Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 cylinder - also no googling

Options
  • 01-09-2008 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

5-cylinder engines in modern-ish cars (1970+)

extra points for 5-cylinder longitudinally mounted FWD cars :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Too easy - Audi 5-pot 2.2........

Aaaaah, I miss my Quattro..........think what'd it'd be worth today ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Volvo T5/D5, VW Transporter spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be thinking:

Focus ST

Volvo T5 and D5

Audi Quattro, and some other new Audis (can't remember which ones)

That's all I can think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Isn't the VW 20V on the MK IV golf's etc a 5 pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

why only longitudinal ?

Fiat Coupe 20v in both Turbo and NA.
    Ditto the Focus ST.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote: »
    Volvo T5/D5, .

Dammit, that was mine. :)

Can I reuse it and just say the Renault Safrane? :) (IT had a Renault rocker cover)

EDIT, this is the one I'm thinking of, does it fit in with the above? (T5 or D5?) 2.5L, 20v Volvo B524 I5, 168 bhp (125 kW/170 PS)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Ford Focus ST, and all the volvo's and other fords that use the same engine.
    Vw Golf Mk4, 2.3 v5. Other VAGs used this engine as well afaik
    Land Rover Defender, up until last year (Take that rebel ranter!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

US Spec MK5 Jetta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

touareg 5 pot 2.5 - its half a 5.0 v10 !
    I used to love the offbeat tudtud of the Audi 5 pot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

galwaytt wrote: »
    why only longitudinal ?

Because it's so unusual - I can't think of any other than Audi.

Anyone know a longitudinal 5 pot with FWD?

@longshanks100 - the 20V VW engine is a 4 pot if it's the 1.8, though the did a V5 with 20 valves too(the Golf and Toeldo 170 bhp V5)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Isn't the VW 20V on the MK IV golf's etc a 5 pot?

Nope, 5 valves per cylinder..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

E92 wrote: »
    Anyone know a longitudinal 5 pot with FWD?
    i do - as i've seen such a setup (a friend's car) - i asked the same question on the longitudinal thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

monster1 wrote: »
    Nope, 5 valves per cylinder..

As pointed out by E92 above - learn something new everyday!

Mk 5 Vw Rabbit;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

my alfa 156 2.4 jtd is a five pot, as are my my fiat coupe 20 valve turbos. The fiat stilo abarth is also five cylinder, the new focus rs is a five pot and wasn't there a five pot version of the seat toledo?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Mercedes 300D

siralfalot wrote: »
    wasn't there a five pot version of the seat toledo?

There was indeed.A 2.3 V5 was available in the toledo in the early 00's.Fairly useless, though.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Mercedes 300D

300SD was a 5 pot too - and 85% of S-classes at the time in North America had this engine believe it or not:eek:.

Audi's very first TDI in 1989 was a 5 pot 2.5 IIRC too.

The 80,90 and 100 all had 5 pot engines at one stage or another.

I'd love to see more 5 pot engines - they're a hell of a lot more interesting sounding than fours - not to mention that they're presumably a lot smoother too(though not as good as a straight 6) and I'm sure with a bit of direct injection and other technologies that they're only a shade heavier than 4 pot engines on fuel consumption.

The best are meant to be nearly as smooth as a straight 6 yet only a little heavier than 4 pot for fuel consumption - so hopefully in these more eco conscious times they'll make a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

Mercedes 300D

W115 240D/3.0
    W123 300D
    W116 300D

and my W108 with the W123 300D machine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The old fiat bravo and the marea had the same n/a 2.0 5 pot as the fiat coupe, the marea also had the 2.4 5 pot diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Mercedes 270cdi was a 5-pot .. used in the C,E,ML etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Bah... only saw this thread now, anything I can think of has been covered.
    Fiat 100-90 anyone? :)

@E92, actually 5cyl's apparently are a little imbalanced, not as smooth running as 4 cylinders, hence the distinct off-beat warble of the Quattro. That's what I've read anyway!

Biro wrote: »
    E92, actually 5cyl's apparently are a little imbalanced, not as smooth running as 4 cylinders, hence the distinct off-beat warble of the Quattro. That's what I've read anyway!

Read this page

It explains the whole thing(i.e. why 5 is better than 4, apart from the noise of course;))!

E92 wrote: »
    Read this page

It explains the whole thing(i.e. why 5 is better than 4, apart from the noise of course;))!
    Ah yes, it was the fact that 5-cyl engines are not inherintly balanced that I had in my head. That's the problem with them. I love the sound though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

that article makes mention of - afaik - what is the only japanese 5 cylinder engine - the one in the honda vigor. it's also longitudinally mounted even though the car is fwd.

i wouldnt have believed it except a friend has a vigor and i've seen the engine in real life - the engine can also be made fit a citroen DS aparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Biro wrote: »
    Ah yes, it was the fact that 5-cyl engines are not inherintly balanced that I had in my head. That's the problem with them. I love the sound though!
    They're lovely, aren't they? Better than some V6s, IMO.

They're lovely, aren't they? Better than some V6s, IMO.

I agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Datsun Patrol (3.3 ltr I think)

also,

Merc 190D 2.5, that was a 5 pot too. (I think already coverd tho)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

W115 240D/3.0
    W123 300D
    W116 300D

and my W108 with the W123 300D machine ;)

.........yeah the W115 240D 3.0 was the first 5 cylinder mass produced engine. Was there any 5 cylinder cars before that ?

I am only coming to these threads now and am surprised nobody cited the Benz 3.0 diesel earlier.

I agree that the early 5 cylinder Audi''s sounded fab. That engine combined with the Coupe looks in the early 80's really made for a cracking car, very handsome.

Advertisement