Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to keep a car in a perfect working order?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I would like to keep my car in as good of a condition as possible,

I was wondering though, what would one need to service or do about the car to keep it running perfectly?

I know about changing oil every 3k miles, and timing belt every 10k miles, if I'm not mistaken.

What else to watch and keep track of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What is one driving??? I don't know who your mechanic is but one is being screw*d if one is getting an oil change every 3,000 miles and a timing belt every 10,000 miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

One drives VW Polo, and one changes oil himself(that's the only thing one knows about servicing the car), though one hasn't changed the timing belt since the one bought the car, he still knew it was about 10k between changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

CyberGhost wrote: »
    One drives VW Polo, and one changes oil himself(that's the only thing one knows about servicing the car), though one hasn't changed the timing belt since the one bought the car, he still knew it was about 10k between changes?

It is about 10K between OIL changes :eek: I'm not sure specifically about the polo but you're probably looking between 35-55K between Timing belt changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

CyberGhost wrote: »

You should only be changing the timing belt every 40ishk miles, maybe I'm a bit off but you should be getting a lot more than 10k out of a timing belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ay, oil change every 10K Miles and timing belt after around the 40k to 50k miles mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Depending on the age of the Polo it'll be between 5k miles to 15k+ miles. Doing it at 3k is only needed if you drive the car 24/7. Timing belt is ~40k as others said.

To keep the car good, don't rev the bolloxs out of it when cold and don't drive into floods. Preform standard daily and weekly checks and it'll be fine. Do service tasks at manufactures recommended intervals, they're the experts on the car so should now how to look after it.

Advertisement