Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows xp failing to start.

• 01-09-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi, my desktop will not start. It gets as far as the windows logo with the loading bar, then it freezes.. Then i restart it manually,and i get the options of start in safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt,it will run in those modes, but it just freezes if i select start normally, or use last known good config. I dont have the xp cd to reinstall it. What could be causing this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Have installed or uninstalled any new software (including system updates) or hardware lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

I haven't but my friend was using it so they obviously done something, but they dont know what.i tried system restore in safe mode but it wont restore.i also ran chkdsk and it seemed fine.

Any1?

ok, i seem to have got it working again, dont ask me how, i disconnected a few cables and reconnected them, also cleaned the fan covering the cpu as it was very badly h dirt..
    i got an error report saying that "windows is after recovering from a serious error. All my musics and pics etc appear to be gone, its like when i first got it, even media player had to be set up like when i first got it.
    What would of caused this?? thanks.

ok i'm getting this problem again.. Except when it gets as far as the logo it just restarts itself.. And keeps doing that.. I downloaded IE8 and also avast.
    Ran a scan and it told me to restart.. Ever since then its been doing this.. Any ideas? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try booting off with just one stick of RAM, this would rule out memory failure

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

I had a similar problem awhile back .. have you got 2 hard drives? my problem was solved when i disconnected my second hard drive.

just tried takin one out. Didn't work. Thanks for the reply.. No i only have the one hard drive.. Anythin else? Thanks

ok, now i'm gettin a message saying "cpu over temperature error and no ide master H.D.D detected"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭homer911

Last week I got stuck in an infinite reboot loop with Vista Home Premium.

I couldnt do a factory restore so ended up reinstalling from a Vista Ultimate disk I got last year

I had been running avast with no problems and IE 7 so dont think those are your problems - you might need to try a factory restore if the restore partition is still accessible (Ctrl-F11 on a Dell under XP)

• Advertisement

its a packard bell.. And i dont have the xp disk to reinstall it.. When this happened before, it seemed to reinstall it or somethin itself.. Lost all my files and stuff but it was workin again.. Would there be a way to do it on the packard bell like the dell pc? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

have you reconnected your hard drive? that "no IDE master hard drive" menas your main hard drive could be dead or disconnected.

also you're getting a CPU temp error you machine must have been overheating. are the air vents etc blocked with dust? you said the CPU fan was dusty, your air vents could also be blocked and also dust on the rest of the mother board etc.

make sure you PC is in an area where air can get at those air vents.

i'm not gettin the cpu or hard drive error anymore.. I cleared all the dust out alright.. It just keeps restartin.. So is it just fecked now?

is it giving any error messages before it restarts itself?

can you get into safe mode (pressing F8 at boot up)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

when you get into safe mode then run msconfig

i'm not getting any error messages.. It just restarts every time the windows logo comes up..it will stay on the logo, it looks like its loading, but then it restarts. It wont allow me to go into safe mode.
    If i push f8 it just gives me a list of things to boot from..like the cd drive or floppy. But it still wont work. Thanks

ok. Now i'm gettin something different.. I'm gettin a new list. Here they are :windows advanced options menu
    safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, enable boot logging, enable vga mode, last know good configuration, directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only), debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, start windows normally, reboot, return to os choices menu.
    All in that order.. Now, what should i chose? Disable automatic restart since it keeps going in a loop.. Any help would be great, thanks

try last known good config

that wont work. I tried disable automatic restart. And i got a blue screen sayin fatal system error c000021, i will have to reinstall xp but i dont have the disc.

last known good wont work or doesn't work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 bignose3838

If you have a graphics card check is it in properly. Usually a blue screen error is to do with the video card. If this does'nt work boot into safe mode and go to device manager, choose graphics card and roll back driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

just want to follow this as it updates by email alerts

it will not boot in safe mode. it just restarts what ever i select. I only got the blue screen when i selected disable automatic restart.
    everything seems to be connected correctly.
    If i choose last known config it restarts to. wont get any further than the xp screen. any other ideas? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lydabryant

Try to use your Winxp installation disc and don't select 'R'- repair then after 'searching for prev installed windows'... that's the time you select 'R'-Repair.
    hope that helps! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

TRY f8 safe mode scroll arrow down to dirrectory services restore mode, press enter wait 90percent of the time that works. can you hear the pc fan coming on.

i dont have the xp disk. yes the fan was coming on. i got a mates vista disk yesterday. installed that. its running, but it seems a bit slugish

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

Have a look at your mother board and see if there are any capacitors burst....

Specifically have a look near the heat sinks for your CPU.
    I had a few PC's go due to poor chassis design where the heat sink was practically
    cooking the nearby capacitors. New mother boards was the solution....:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Madman08 wrote: »
    Have a look at your mother board and see if there are any capacitors burst....

Specifically have a look near the heat sinks for your CPU.
    I had a few PC's go due to poor chassis design where the heat sink was practically
    cooking the nearby capacitors. New mother boards was the solution....:eek:
    Not bad design, it was due to the wrong formula used for the electolyte, and it was a secret formula and I belive there was some spying involved too.

Only really applies to certain models of PC's Mostly DELL, some HP and some Apple If says "Previous shutdown due to thermal event" it's probably that

They are beyond economic repair if you include the labour and parts for a system of that age.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=21
    http://www.thecapking.com/whatwestock.html

Advertisement