Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City for 4th?

• 02-09-2008 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

We're all thinking it, do you think its probable?

Personally, I think it could be. However their defence is relatively weak. But their attack is pretty bloody impressive.

---SWP
    Kompany--Johnson----Petrov---
    Robinho
    Jo

Sorry but thats really really impressive, with fantastic balance as well. Ireland adding something from the bench aswell.

Their defence is pretty much the first 4, but they have it in them to keep clean sheets.

I can see them challenging for top 4. This season might not make it, but next season they are going to put the top 4 under serious pressure, especially after 2 more windows of buying.

What do you think about City's chance 42 votes

Will make top 4
    0%
    Good chance they will make the top 4
    4%
    Juan PabloHeisenberg. 2 votes
    Just going to challenge the top 4
    28%
    RasTaPHBLafortezzaCactus ColT-b0n3tribulusmikemacDave!judas101[Deleted User]CHDbUILDERtHEbOB 12 votes
    Unlikely to challenge
    66%
    PiEcournioniLudoChongpickarooneyKoldeirebhoyjesus_thats_greBig EarsJazzymicksDave147~Rebel~GrumPyDayshaLuckyLloydXavi6fatgavcarlopbrayblue24 28 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

city wont do anything this season

next season i fully expect top 4 alrite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Unlikely to challenge
    Could possibly challenge Arsenal but it'll take more than Robinho to make that happen. Selling Corluka was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Unlikely to challenge
    They can challenge for the top 4 but won't get into it I'd say. All depends on what happens at Anfield and the Emirates in the coming weeks and months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Can't see top 4 this season 'less the spend huuuuuuuuuuuuge during January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unlikely to challenge
    They are now favs for fifth. They will still have problems with squad depth though for this year and it may take Jo and Robinho a lot of games to get humming in the different environment of the premiership. So no, I don't think they will ultimately qualify for the CL.

Long term though, money talks. Clearly they have it and from next year on there are five teams - and then there are the also rans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Unlikely to challenge
    The signings that they will make over Christmas will probably be enough to make 4th but they could beout of the running by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The new Leeds.

Alan Ball Part Deux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i wonder what elano makes of this signing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I don't think that lineup is anything amazing. Infact I'd have Young, Milner, Barry and ReoCoker over their midfield, and Gabby and Carew over Robinho and Jo playing in the English league anyway. Huge amount of hype today if you ask me.

DSB wrote: »
    I don't think that lineup is anything amazing. Infact I'd have Young, Milner, Barry and ReoCoker over their midfield, and Gabby and Carew over Robinho and Jo playing in the English league anyway. Huge amount of hype today if you ask me.

anyone who thinks theyll manage even top 6 this season is crazy

one player does not a good team make, theyll be hit and miss as usual this year

id expect MASSIVE money spent in january tho, with the intention of getting a lot of their main targets in to bed them down in the second half of the season leaving them on for a title challenge next season (where they WILL finish top 4)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think its going to make it very interesting. If they are in the picture at Christmas they are not out of making a serious challenge for the PL itself.

I would say that they realistically have to be within 6 points of the top four at Christmas if they are going to make it. If they end up within 6 points of the leaders at Christmas then with the budget that is obviously available, well anything is possible.

I have to admit I'm tempted to jump on the bandwagon. I'm quite disillusioned with Blackburn at the moment and I'm a real fan of sparky.

I mentioned last night that they were top four contenders before they bought anyone else, I didn't expect this signing or the other two they made yesterday.

I'd have to disagree with Lloyd about squad depth, maybe up front but they have it in midfield and defence imo.

Edit to say, I think Xavi is going to cream himself when he wakes up and sees what has happened.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think its going to make it very interesting. If they are in the picture at Christmas they are not out of making a serious challenge for the PL itself.

adding robinho, a bloke who has no english and is temperamental to say the least, will not push city into the position of being challenging for the premiership in january
    I mentioned last night that they were top four contenders before they bought anyone else

they were nowhere near it, and still arent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unlikely to challenge
    I'd have to disagree with Lloyd about squad depth, maybe up front but they have it in midfield and defence imo.

