Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quirky car controls

Options
  • 01-09-2008 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of cars which have quirky controls.
    One I remember was the alfasud which had the right hand stalk down movement for the heater fan and twist for the wipers?
    The alfa 90 had electric window switches on the roof headlining, it surely can't be just italian cars which have the quirks?

Any more odd designs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The entire Citroen range until about 1982.

The Mercedes "all in one" stalk is/was not a clever piece of work.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

anything made by Citroen before they merged with Peugeot and became PSA

for example ...Citroen CX

250px-Citroen_CX_dashboard.JPG

EDIT ..baahhh ...mike beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Saab's and their years of putting the ignition under the hand brake. Do they still do that these days by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Do a bit of googling on the Citroen CX. That'll satisfy some of your quirky needs :D

Stereo in the centre console - freaky wiper controls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroen_CX

EDIT - beaten to it long ago......

Victor_M wrote: »
    Saab's and their years of putting the ignition under the hand brake. Do they still do that these days by the way?

Yep - 9-5 has it. I'm not sure, but I think the 9-3 has opted for convention these days.

• Advertisement

My camper (Iveco) has the horn integrated into the stalk that controls the lights. The beautiful bit about that is that you can flash the lights and beep the horn all with one finger ...now guess, which one falls most ergonomically to hand?

yepp ...it's the middle one :D ...gotta love the Italians !

On some models you could also only pull the key out when it was in reverse gear (or "P" on autos)

peasant wrote: »
    On some models you could also only pull the key out when it was in reverse gear (or "P" on autos)

Yep - this also locked the gear lever in reverse (manual) rather than the conventional steering lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,922 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My camper (Iveco) has the horn integrated into the stalk that controls the lights. The beautiful bit about that is that you can flash the lights and beep the horn all with one finger ...now guess, which one falls most ergonomically to hand?

yepp ...it's the middle one :D ...gotta love the Italians !

Standard on Fiat's with steering wheel radio controls AFAICT - my Dad's GP has it, and his older Stilo did too.

My car has its gearstick about two foot off the usual location...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭blackbox

On my BX 16V the switches for the rear electric windows were placed on the console between the front seats where they could be operated by front or rear passengers.

Clever, simple & effective - I used to love Citroen controls, especially the 1st generation AX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭blackbox

Fiat 127 windscreen washer - it was a rubber bulb on the dashboard: odd, but it worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The late '80s/early 90s Isuzu Gemini had lights and wiper buttons on pods that came out to meet the finger-tips each side of the instrument binnicle. There was only one simple stalk for the indicators AFAIR. Quite brilliant ergonomically actually.

Can't find a pic. I think the CX had something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The old mini used to have the headlights operated by a floor switch near the clutch AFAIR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did not the Alfa 75 also have the switches on the roof? Same era so probably did.

Mike.

blackbox wrote: »
    Fiat 127 windscreen washer - it was a rubber bulb on the dashboard: odd, but it worked well.

My Renault 4 had the same bulb ..on the floor, next to the clutch.

The VW van I currently drive has the wahser reservoir inside the drivers door, in the floor,next to the step, coverd by a rubber mat (you'd never find it if you didn't know it was there) ...and the hydraulics reservoir for the brakes inside the dashboard, behind the speedo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There was actually a very good reason for that, it was so the keys didn't shred your knee in an accident!

mike65 wrote: »
    Did not the Alfa 75 also have the switches on the roof? Same era so probably did.

Mike.
    The Giulietta definitely did.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The old Saabs had a transmission lock instead of a steering lock, that's why you had to put it into reverse when you parked it.

The 9-5 still has this feature, but it also has an electric steering lock

The 9-5 has an electronic key that slots in behind the gear lever, but just has the electric steering lock, so you don't have to park it in reverse.

My weird controls observations:

Peugeot Boxer: electric window switches on the roof

Nissan Almera: heating and radio controls use the same buttons

Citroen Berlingo/Xsara: only 1 electric mirror

Fiat Multipla: handbrake on right hand side of drivers seat (think Pug 806 had this too?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Older 911s look like someone someone caught the switches and threw them at the Dash - wherever they landed they stayed.

The Renault 4 had the gear stick sticking out of the dash.

Older Mercs had a hand brake pulled from the dash, and now have foot ones.

Many motors I have driven have a rubber foot pump for the window wash.

Some Alfas have had their electric window switches and the check panel on the roof ( I think as a reference to aircraft )

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Older 911s look like someone someone caught the switches and threw them at the Dash - wherever they landed they stayed.
    And they weren't sitting in the driver's seat when they threw them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

crosstownk wrote: »
    Yep - 9-5 has it. I'm not sure, but I think the 9-3 has opted for convention these days.

No it hasn't - my mid 06 9-3 Tid still has it there.....:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    No it hasn't - my mid 06 9-3 Tid still has it there.....:D

Well there's the proof I didn't Google.................. Oh wait it's not one of those threads ;):D

crosstownk wrote: »
    Well there's the proof I didn't Google.................. Oh wait it's not one of those threads ;):D

you mean one of the ones that gets locked after a few minutes despite the person that locked it starting a similar thread himself only a few hours earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

00 Golf, radio located at shin level...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    you mean one of the ones that gets locked after a few minutes despite the person that locked it starting a similar thread himself only a few hours earlier?

stop stirring it ..NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Original mini with long switches on the dash with centre key.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

pburns wrote: »
    The late '80s/early 90s Isuzu Gemini had lights and wiper buttons on pods that came out to meet the finger-tips each side of the instrument binnicle. There was only one simple stalk for the indicators AFAIR. Quite brilliant ergonomically actually.

Can't find a pic. I think the CX had something similar.

Original Fiat Uno had the same dealey with the controls on little pods to the right and left of the steering wheel. One stalk for the indicators, switching between the high/low beam lights and horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The old fiat 500 and early 126's had a lawnmower style pull starter between the front seats.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

foot operated 'hand' brakes still in mercs? pure pain in the arse for no apparent reason.

• Advertisement

stop stirring it ..NOW

Point taken, fair play for deleting your own thread.

Advertisement