Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameweek 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

RuggieBear wrote: »
    god damn panthers

I'm pleased with that one - great final play though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

davyjose wrote: »
    Fair enough, but you're a Pats fan, are you not concerned? I'm a Colts fan, and if Manning goes off tonight at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, I'd be concerned.
    Brady will probably be ok, but I'd still be concerned.
    Difference Sorgi is SHITE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fair enough, but you're a Pats fan, are you not concerned? I'm a Colts fan, and if Manning goes off tonight at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, I'd be concerned.
    Brady will probably be ok, but I'd still be concerned.
    Of course I'm concerned, very concerned. The only thing is that if he is out for a couple of weeks we have such a powerful offense that I think we can survive without him for most games. The difference Brady makes is huge, he can spread the ball and he has no goto guy as such, last year we had Moss, Welker and Faulk catching a lot of passes, and then Stallworth, Gaffney and Ben Watson or Kyle Brady when needed. There was not as much of a running game, but Bilichick has said that he intended to bring the run in a lot more this year so when we have that game on the ground it makes it easier for a backup to come in and be competent. I'm not saying its ideal or anything like that, but I only see a handful of games where Brady will be really necessary like against the Colts for intstance and the Chargers.
    On the 16-0 thing, only one team has ever went 16-0;) for the regular season so its no big deal if we don't do that, we just want home advantage for the entire playoffs.

Edit. How did you guess I was a Pats fan, am I giving it away or something?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Yahoo sports are reporting that Brady is expected to miss the rest of the 2008 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

see http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Am7slPGmsryRcQgatVjOIIo5nYcB?slug=ms-bradyoutforyear090708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Matt Cassel apparently hasn't been a starting quarterback since high school

As for the Patriots running game being solid, they better hope they don't have to rely too much on Lamont Jordan !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Rams were woeful, absolutely terrible. McNabb is playing like someone who's trying to shut an entire city's media corps up though, and it's working.

The Brady thing: launching yourself into someone's lower leg when you know they have an injured foot is a bit immoral. But that's football I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Karlusss wrote: »

The Brady thing: launching yourself into someone's lower leg when you know they have an injured foot is a bit immoral. But that's football I suppose.

If your body cant take the hits then get off the field.

eagle eye's off crying somewhere now;)

kmart6 wrote: »
    eagle eye's off crying somewhere now;)
    Not at all, we have good backup, its a bit scary though. I am not going to believe anything that comes out this early about him either. I will wait until its confirmed that he is that bad. Tbh though it will be a tough fight to get home field advantage if we do lose him for the whole season. I just knew when that luckbox legend joined the Jets that something would happen. Aaargh as much as I try, I just can't hate Favre and thats a first for a player at the jets for me.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Edit. How did you guess I was a Pats fan, am I giving it away or something?:D

Call it a hunch.:pac:

Seriously, if Brady misses 5/6 games, then expecting the Pats to get home advantage, is seriously conceited. If he's gone for the season, you'll be lucky to go 9-7 IMO

• Advertisement

Call it a hunch.:pac:

Seriously, if Brady misses 5/6 games, then expecting the Pats to get home advantage, is seriously conceited. If he's gone for the season, you'll be lucky to go 9-7 IMO
    Hang on one minute, we are missing a superstar quarterback, a huge loss but we have Bill in charge you have to remember that. He gets the best out of everyone. We are not done by a long way, we have a lot of class in that team. I mean we all know what Brady is like now, but remember a few years back when Bledsoe got injured and Brady was ready to come in and take over. Every player on the Patriots is prepared to play at any time and even though he neither of our backups are near the class of Brady, Cassell hit Welker twice or three times today and he hit Moss a couple of times as well, give him another week of prep knowing that he is going in as No.1 and he will be a lot better. Its a big challenge I think we can still go very well this season, and I said that home field advantage would be tough to get but, if we lose Brady for the season, we still won't be far off it. I'd fancy the Colts and Chargers might get us but only the two of them and we have a game start on the Chargers already. And who knows, the Bears look good so far so we might have one up on them as well.

we have Bill in charge ... remember a few years back when Bledsoe got injured and Brady was ready to come in and take over.
    I see what you're saying, but Brady turned out to be one of the best QB's ever, how can you expect Cassel to take on the weight of the biggest team in Football right now. That's optimistic. I genuinely think 9-7 would be a good result without Brady. But unfortunately, for any sport fan, we'll probably get to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't believe we (the Chiefs) couldn't convert from the 5 with 53 seconds left. Very disappointing. Never rated Huard myself and it's a pity Coyle got injured.