Who is covering Dunner and Richards at center back? Who comes in when Petrov is out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Robinho will be another Shevchenko. What a waste of money. They paid well over the odds. The guy only scored 11 goals for Madrid last season and just 6 the season before that.

£32 million plus for that record? For a guy completely unproven in the Premiership? Madness.

Agbonlahor scored 11 goals in the Premiership last season and they could have bought him for less than two-thirds of that price I'm sure.

He seems to have a dodgy temperament too if Real's story is true that he started crying to instigate a move and threatened to fly to Brazil and not come back.

This season City won't be top six in my view, never mind top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Now that they've wrapped up the Robinho signing, they should focus all their attention on getting Danny Mills to commit to a long term deal.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but to flatly come out and say it so clearly is just ridiculous. Have you seen their last two game?
    Imo the most impressive performances in the last two weeks.

Edit to say, I think sparky is the big signing for Man. City. I really think people are grossly underestimating him as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

one player does not a good team make, theyll be hit and miss as usual this year

One top class player makes a good team great. Young has done that for City imo. Robinho can do that for City. However its not just that for me about City.

They have a very very very strong attack.
    Ireland, SWP, Petrov, Elano, Jo, Robinho in any sort of combination is v. v. v. impressive. Jo for me is an extremely good player whenever I see him.

And they were v. impressive at the start of last season under Sven.
    Added to that Hughes who I've great respect for as a manger, and I think they really could be onto something. Keep in mind I'm a United fan, and I'd enjoy nothing more than to see them flop :)

p.s. There's no way in my mind they are anywhere near United or Chelseas squads. No chance of a title challenge at all. But if Arsenal and Liverpool don't play well [if anyone, imo, it will be the latter], City have a good chance.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but to flatly come out and say it so clearly is just ridiculous. Have you seen their last two game?
    Imo the most impressive performances in the last two weeks.

i have yeah, and ive also seen the other side of the coin with their first leg uefa game and beating at villa

theyre far far too inconsistent

they wont finish above villa for starters

however im fully aware that this is the last season we'll finish above man city for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Unlikely to challenge
    I have to admit I'm tempted to jump on the bandwagon. I'm quite disillusioned with Blackburn at the moment and I'm a real fan of sparky.

As soon as I saw the news yesterday I knew this would happen. Does this mean I won't now be the only overweight, balding, middle-aged City supporter in an ill fitting jersey wandering around Dublin Airport at 4am on Saturday mornings?? I presume now the Sunderland shirts will be consigned to the press along with the Newcastle, Leeds and Blackburn ones?

PS eagle eye.. not a personal attack on you but just an observation on a situation I see developing

PPS My vote says it still won't happen till next year but the signing of Robinho will up the profile of the club but I will be at the COMS in 2 weeks time. Interesting to see the atmosphere then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Robinho was absolutely fantastic for Real last season, probably the best player (bar Casillas) for a team that won La Liga with a record number of points , so I don't think one can critisise his performances. He is however a naive spoilt boy. I hope he does well at City, but he is unfortunately a part of the money hungering Brazil generation that seems to be around at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Robinho will be another Shevchenko. What a waste of money. They paid well over the odds. The guy only scored 11 goals for Madrid last season and just 6 the season before that.

£32 million plus for that record? For a guy completely unproven in the Premiership? Madness.

Agbonlahor scored 11 goals in the Premiership last season and they could have bought him for less than two-thirds of that price I'm sure.

He seems to have a dodgy temperament too if Real's story is true that he started crying to instigate a move and threatened to fly to Brazil and not come back.

This season City won't be top six in my view, never mind top four.

+1

I cant believe the hype around this guy, City are still City, top 6 at best, anyone saying they will be within a few points at Christmas and then spend big in January and steal the title is frankly dreaming. H Y P E . . . Remember when West Ham bought Tevez/Mascherano, that went well... Anyone remember when Leeds bought big? ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

What a difference a day makes....

