Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gas turbine engine - no googling

Options
  • 01-09-2008 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

gas turbines were mad and made it into a few cars - you know the drill:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Batmobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Rover something or other.... there is one in the science museum in London

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Batmobile?
    *bam*
    *pow*
    LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Chrysler made one back in the 60's. I think it was called the Chrysler Turbine or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Didn't the Renault 25 come with a gas powered engine at some stage, have no clue if it was a gas turbine...or is there another type?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Was probably LPG (or similar).

Gas turbine is mad - looks like a jet engine in the middle of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

There was a Formula 1 team years ago that experimented for a season with GT engines as far as I recall, although I don't remember when or who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It was a Lotus, and banned immediately as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Chrysler was the main proponent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3QvkpMqc0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

It was a Lotus, and banned immediately as I recall.

That's the feller. Off topic, but wasn't there a problem that it was blisteringly fast when it got going, but it's acceleration from 0 to 60 was about ten minutes:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Also made it into a Motorbike. The MTT turbine bike had a Rolls Royce aircraft engine, and because the bike could in theory go 250mph+, it didn't have mirrors, but instead, a tft screen, and rear facing camera lest your neck be snapped by the wind forces of turning your neck.

Jay Leno has one, and he melted the front bumper of a car behind him in traffic one day as the bike was idling!

Advertisement