC , smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hold on, if you're having problems with BT then there's no guarantee that anyone else can give you a better service. Eircom own all the lines from the exchange you know and BT resell Eircom (unless its LLU which i'd doubt).

Can You tell us what package your on with BT and what make modem You got so we can instruct you on how to get your line stats. These stats will tell us how good/bad your line is.

Have You other devices on the phone line in the house, Sky, Phonewatch etc?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hold on, if you're having problems with BT then there's no guarantee that anyone else can give you a better service. Eircom own all the lines from the exchange you know and BT resell Eircom (unless its LLU which i'd doubt).

Not strictly true, UPC don't use the Eircom phone lines, they use their own cable network.

Also if you were to get ADSL2+ service from Smart or BT, while still using the Eircom line, will often give you a more stable and possibly faster service then Eircoms old ADSL gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jimdw

Can You tell us what package your on with BT and what make modem You got so we can instruct you on how to get your line stats. These stats will tell us how good/bad your line is.

Have You other devices on the phone line in the house, Sky, Phonewatch etc?

We have eircom line and we changed telephone provider to BT including internet (we never had broad band with eircom, just a telephone line). We have 3MB broadband with BT which somewhat increased in my experience from 300kb/sec to 500kb/sec at its highest. The router is Voyager (modem built in it)
    Today for example internet worked from 8am-9am and then disapeared until 17pm and disconnected twice for 30 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

Smart Telecom uses its own equipment in exchanges, offer up to 24mb , no download limits and 1:1 contention ratio ... cant go wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Jimdw wrote: »
    We have eircom line and we changed telephone provider to BT including internet (we never had broad band with eircom, just a telephone line). We have 3MB broadband with BT which somewhat increased in my experience from 300kb/sec to 500kb/sec at its highest. The router is Voyager (modem built in it)
    Today for example internet worked from 8am-9am and then disapeared until 17pm and disconnected twice for 30 minutes

I'm not sure how you log in2 a Voyager router (hopefully a BT customer will post how), but try 192.168.1.1 in your browser and post your dsl line stats here.

What exchange are you on? Put your phone number in here to find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

just press start/run type in cmd press enter

on black screen type ipconfig and press enter

the default gateway is ur router address :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jimdw

I'm not sure how you log in2 a Voyager router (hopefully a BT customer will post how), but try 192.168.1.1 in your browser and post your dsl line stats here.

What exchange are you on? Put your phone number in here to find out

I've logged in my router via IP, and I clicked around settings and things and there was nothing with DSL written
    SmartTelecom is not available for my telephone line.

Advertisement