Great to see LJ back though. 22 carries and 74 yards isn't spectacular by any means but it's solid. Couple more games and he'll be flying.

Jesus the Colts are looking dodge!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Jesus the Colts are looking dodge!

Shocking - they can't handle the Bear's running game, and the receivers look very rusty.

It's Manning that looks bad to me...passes have been either short or too far! It's really only been that one big TD run and a few smaller one's....Sander's quietened your man down for a bit!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

typical mannings to be honest, im waitin on the colts for a few bob in my accumulator, last feckin game too thanks to the cowboys doing the business.

ill be very dissapointed if they dont start playing better in the second half, they look.......old.......rusty, i would have thought they would do their utmost to put down a marker for the season ahead tonight

like i said though, typical mannings, they just dont do me favours!

on a side note,if we lose Brady for the season we are in real trouble by the way

kryogen wrote: »
    on a side note,if we lose Brady for the season we are in real trouble by the way

Your in trouble so!

Well no bed for me then, come on the bears, a game lead over the colts and the chargers could be so crucial come the end of the season.
    Xavi the Chiefs only got there from the big error from the Pats secondary and in fairness our defense were all over the Chiefs today.
    Just on the quarterback issue, just watching the halftime report and there are already stories of us looking at free agents.
    I think Cassell showed enough today to get his shot now and who knows this Kevin O'Connell our new rookie could be special as well.
    But I am worried now that Tom Brady is confirmed gone for the season.

kryogen wrote: »
    typical mannings to be honest, im waitin on the colts for a few bob in my accumulator, last feckin game too thanks to the cowboys doing the business.

ill be very dissapointed if they dont start playing better in the second half, they look.......old.......rusty, i would have thought they would do their utmost to put down a marker for the season ahead tonight

like i said though, typical mannings, they just dont do me favours!

My accum went down on the last team, the Chargers, I had five NFL games and five Soccer Matches in it. I would not back against the Bears or at least not this early, I really liked their draft this year and I really fancy them to go very well this year but best of luck to you although I am rooting against you for more than one reason.

Xavi the Chiefs only got there from the big error from the Pats secondary and in fairness our defense were all over the Chiefs today.

But sure the Pats offense hardly set the world alight either. The Chiefs have a decent D and did well to snuff out most of the Pats attack.

Despite it being a loss there are some good signs, especially LJ being back.

• Advertisement

1st game, but this guy Forte looks like a steal in the draft. He made Sanders look ordinary for a 60 yard TD. And his yardage is incredible for his first game.

Oooooh yaaaaaa! gotta love that bears defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Happy with the Eagles start to the season. Of course the rams may be the worst team in the NFL so it doesn't mean quite so much. Still our D stopped JAckson dead and he's a top running back so thats an improvement. Samuel looked very good, a few almost ints... Stewart Bradley was everywhere he'll be a player for us anyway. And the offense well with a Healthy McNabb the eagles are a threat to the whole league but can he stay healthy. He certainly seems to have a weapon in DJackson.

Harsh on the Brady front. And Eagleeye if you think the pats ain't in a bit of bother then you're crazy. QB is THE most important position on the field. Sure when Bledsoe went down Brady stepped in but to expect similar results again is insane. I'd be shocked if the Pats go better than 9-7 in fact I think it could be an 8-8 season for them.

Damn Pandas beating the Chargers... I was hoping that the 1st rounder we got off ye would be a top 10... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

RuggieBear wrote: »
    god damn panthers

Yes, damn Carolina to hell, ruined my bet.

Pats are finished.
    Dallas are awesome, ship the Superbowl imo.

He made Sanders look ordinary for a 60 yard TD. And his yardage is incredible for his first game.

Lol,all the commentry teams pointed out that Sanders took a bad angle,also he wasn't the Safety covering that side. And anyway Sanders made bit's of him and knocked him out for a few plays!

Not that incredible, look at Turner a think it was for Atlanta today, 220 yards, now that's a first game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Bit early on your crowning of the Cowboys there. Sure haven't they been "awesome" for the last two years. Lets see Romo actually win a plaoff game first... :)

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Harsh on the Brady front. And Eagleeye if you think the pats ain't in a bit of bother then you're crazy. QB is THE most important position on the field. Sure when Bledsoe went down Brady stepped in but to expect similar results again is insane. I'd be shocked if the Pats go better than 9-7 in fact I think it could be an 8-8 season for them.

Damn Pandas beating the Chargers... I was hoping that the 1st rounder we got off ye would be a top 10... :(
    Jeez, will you read my posts again. I said I'm worried but I'd still expect a winning season and a good one at that. I know how important Brady is but we can still go 12-4 if you have a look at our schedule.
    I think for a lot of you guys its wishful thinking as well, lets just wait and see, we gotta win our division games which seem a little tougher given the Bills and Jets results today.

Superb win for the Bears on opening day.

Really glad for Kyle Orton. I was living in Chicago when he played as a rookie back in 05 and no one thought he would ever make it as a starter long term. Fair play to the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Superb win for the Bears on opening day.

Really glad for Kyle Orton. I was living in Chicago when he played as a rookie back in 05 and no one thought he would ever make it as a starter long term. Fair play to the guy.

As a native Chicagoan, it is always frustrating no matter who your QB is going to be for the season. We have always been built on ball control and 'D' with Special Teams thrown in for good measure.

Orton is the guy 'that won't hurt you' as the season moves forward.

Grossman is without question the 'better' QB when he is on, but the things you have to put up with in the meantime will cause ulcers.

Good win to start the season for the Bears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think for a lot of you guys its wishful thinking as well, lets just wait and see, we gotta win our division games which seem a little tougher given the Bills and Jets results today.

Im not too scared of the Jets, maybe a bit more scared of the Bills (I have tickets to Bills @ Pats on 9 Nov) which i cant wait for. The Pats will be 3-0 going into the bye week and then 4-0 after the 49ers but it gets a bit trickier after that. But hopefully we'll have a decent QB at this stage either Cassell or somebody else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Trampas wrote: »
    Miami need a qb. Pennington is awful

Love the way people continuously write Pennington off. He finished the game strongly yesterday and gave a good performance overall. Miami have MUCH bigger problems.

I was happy with the win yesterday. Jones was able to move the ball on the ground and Favre ended the game with good numbers. Defensively we were a bit soft at times - but came up with the big play to end it obv.

It is vital to note though that Favre's second TD toss was a terrible throw. He chucked it up there and that won't work most of the time. He looks like a genius when it comes off like that and an idiot when he gets picked there. The problem is that it is a bad decision every time - and it is an element of his game that has the potential to cost us bigtime.

Tougher tests ahead. It would be awesome if Brady is out for the season to be fair as it would greatly increase our chances of getting to the playoffs.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It is vital to note though that Favre's second TD toss was a terrible throw. He chucked it up there and that won't work most of the time. He looks like a genius when it comes off like that and an idiot when he gets picked there. The problem is that it is a bad decision every time - and it is an element of his game that has the potential to cost us bigtime.

Tougher tests ahead. It would be awesome if Brady is out for the season to be fair as it would greatly increase our chances of getting to the playoffs.

Wasn't that play on a 4th & long? I don't think he had much too lose on that play by throwing it up. If he took the sack he would lose yards, if it was intercepted more than likely they wouldnt gain too many yards since it was in the end zone, improving field position. So it wasnt that stupid, a calculated risk that paid off.

As for hoping Brady is out for the season, I'll be laughing my ass off as we beat ye guys by 20 on Sunday.

Hazys wrote: »
    As for hoping Brady is out for the season, I'll be laughing my ass off as we beat ye guys by 20 on Sunday.

I'm not actively hoping that he is out as I wouldn't wish serious injury upon anyone. The man is a legend and the season loses a lot if he can't play. BUT if he can't get back on the field this year it is a huge boost for us. With Brady you guys are a superbowl probability. With Cassells you could be an 8 - 8 team tbh.

The guy has hardly thrown a ball since he was in highschool. Apparently Chris Simms is working out in New England this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

The guy has hardly thrown a ball since he was in highschool. Apparently Chris Simms is working out in New England this morning.

I wasnt a big fan of Matt Cassell but lets not forget he went 13/18 152 yds and a TD yesterday isnt great but honestly I didnt see him get close to that but there you go he proved he has ability. If they bring in experience it will be to backup Cassell. Its now or never for him and BB knows this. Remember in 2000 when Brady started people wrote him off now look.

I wasnt a big fan of Matt Cassell but lets not forget he went 13/18 152 yds and a TD yesterday isnt great but honestly I didnt see him get close to that but there you go he proved he has ability. If they bring in experience it will be to backup Cassell. Its now or never for him and BB knows this. Remember in 2000 when Brady started people wrote him off now look.

I agree he got the job done yesterday. However, he backed up his entire college career at USC and yesterday accounts for a significant bulk of competitive snaps he has taken since he left the HS level behind. Of course Brady was not expected to amount to even half of what he has - obv his draft ranking reflects this. So yes, Cassell could be great and the only way to know is to play him. But the Pats have gone from having the best player in the league taking snaps to a guy who is the definition of "unproven".

With Cassells you could be an 8 - 8 team tbh.

Wishful thinking. The Pats will still win the AFC East, look at their competition:

Miami, Bills and Jets, the Patriots are probably better in all postions than these teams except at QB where the Patriots have an unknown quantity. The Bills went 7-9 last year with Edwards as their QB who only had a 70 QB rating and the 08 Patriots are a significant upgrade on the 07 Bills

They mite struggle to do it, but this team has 53 players on it if 1 player (even the most important player) goes down they dont go from 18-1 to 8-8 because of one player, its a bit unrealistic.

I'm still not convinced the Jets are any better this year than they were last year, or Miami. The Bills maybe but are they anywhere near as good as the Patriots?

Yeah I see Chris Simms is gonna work out this morning. I don't know much about him, he does not seem like a starter to me. I think that while Cassel did play ok yesterday it was a little conservative from the Patriots who did not not want to put too much on his plate, you have to remember that he is backup at the moment, now he gets his chance and you just know Belichick will get him playing his very best. Its got nothing to do with his arm at all, he showed yesterday that he can hit his receivers, its about whether he can take the heat of being a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A great first night's viewing. The Saints looked to have significantly improved their D. Even had a good gme from Reggie Bush. The Bucs really are a brilliantly coached team.. I don't think Gruden gets anywhere enar the credit he deserves.

Delighted for Jake Delhomme. He's an out & out leader.

Bears D was back to 05/06 form. Briggs and Urlacher stuffing the Colts O line. Orton played a nice game, pulling out a few critical 3rd down passes to his tight ends. Forte looked at home

Could be another late one tonight.

• Advertisement

Simms and Rattay are both washed up and I would rather see Cassell do it so what if there is no experience he played well yesterday for a guy who got fook all game time. Obviously the Patriots organisation like him as he was the worst of 3 in pre-season and kept his job and was still No. 2. Give him his go and give him the experience. My opinion washed up QBs dont cut it.

Simms and Rattay are both washed up and I would rather see Cassell do it so what if there is no experience he played well yesterday for a guy who got fook all game time. Obviously the Patriots organisation like him as he was the worst of 3 in pre-season and kept his job and was still No. 2. Give him his go and give him the experience. My opinion washed up QBs dont cut it.

Id prefer Cassell also, an unproven player who knows the system and the players, over guys who couldnt cut it at their own teams.

Bill has do it before maybe he can do it again

. My opinion washed up QBs dont cut it.
    Tell that to Kurt Warner. In fairness what is washed up? Is there an older player in the league than Favre? And he's quite clearly still got it.
    IMO, NE are resting a lot on this guy, they are now in a worse position than Green Bay, QB-wise. Pats fans worship Belichick as a miracle worker, but Jesus couldn't rescue this season - Cassel won't cut it, simple as.

TBH, with Brady out, Merriman's knee and the Colt's after playing their worst game in maybe 5 seasons, and looking very average in offence and defense, the league is wide-open.

Tell that to Kurt Warner. In fairness what is washed up? Is there an older player in the league than Favre? And he's quite clearly still got it.
    IMO, NE are resting a lot on this guy, they are now in a worse position than Green Bay, QB-wise. Pats fans worship Belichick as a miracle worker, but Jesus couldn't rescue this season - Cassel won't cut it, simple as.