Hard to see anything other than short term gain with long term unsustainable spend policy at City. Robinho is a real head turning signing, no doubt, but £30m+ is huge money and that kind of investment means failure is not an option for Sparky Hughes and for City.

The fact Abramovich, with all his gazillions, wouldn't pay the extra few mil for Robinho really raises the question of whether Robinho was worth the punt. In 4 years he'll be 28 and can leave on a free, which means he will cost City £8m a season even before wages. I'm just not sure it makes any sense.

I'm a huge fan of all things Brazilian and was looking forward to seeing him in the Prem but moreso with Chelsea where I thought he'd fit his old pal Scolari's system to a tee. Don't know what to make of it all really.

Teams will struggle to handle City going forward, Elano, SWP, Petrov and Robinho is some strike force but in all honesty they are all flair players who have tendencies to go AWOL when the chips are down. Petrov's temprement is awful, Elano is a talent but most definitely a confidence player and Robinho, well his reputation speaks for itself really.

SWP is the only one there with any heart and genuine work rate...I guess what I'm saying is when the pressure is really on - can City rely on people like Jo to pull them thru or will they hit self destruct like so many 'galactico' type teams before them have done?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Who is covering Dunner and Richards at center back? Who comes in when Petrov is out?
    Well Kompany can play at centre back and Ben-Haim as well. I know Kompany started his career out at centre back. Ben Haim might not be great but his is steady.
    They have a lot of attacking talent now, I don't see a genuine replacement for him but they seemed to do alright without him on Sunday. They do have Nervy Castillo there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Unlikely to challenge

If I have a transfer kitty of £300m and I spend £32m, how much do I have left? £268m... Hmm, and how much do Liverpool and Arsenal have?

It's like those places charging 7quid for a pint, some people can afford to pay it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

When City get the balance right and two or three more top class players then they WILL be a top four team.New bandwagon on the way but at least the liverpool one will be alot smaller in 3/4 years :pac:

FearDark wrote: »
    +1

I cant believe the hype around this guy, City are still City, top 6 at best, anyone saying they will be within a few points at Christmas and then spend big in January and steal the title is frankly dreaming. H Y P E . . . Remember when West Ham bought Tevez/Mascherano, that went well... Anyone remember when Leeds bought big? ...
    They were only nine points off the leaders last Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Unlikely to challenge
    PHB wrote: »
    We're all thinking it, do you think its probable?

Personally, I think it could be. However their defence is relatively weak. But their attack is pretty bloody impressive.

---SWP
    Kompany--Johnson----Petrov---
    Robinho
    Jo

Sorry but thats really really impressive, with fantastic balance as well. Ireland adding something from the bench aswell.

Their defence is pretty much the first 4, but they have it in them to keep clean sheets.

I can see them challenging for top 4. This season might not make it, but next season they are going to put the top 4 under serious pressure, especially after 2 more windows of buying.

The only week position is left back tbh.

Defenders -

RB - Zabaleta/Onouha
    LB - Ball/Garrido
    CB - Dunne/Richards/Ben Haim

That's pretty damn solid.
    m@cc@ wrote: »
    Could possibly challenge Arsenal but it'll take more than Robinho to make that happen. Selling Corluka was a mistake.

Why? He wanted to leave (handed in a transfer request) and we've already more than replaced him with Zabaleta.
    i wonder what elano makes of this signing....

I'm sure he's very happy to have a quality Brazilian team mate at the same club.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Now that they've wrapped up the Robinho signing, they should focus all their attention on getting Danny Mills to commit to a long term deal.

Talks are underway on a ten year extension.
    Well Kompany can play at centre back and Ben-Haim as well. I know Kompany started his career out at centre back. Ben Haim might not be great but his is steady.
    They have a lot of attacking talent now, I don't see a genuine replacement for him but they seemed to do alright without him on Sunday. They do have Nervy Castillo there as well.

