Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I paranoid?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi posters,

I'd like to know in your learned opinion if I am paranoid with regards to a work situation? I work in the Civil Service for several years and I would consider myself a diligent and honest worker. For some unknown reason I was never much good at interviews and tended to fail most interviews I did for promotion. To my delight last year I passed an interview and received my placing on the interview panel for a certain area of the country

Last March I reached no.1 on the panel and thought it was only a matter of time before I got that much coveted promotion I always wanted. At that time there was a vacancy in my office for the position that I was no.1 on the panel for. I contacted my HR section and was informed that it was up to Senior Management to decide if the position was deemed important enough to fill. Senior Management decided at that time that the psotion would not filled due to budgetary constraints within the office. However since this position became available there have been around 10 promotions (not in the same grade) around the office with no talk of budgetary constraints. Maybe it's just a coincidence but all of the above promotions have been female. While I can only admire the Governments attempts to address the gender imbalance within the Civil Service, I feel this could be a reason for my failure to secure this position.

I have been in constant contact with HR and basically I am being fobbed off. I find it extremely frustrating and stressful and at this stage I believe there is someone in the HR area denying me the promotion that I was entitled to. I have contacted my Union but as usual I am getting nowhere with them.

My Office are also paying for me to do an evening course which is directly related to my work so I am bewildered as to why this is happening. I believe my work is is of a high standard and my direct supervisors would have no problem vouching for that. However I now feel my standards are beginning to slip as I really don't have the motivation to bother as I just feel my hard work is not being recognised.

Sorry for the really long post but am I just very unlucky or is there something else behind this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

anidor wrote: »
    at this stage I believe there is someone in the HR area denying me the promotion that I was entitled to. I have contacted my Union but as usual I am getting nowhere with them.

Sounds like there isn't a requirment to fill the position that you are looking for and this is entrenched by budget requirments, other positions that are being filled at the moment probably have priority.

I do have a gripe with your claim that you are entitles to a promotion, in my opinion nobody is entitled to promotions. And I would believe that most people who have a problem with the efficiencies within the civil service do so due to attitudes like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You're paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

hmm lets see how the budget goes first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

anidor wrote: »
    I have been in constant contact with HR and basically I am being fobbed off. I find it extremely frustrating and stressful and at this stage I believe there is someone in the HR area denying me the promotion that I was entitled to.

What's this, a civil servant with a sense of entitlement? :eek:

You are not entitled to this promotion, you simply have first option on it.
    And if there wasn't the budget for this position before, you'd think this position will be gone after the budget in October. So you may be stuck where you are. But at least you have a secure job, remember that.

You've failed a number of interviews. A lot of people would be humiliated at failing several interviews, especially in front of their managers and HR. Some congrats on persevering and for continuing to try. :)

The other promotions are for another grade so they don't affect you. Or maybe you should have tried for them too?
    Yes, you are paranoid and you've an area of personal development you can start working on if you want to be proactive and not bitter

Advertisement