TBH, with Brady out, Merriman's knee and the Colt's after playing their worst game in maybe 5 seasons, and looking very average in offence and defense, the league is wide-open.

Neither will simms or Rattay thats my point leave the rookie and let him learn the NFL. Give him his go as Hazys said he knows the system and is just as good as those other 2 clowns. The only real choice out there would be Daunte Culpepper but he retired. Every Pats fan including myself knows our season has already become a failure but heck I would rather see Cassell try and fail as a rookie than two losers we already know are sh*t. And washed up QBs are QBs that have tried and failed and in fairness you cannot put Kurt warner in the same bracket as Simms or Rattay.

They mite struggle to do it, but this team has 53 players on it if 1 player (even the most important player) goes down they dont go from 18-1 to 8-8 because of one player, its a bit unrealistic.

Oh dear. This isn't like losing Ben Watson. Brady IS your offense.

I agree with tallaghtoutlaws on playing Cassell as opposed to a bum like Simms. He has had a previous shot in the NFL as a starter and failed to impress overall. Infact, this whole incident highlights the importance of having a competent number two guy on the roster.

Take the Titans - when Young went down last night they were able to hand the ball to Kerry Collins. Not the best QB in the world - but a hugely experienced guy who can move the chains. He also stepped in for a few games last year and performed adequately. If Simms is the best unsigned option available at present - then I say give the ball to the untested and see what happens.

We lost Brady at the start and Cassel moved the chains ok when he got the chance, as I said before the running game was used a little too much last night imo. I think you are all underestimating Bill Belichick. I don't think this is nearly the disaster that you all think it is as long as we have a coach like him. Again the big if is whether Cassel can handle the pressure, I like the fact that he took Brady's spot on the radio this morning, means Belichick is already getting him into the role, rather than sending one of the other big names to do that show.

• Advertisement

Pats fans worship Belichick as a miracle worker, but Jesus couldn't rescue this season - Cassel won't cut it, simple as.

Can we be somewhat realistic here. People are talking like the Patriots will have the number 1 pick in next years draft.

Like i said before the Patriots still have one of the strongest rosters in the NFL without Brady. The Patriots are still favourites for the AFC East. On PaddyPowers.com they are 8/1 to win the Superbowl, 3rd favourite. Theres a lot of haters who wanna see the Patriots crumble and it will be even more satisfing when we beat their asses.

I have faith in Matt Cassel, so does Bill in the press conference he said he wont be working out anymore QBs.

Can we be somewhat realistic here. People are talking like the Patriots will have the number 1 pick in next years draft.

No one has said that except the Pat fans who cant seem to read and think everyone is saying the team is doomed.

Everything I have seen is that the team will go 9-7 or 10-6 and make it to the play-offs but thats as far as it will get.

You know what my view has changed even more now becuase of the Patriot haters and people who obviously live in fantasy land. When did the Patriots become a one man show. Lets look at it without Welker and Moss and that big O-line, Tom Brady would not have had the ability to throw those 50 td's yes TB is fooking the best but as the lads said we do have an outstanding offense without Brady. If Cassell gets confident and BB works with him why cant he take us there. Nobody can really judge Cassell yet until he plays his first full season so lets fooking give him his chance. I have faith in no 16. Go Pats

Anyway, enough about the Pat's. The big game is tonight.

It's been tough being a Raiders fan for the last few years but finally I think we've turn a corner. We have probaly the best secondary in the league, if we can help stop the run then we'll have an excellent defense this year. And with such an impressive stable of RB's we wont have any trouble running the ball.

Our lack of WR's is a worry, especially with it being Jamarcus russell first year starting but I expect a big year for TE Zack Miller(definite fantasty sleeper). Again our o-line is awful on the passing front but once he gets a small bit of time in the pocket he should be able to dump it off to DMCalot.

I am most looking forward to seeing Michael Bush, I think he'll be an excellent RB and hopefully a brilliant 1-2 combo with DMC for years to come. The fact it's the broncos tonight makes it even better.

Prediction: Just win baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

The team who comes out the best this weekend is the Jets.Brady's injury means its wide open for them and this Farve fella aint half bad;)(imagine how good he will be when he learns the system:D)

Nice to see Chad play well also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement