Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Locking of Threads on Photographic forum!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have allowed Calina access to the Helpdesk. The thread says 'This thread is closed pending mod discussion' so I take it the moderators of the forum are discussing the running of the forum maybe in relation to a matter on that thread, which is their business really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Surely it is the business of the users of the Forum and not solely that of the moderators!

The Moderators job is to ensure that nothing untoward happens on the Forum, not to lock threads and then to tell users that it is none of their business as to why, this smacks of a new mod trying to make a name for herself, by locking threads!

Can anyone see any reason why this thread was blocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surely it is the business of the users of the Forum and not solely that of the moderators!
    That really depends on what's being discussed.
    The Moderators job is to ensure that nothing untoward happens on the Forum, not to lock threads and then to tell users that it is none of their business as to why, this smacks of a new mod trying to make a name for herself, by locking threads!
    Locking threads and ensuring nothing "untowards" happens are not mutually exclusive. For a variety of reasons, you have no right to know why or how or what about threads being locked.

There is an issue around that thread which the moderators are looking into. There is nothing you can do to help, so you don't need to know why it's been locked. When the matter's been resolved, the thread will probably be reopened. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Courtesy to Ruu, I will respond very briefly here.

The thread in question was locked yesterday to allow a discussion on the part of the mods about aspects of it. This was made clear in the post announcing the thread closure. I also stated via PM later that in general closures of this nature were temporary.

As far as I can see, DodgyKeeper wants to know what the detail of the mod discussions are and I fail to understand, since it wasn't his thread in the first place and he only has two posts in it, why he needs or feels entitled to be au fait with the detail of those discussions. Other than voicing a sense of entitlement, he has not outlined why exactly he should have the right to know about problems in that thread. I can, however, confirm that they do not relate to his posts in it if that is weighing on his mind.

With respect to re-opening that thread, it is still the subject of mod discussion.

Regards,

Calina.

My problem is that I cannot see any reason for this thread to be closed, the mod in question warned users recently that she was not to be messed with and would be a tought mod, this seems to me to be a flexing of muscles.

• Advertisement

My problem is that I cannot see any reason for this thread to be closed, the mod in question warned users recently that she was not to be messed with and would be a tought mod, this seems to me to be a flexing of muscles.
    There are many things which you cannot see, which the mods can.

It may be a settling in period, but you need to give the mod the benefit of the doubt that they're doing what's in the interests of the forum. Being a mod gets you no fringe benefits and doesn't give you any kind of "power trip". Even when a mod is taking the piss, they very quickly get pulled up on it.

Randomly going around locking threads, banning people and editing posts will kill any forum, so moderators don't do it.

seamus wrote: »
    There are many things which you cannot see, which the mods can.

The all seeing all knowing mods?

What can they see that we cannot?

Some details of posts, infractions, bans, that kind of stuff.

They also tend to read a lot more of the forum than others, so recognise certain users' patterns or know something of their history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

(( I requested access from Ruu so that a Forum Mod could come and deal with your query directly, rather than having poor Seamus here dealing with it ))

Now then, to deal with your issue, one thread was locked and it wasn't randomly. I take issue with your thread title as it is sensationalist. But that is just me.

Now then, i still cannot figure out why you are so eager to find out more about that thread. This is also not the first time you have taken it upon yourself to question Mod decisions.

In short, we shut down that thread because the actions of a poster needed to be examined and discussed. This poster was not you. The only interaction you had with that thread was posting some of your own images in it. You did not start the thread, nor were you the subject matter of our discussion, so the only two reasons you might need to know what happened do not apply in this case.

Personally i would hate to think that any private communications between myself and anyone else would be made public and in effect this is what you are asking. The policy on boards.ie is that we do not make the contents of PM's public, least of to the forum users who's only interest in the issue is secondary.

If you were meant to be aware of what was contained in any private communications then you would have been clued in on them. You were not because they are not relevant to you.

It's about that simple.

I believe this deals with all your issues, though i assume it will not be satisfactory. Sadly there is nothing further i can offer you other than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would also like to add at this stage that we have decided not to unlock the thread on this occasion following on from those discussions.

• Advertisement

So at this stage do we get an explanation as to why the thread was locked?

Dragan wrote: »
    (( I requested access from Ruu so that a Forum Mod could come and deal with your query directly, rather than having poor Seamus here dealing with it ))

Calina as a forum mod has been dealing with this as well as poor Seamus, so why you feel to get involved is beyond me.

Now then, to deal with your issue, one thread was locked and it wasn't randomly. I take issue with your thread title as it is sensationalist. But that is just me.

Now then, i still cannot figure out why you are so eager to find out more about that thread. This is also not the first time you have taken it upon yourself to question Mod decisions.

I realised after posting initially that the word random was not the right one and tried to edit it, but was only able to edit the content of the post, so for this I apoligise.

The last time I questioned a Mods decision was when the mod decided to pubilically rebuke a poster who had responded to personal abuse in a thread, while the abuser did not get a public rebuke, (he got an infraction which is rather less public that the publin post shep recieved)

I will continue to question Mod decesions if I believe they are wrong which I have done in these two cases.

So at this stage do we get an explanation as to why the thread was locked?

No. You do not need to know this.

How many times need i say this?

It is not currently a matter for public consumption and is currently between the Mods of the forum and those above us who need to be aware.

Thats it.

I also find it stretching that you would consider me politely asking shep to use the report post function as a rebuke. ( once again your are kind of misleading the argument, the abuse was not aimed at Shep, so he had no reason to take a poster to task for it ).

But to each their own.

Surely one of the reasons for locking threads is to send out a message that the content is unacceptable, if nobody has a clue as to why a thread was locked nobody will learn from it and it will be repeated, surely you didnt lock it due to criticism of paulw's images?

Surely one of the reasons for locking threads is to send out a message that the content is unacceptable, if nobody has a clue as to why a thread was locked nobody will learn from it and it will be repeated, surely you didnt lock it due to criticism of paulw's images?

Only if they were to impact the forum as a whole, if they only affect one users then they stay secret. Simple as.

We have yet to decide what kind of impact the carryon from that thread will have on the rest of the forum.

We will shortly decide and act accordingly.

Hanging out of Mods will not make anything go faster.

As all ready stated, we will not be telling you at the moment ( or possible ever ) why that thread was locked, as it is not your concern.

I really cannot make that any clearer.

Advertisement