But he won't play cause he's quite frankly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kold wrote: »
    If I have a transfer kitty of £300m and I spend £32m, how much do I have left? £268m... Hmm, and how much do Liverpool and Arsenal have?

Liverpool and Arsenal have, for the most part, proven Premiership players. Money is great but if you don't spend it wisely it's not so wonderful. Remind me what Chelsea won last season?
    Kold wrote:
    It's like those places charging 7quid for a pint, some people can afford to pay it.

Sure but those people can sometimes buy too much of the 7 quid pints and end up feeling ill as a result the next day. ;)

Unlikely to challenge
    Folks, I say this as a City supporter of 34 years (I'm 41). City are City. It's never humdrum and that's part of the attraction. Just when you think things couldn't get worse..they do-but then they get better.When you get days like today all is good in the world-then they make some ludicrous decision and the turmoil begins again. I have been over there and seen football of an atrocious standard and I've seen SWP run Man Utd ragged or Goater disposses Neville on the byeline for famous wins. The next week they would lose to an already relegated team. It's just the way with City and that's why I still get up at stupid hours and go over...(I even persuaded one of my kids to join me-so for his sake and all the slagging he has got over the years I sincerely hope this latest development works out).

Just my hyped up, slightly off thread, tuppence worth..

• Advertisement

Unlikely to challenge
    brayblue24 wrote: »
    Folks, I say this as a City supporter of 34 years (I'm 41). City are City. It's never humdrum and that's part of the attraction. Just when you think things couldn't get worse..they do-but then they get better.When you get days like today all is good in the world-then they make some ludicrous decision and the turmoil begins again. I have been over there and seen football of an atrocious standard and I've seen SWP run Man Utd ragged or Goater disposses Neville on the byeline for famous wins. The next week they would lose to an already relegated team. It's just the way with City and that's why I still get up at stupid hours and go over...(I even persuaded one of my kids to join me-so for his sake and all the slagging he has got over the years I sincerely hope this latest development works out).

Just my hyped up, slightly off thread, tuppence worth..

I know how you feel mate.

All that bullying in school in the mid-90s was all worth while for days like this.

CTID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think people underestimate just how good a player Robinho really is. He really is a world class player and was immense for Madrid last season. No doubt he has attitude problems, but he had them last year and still performed on the pitch. If he can adjust [and it will be interesting to see if he can], he will be one of the best players in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I think people underestimate just how good a player Robinho really is. He really is a world class player and was immense for Madrid last season. No doubt he has attitude problems, but he had them last year and still performed on the pitch. If he can adjust [and it will be interesting to see if he can], he will be one of the best players in the premiership.

You speak the truth... And when this is all done and dusted, IF he does perform, I doubt City fans will care about the motives of his arrival.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

m@cc@ wrote: »

What makes you so sure it only Arsenal that they could challenge. Liverpool are in more bother of been dropped out of the top 4 than Arsenal imo...

+1

His goal record might not seem all that great but I've seen so many Real Madrid games with him playing and he is class....he makes alot of play too.

Unlikely to challenge
    His goal record for Madrid was 1 in 4. Hardly disgraceful considering he's a wide player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Edit to say, I think sparky is the big signing for Man. City. I really think people are grossly underestimating him as a manager.

+1

Still can't believe the deal and the fact Hughes hadn't spoken to Robinho by 00.30 last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Xavi6 wrote: »
    His goal record for Madrid was 1 in 4. Hardly disgraceful considering he's a wide player.
    Exactly - and 1 in 3 last year, for a player who was more about joining up the play between people like Emerson and Diarra and people like Raul and Van Nistelrooy than actually scoring goals himself, is nay too shabby when you consider what else he offers.

My only question would be about how much he'll actually be motivated (same problem City would've had if they'd gotten Berbatov by default) but with a few other Brazilians there, it could work out okay.

Either way, I'm a big fan of Robinho after seeing him in La Liga the last few years, I'd have loved him at Arsenal and I'm fascinated to see how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

One top class player makes a good team great. Young has done that for City imo. Robinho can do that for City. However its not just that for me about City.

They have a very very very strong attack.
    Ireland, SWP, Petrov, Elano, Jo, Robinho in any sort of combination is v. v. v. impressive. Jo for me is an extremely good player whenever I see him.

And they were v. impressive at the start of last season under Sven.
    Added to that Hughes who I've great respect for as a manger, and I think they really could be onto something. Keep in mind I'm a United fan, and I'd enjoy nothing more than to see them flop :)

p.s. There's no way in my mind they are anywhere near United or Chelseas squads. No chance of a title challenge at all. But if Arsenal and Liverpool don't play well [if anyone, imo, it will be the latter], City have a good chance.

3 games in, 7 points accumulated. We're performing dreadfully but there are many players not at full fitness. Gerrard, Mascherano and Babel just to name a few. We are the only Top 4 team that has played 2 away games, and we went to Villa Park and got a draw against a team who were just as content to sit back as we were to contain. I love how fans and pundits alike are jumping the gun.

As far as City go, I don't think Robinho is enough to propel them towards the Top 4. BUT, if they are still in touch by the time the January Transfer Window Opens, then they do have a good chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Good chance they will make the top 4
    Once Aguero, Messi, Kaka, Garay, Torres and Marcelo arrive in Jan we'll see how we fare :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Lot of bitter posts on here. Fair play to city. They have had years of heartbreak with Utd cleaning up but now they have more financial clout than Chelsea and Utd combined. I dont think Robinho will be a flop at all and think that Man City will next year be a top 4 team. It is hard to judge at who's expense at present. If Liverpool conclude the takeover soon then i'd say Arsenal or Utd after ferguson leaves will be the most at peril of finishing outside the top 4. If H&G stay at Anfield then Liverpool will become a mid-table side for years to come.One thing about the takeover of City now is that the likes of Spurs,Newcastle and Villa are now no hopers to make the Champs league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The thought of Man City securing a 4th place berth as the expense of Liverpool is Arsenal is a lovely thought. For Arsenal and Liverpool non qualification for the champions league will be the short term ending of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Aquos76 wrote: »
    What makes you so sure it only Arsenal that they could challenge. Liverpool are in more bother of been dropped out of the top 4 than Arsenal imo...

I think the reason Arsenal are in more trouble more than Liverpool at present of finishing outside the top 4 is because Wenger's obsessed with not spending money to improve the team. It is many people's opinion that Arsenal are weaker this year than last. Im actually shocked that he didnt make even one big money signing this summer. Could cost them dearly at seasons end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

gixerfixer wrote: »
    One thing about the takeover of City now is that the likes of Spurs,Newcastle and Villa are now no hopers to make the Champs league.

How do you come to that conclusion?
    Its very early days yet. And as most of the top 4 know it requires European football to attract the real quality players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

:eek:

Doodee wrote: »
    How do you come to that conclusion?
    Its very early days yet. And as most of the top 4 know it requires European football to attract the real quality players.

no hes dead right

unless one of those clubs breaks the top 4 this season, thats it. no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Unlikely to challenge
    Ir will be close i think, should make things more exciting and i'm sure they will soon have a few nice transfers arranged for January.

Unlikely to challenge

Welcome aboard! The first of many no doubt! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Welcome aboard! The first of many no doubt! :pac:

You're nothing but a glory hunter, Xavi. You'll never understand the struggles we Liverpool fans have. No money, dodgy owners etc.....and there you are with your riches and dreams of glory.

Unlikely to challenge
    monkey9 wrote: »
    You're nothing but a glory hunter, Xavi. You'll never understand the struggles we Liverpool fans have. No money, dodgy owners etc.....and there you are with your riches and dreams of glory.

LOL...brilliant post

Unlikely to challenge
    monkey9 wrote: »

"Where were you when you were shit?!" :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement