Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rear engined - no googling

Options
  • 01-09-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

following on from the "boxer" thread

What cars are there that have or had the engine hanging out the back?

Obviously ..the most famous ones ..the 911 and the beetle (and my inline-four diesel Transporter :D)

What else? Play fair, no googling ...just from the top of your head

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Did the original Fiat 500? My Mum had one donkeys years ago, I have very fond memories of it and vaguely remember being confused as to why every one else had a car with the engine in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭blackbox

Hillman Imp

Fiat 500, 850 and 850 Coupe
    Fiat 126

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Old Skoda. (Always breaking down)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Would I be right in saying the Porsche 356?

• Advertisement

Skodas (pre-VW take-over)

edit- ah - beaten by Murt10

Was there a Renault Alpine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

blackbox wrote: »
    Was there a Renault Alpine?

Yep the renault a610

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

That aircooled V8 in the Tatra 613.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Mg metro 6r4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

DeLorean DMC-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Skoda Estelle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Skoda Estelle.

They were the business:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mthd wrote: »
    Yep the renault a610
    And the A110.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

mcwhirter wrote: »
    They were the business:D

Yes they were - it was hard to find anything worse than one of these, even back then:D! They were the business at being a complete and utter heap!

And then there was the Skoda Rapid:D!

The Ferrari F40, F50, 288 GTO and Renault Alpine 1600(was it even a Renault?)(from as recently as 1973 I think it was:)) are all rear engined cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Skoda Estelle.
    There was a Skoda Sports also, so light on steering that concrete blocks had to be carried in the front corners of the boot. :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Going take a chance and not google this - but the NSU Prinz was rear engined as far as I know.

I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Renault 8

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

E92 wrote: »
    The Ferrari F40, F50, 288 GTO and Renault Alpine 1600(was it even a Renault?)(from as recently as 1973 I think it was:)) are all rear engined cars.
    I think the first three are mid-engined, the Alpine was rear-engined though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Top this: 1899 Benz.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Going take a chance and not google this - but the NSU Prinz was rear engined as far as I know.

I could be wrong.

You aren't :)

Are car of similar shape and identical engine postion would have been the Simca 1100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think the first three are mid-engined, the Alpine was rear-engined though.
    I think you're right - I was thinking that the F40's engine was a bit too far forward to be rear engined:o!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

peasant wrote: »
    You aren't :)

Are car of similar shape and identical engine postion would have been the Simca 1100

I am gonna chance the Hillman Imp too so - as far as I can remember there are about 20 variants of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

define rear-engined!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

MGF (maybe it is midmounted.. there is room for an umbrella behind it)

Renault Clio v6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Victor_M wrote: »
    Did the original Fiat 500?
    blackbox wrote: »
    Hillman Imp
    Jebus - I remember these. :eek:
    My father had an imp, my aunt had a 500...happy days..:)

/on topic
    MR2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Trabant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

SteveC wrote: »
    Jebus - I remember these. :eek:
    My father had an imp, my aunt had a 500...happy days..:)

/on topic
    MR2?
    M = mid engined
    R = rearwheel drive

or so the story goes

hence I asked - rear engined usually means on or behind the back axle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Trabant

Front engined actually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I would have thought mid-engined / rear engined = put the pic-i-nic basket in the front and were the same thing?

Advertisement