Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish teacher from HELL

Options
  • 01-09-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

OMG, not only does she speak to us as if we're 4 year olds, she also makes no sense in her notes. my notes for "Cearrbhach mac Cába" are as follows.

"The main character was a gambler. He carried a pack of cards. The neighbours helped his wife give birth. He met a stranger on the road, who was young and handsome. He was angry with God. He met an ugly, skeletal stranger. He was death. He was his sons godfather. God baptised the child."

That is IT. I have NO IDEA what's going on,does anyone have any good Irish sites links??:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

OMG, not only does she speak to us as if we're 4 year olds, she also makes no sense in her notes. my notes for "Cearrbhach mac Cába" are as follows.

"The main character was a gambler. He carried a pack of cards. The neighbours helped his wife give birth. He met a stranger on the road, who was young and handsome. He was angry with God. He met an ugly, skeletal stranger. He was death. He was his sons godfather. God baptised the child."

That is IT. I have NO IDEA what's going on,does anyone have any good Irish sites links??:pac:

While thats paraphrasing the story a bit, its not far off it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

LOL how's that for condensing your notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

I know the sting of a bad Irish teacher...stilted and fragmented notes being their weapon of choice..I just made Fiuntas 2 my friend. Didn't go memorising long paragraphs from it though. Just remember Irish is like a really ridiculously easy version of English, just that in another language :pac: The questions are standard, the concepts of the stories and poems are easy, and your own opinions and interpretations are fine, probably refreshing. You only need the vocabulary to express them in, which the adjective junkie that wrote Fiuntas will eagerly provide.

I never actually did find a good notes site, in fact I never found any site, just skoool.ie, which seems to just whittle down Fiuntas notes.

If you have answers or plans prepared for all paper and sample paper questions, you'll most likely have every angle to the poems and prose covered.

Don't envy anyone sitting the '09 Irish paper, people are going to have to study Cearrbhach again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

revise wise is excellent,only 8.95 aswell. i originally did the leaving in 2006 and am repeating this year,bought this book the other day an it summarises all the stories,films an poems and gives sample answers and good avise on letter writing,stories ,essays etc.
    from what i remember of 2 years ago,this book seems pretty much the same as the notes i was given in the institute,although thats probably because my teacher wrote the book,its staright to the point,no bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Wow, those are pretty shocking notes alright! :eek:
    Out of curiosity are you doing Higher or Ordinary?

Either way, it would probably be worth getting Dreimire if you haven't done so yet. I found the notes on the prose, and indeed all other aspects of the course, quite good.

There are some notes on Cearrbhach on skool.ie: http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=3802
    It's not much but it's a handy summary to have once you understand the story a little better.

Is your teacher really that bad? How are ye going to manage all the poetry and essays if she can't even teach ye An Cearrbhach?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

littlneutralone- im sitting the 2010 paper, not '09, thank God!! If I was doing the Leaving this year.... oh I shudder thinking about it!:eek:

leesmom- ooh revisewise, I'd forgotten all about them!! my saviour!! I'm getting that tomorrow for DEFINETE :D

square_igloo- I'm doing Higher, sorry I should've mentioned it!! Although I'm seriously thinking about getting Grinds after Easter or something maybe... And yes, she's terrible. She doesn't do any grammar at ALL :eek: all I can say is thank God for the Gaeltacht, I'm holding onto the notes I got there for dear LIFE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Is she hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

The Walsho wrote: »
    Is she hot?
    my thoughts exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

In fairness, it's a pretty stupid story anyway.. that is (a quite condensed) summary of it.. but you're right, doesn't make all that much sense. That said, the story didn't either...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My Irish teacher doesn't let us take down notes while she's speaking and doesn't let us write down translations. She'll read a poem in class and never explain it. We've done no oral or aural work and haven't even started an triail. I dropped down to ordinary level the other day after getting a B in higher level in the junior. One person can really ruin something for you, I'm off the language forever.

Sorry for the rant OP, I guess I was trying to say I feel your pain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I would strongly recommend "Smaointe! - Aistí don Ardteist (Ardleibhéal)" by Diarmaid Ó Tuama, (pub. C J Fallon) if you're looking for a good resource to help develop your essay-writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

phasers wrote: »
    My Irish teacher doesn't let us take down notes while she's speaking and doesn't let us write down translations. She'll read a poem in class and never explain it. We've done no oral or aural work and haven't even started an triail. I dropped down to ordinary level the other day after getting a B in higher level in the junior. One person can really ruin something for you, I'm off the language forever.

Sorry for the rant OP, I guess I was trying to say I feel your pain...

LC is not a scratch on this great language. Its just a memory test forcing you to learn of reams of ridiculous poetry, non-sensical stories and random pockets of history. Your decision to move to pass is a great one IMO. I did the same just because of the workload and the crazy irrellevance of what I would have had to learn. IMO the subject which requires the most work for the LC is Irish even if you have a talent for it. But please don't let it put you off the language itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

square_igloo- I'm doing Higher, sorry I should've mentioned it!! Although I'm seriously thinking about getting Grinds after Easter or something maybe... And yes, she's terrible. She doesn't do any grammar at ALL :eek: all I can say is thank God for the Gaeltacht, I'm holding onto the notes I got there for dear LIFE
    the notes that the teacher gave you would get you an A1 in ordinary :)
    and teachers don't teach irish grammar, it's a fact of life

if you REALLY want to know the grammar( and it's really easy too) go into a library and look for "Irish Grammar: A Basic Handbook" by Noel McGonagle :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Grammar-Handbook-Noel-McGonagle/dp/0781806674
    it's all you need if you wanna the grammar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

I had a teacher like that. Also my Irish was poor. Got a B in my junior but I literally just learned everything off. Anyway my LC teacher was the devil reborn and just barely skimmed over the information. Also despised me cause I hated the language and she knew it! But I stuck with it and got a C1 in higher level. Even tho it wasn't counted for my LC it is an achievement I'm proud of :) You should be okay if you've gone to the Gaeltacht and don't get grinds till you're closer to the actual leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Your Irish teacher should probably have added "The moral of the story is that good things only happen to bad people". At least that's what I got from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I'm here for any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I'm here for any questions.

Are you hot? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

The Walsho: if you would call an old woman in her late 50s, white hair, huge lovehndles and a red face hot, well then she's pretty hot. :pac: my teachers wierd... :(oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My teacher's a witch. Honest to god, she always talks about them and once she started a sentence with "us witches" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I've always found Irish teachers to be the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Conor108 wrote: »
    I've always found Irish teachers to be the worst.

That's because they're fighting a losing battle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can anyone tell me what he used the 3 wishes to do in the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annabel

Hi I am a n Irish teacher and if it helps I have simplified Clare sa spéir and Cearrbhach An cearrbhach very complicated If I were you I would not concentrate heavily on it or Lig sin i Gcathu and concentrate on Fiche Bliain ag fás , An Bhean óg and Clare sa spéir , if you like I could Pm some of my notes for obvious reason can't say too much online annabel

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annabel

The Cearrbhach used his three wishes for Bua Dochtuiri an Domhain ( To be best doctor in the world
    Bua cearrbhaigh an Domhain ( To Be best gamler in the world)
    aon duine a ghoideann ull ó chrann an chearrbhaigh beidh a lámh greamaithe don chrann

Anyone who took an apple from the gamblers tree would have their hand stuck to the tree .

hope this helps

sorry couln't put fadas in for some reason alt gr not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

my teacher is an absolute witch aswel. the way she goes on it absolutely wrecks my head!!
    on all the poems all she ever talks about is ''friotal'' and ''uaim'' and then she gives us a lc question and every1 gets it wrong and she goes mad! :

oh and i feel your pain about an cearrbhach. i was out for the week we did that and i missed the whole thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

OMG,she speak to us as if we're 4 year olds, :pac:

You think thats treating you like a 4 year old.
    Our teacher gave us out 3 pages of pictures as our notaí on Cearrbhach.
    Daah, We isn't the smartiest class:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

actually now that we are talking about cearrbhach i need help coz i missed some of it and i have a test!

what are the tricks he plays on death? just a quick explanation in english so i dont fail if anyone can help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Mine knocks us down at every opportunity and leaves nothing to the imagination...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RALL!

I have a terrible Irish teacher:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

GA361 wrote: »
    You think thats treating you like a 4 year old.
    Our teacher gave us out 3 pages of pictures as our notaí on Cearrbhach.
    Daah, We isn't the smartiest class:p

That is one of the saddest things I have ever read. :(

Although I do love the mental image of someone in your class doing their exam and answering on An Cearrbhach with just drawings and no words! :D

Advertisement